Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 05:04:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wrestler (2008)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wrestler (2008)  (Read 25311 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »

14-10 at half-time Whalestoe. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
Whalestoe
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »

14-10 at half-time Whalestoe. Cheesy

Now it's what, 21-10? Chargers always fucking blow it, man. I have ZERO faith in them anymore.

Bwuahahaha! Chargers don't deserve to win now. I hope they lose. That was pathetic.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:42:16 PM by Whalestoe » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »

Not after the muffed punt, especially. Cheesy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »

We win! Now, let's get back on topic... Eventually. Cheesy

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »

remind me who the fat ass blond is  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »

Ben Roethlisberger? Undecided

ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »

I wasn't a fan of Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain put me to sleep after 5 minutes, so I am not sure about this one.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »

I wasn't a fan of Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain put me to sleep after 5 minutes, so I am not sure about this one.

Stop thinking about it and go see it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »

2 Golden Globes, not bad.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »

remind me who the fat ass blond is  Cool

agnetha faltskog

http://www.leninimports.com/agnetha_faltskog_gallery_10.jpg

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »

Would mister Gump and Rourke be interested in this?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2009, 01:53:43 PM »

Here's the review at Big Hollywood. Sounds like the ending is a real shame:

Review: The Wrestler
by John Nolte

Director Darren Aronofsky’s stark look at the subculture of low-level professional wrestling builds to an impressive and ambitious character study that looks to be equal parts Requiem For A Heavyweight (1962) and The Set-Up (1949) before a predictable, cliched, cop-out of a climax unravels what had been so compelling into something more akin to What Price Narcissism?

Mickey Rourke summons a career performance as Randy “The Ram” Robinson, a washed up WWF-style wrestler who refuses to let go of his nearly extinguished celebrity even though his superstar days were left well behind decades ago in the era of spandex, big hair, and heavy metal anthems. With his long, stringy, bleached hair, artificial tan, and steroid-abused body, Robinson’s a hulking, grotesque monster of a man willing to suffer whatever it takes for another round of love from the crowd.

What he suffers most, however, are relentless humiliations, both big and small. Throughout New Jersey, Robinson spills blood in any seedy, makeshift gymnasium the circuit sets up. No matter how small the venue, though, the crowds still don’t reach capacity and he isn’t able to make even enough money to cover the rent on a depressing single-wide trailer he calls home. To supplement his income, Robinson deals in the drugs of his profession and unloads grocery trucks for a cruel, little man who lives to ridicule him.

Lonely and lost outside the ring, the faded superstar turns to Cassidy (Marisa Tomei), a fortyish stripper who for sixty bucks gives him something he needs even more than a topless lap dance, a few moments of gentle, human tenderness. Though it remains unspoken between them, both know few others can relate to life as aging performance-meat, with time running out and no future in sight.

After a particularly bloody and sadistic bout involving a staple gun and razor wire, Robinson wisely takes a doctor’s advice, retires, and goes about the business of building a normal life. He takes full-time hours at the grocery store, let’s Cassidy know how he feels about her, and after too many years reaches out to his estranged, college-aged daughter Stephanie (Evan Rachel Wood), whom he abandoned for fame when she was still a child.

The Wrestler has at least a dozen exceptional scenes that rank as the best of the year, all beautifully acted, shot and directed - especially those detailing the grim routine of Robinson’s life. The way in which Robinson and Cassidy find a way to connect through a shared loathing of 90’s music, and Robinson’s first day behind the deli counter are unforgettable and alone worth the price of admission.

What grinds The Wrestler up are the demands of a three-act plot structure and the unimaginative and rote way in which those demands are satisfied. What was subtle goes melodrama. What was real becomes contrived. And instead of a film that had a life force of its own, you feel the gears turn as characters betray everything we know about them in order to create necessary crisis points.

But other than Rourke’s moments, including an affecting confession and apology, there is no point where the father/daughter subplot is either subtle or real. Every imaginable cliche involving an embittered, angry daughter hurt by her loser father gets a hearing. And rather than try to rise above her tired scenes, Evan Rachel Wood seems dedicated to making obvious performance choices.

Which brings me to how the film ends. Without giving anything away, let’s just say that Aronofsky and screenwriter, Robert D. Siegel, take the road most travelled. The choice itself is bad enough but to have a character make a long speech to explain it is insult on top of injury. A hundred minutes spent laying down themes and developing a complicated and compelling character we very much sympathize with, and rather than take the time to craft the compelling and complicated fate he deserved, we get … this.

Every hopeful, painful moment of Requiem For A Heavyweight comes down to the exquisite, tragic site of Louis “Mountain” Rivera (Anthony Quinn) humiliated as a stunt performer whooping around the ring wearing Indian feathers. Juxtapose that with Robert Ryan’s Stoker, who takes a crippling beating but walks away with his chin up, the past behind him and the girl he loves on his arm.

Tragic, bittersweet, inspirational…

How the film ends isn’t up to me. But to strip away the heavy emotional investment made into this character and have me walk out not giving a damn about him isn’t about which fate’s the filmmaker chose, it’s about the execution of that fate.

The Ram deserved better.

Posted Jan 15th 2009 at 7:55 am

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »

7.5/10

The biggest (onyl?) flaw of the movie was actually this speech. Useless, cliché and insulting for the audience. But that doesn't waste the whole ending, which was really the most moving scene i saw in theatre this year.
Althought the journalist makes some valid points about the 3 acts structure, i'd rather see it as part of the lack of creativity that is in the whole movie.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:51:34 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »

I really liked this (9/10 shall we say?) but the fucking ending! What the fuck?! Even the speech didn't bother me as much as the last image. I'm just about fed up with these "ambiguous" endings. Minutes ahead I knew (or better put: feared) the ending and it's not funny. Five more minutes to wrap up everything isn't all that much asked in my opinion. The Oscar goes without a doubt to Rourke.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »

I personally felt it was pretty obvious he died, and not necessary to show just exactly what happened.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM