Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:33:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wild Wild West (1999)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Wild West (1999)  (Read 14306 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:29 PM »

Finished watching this for the first time in its entirety (there wasn't anything else on I swear!  Embarrassed )
Not nearly as bad as the masses claimed it to be.
I thought the first 40 minutes were very enjoyable.
An early party scene is one of the highlights of the film.

Two major things have changed since the series ended.
The main protagonist has gone through a race switch and his arch nemesis (Loveless) is no longer a midget.
Smith was obviously mis-cast. His type of humor doesn't fit this kind of movie.
And changing James West's race only added insult to injury.
The guy who plays Gordon is suitable.
Salma Hayek, as usual, is very pleasing to the eye but she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

There are some very embarassing moments (a confederate who knows kung-fu and Smith in drag) but overall it was  enjoyable summer blockbuster trash.

5/10

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:03:32 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:11 AM »

This was one of the absolute worst pieces of cinematic shit ever to be excreted from Hollywood's Hershey Highway. I wanted to walk out of this garbage but I was with a group of people that likewise hated this horrible mess of a movie. If there was a scale for mind numbingly atrocious, over-budgeted misfires, this soulless mess of a movie version of one of the best television programs ever would be at the top of the shit heap.

At no one time does this photographic equivalent to passing kidney stones come even remotely close to capturing the spirit, nor fun of its 'James Bond in the Old West' source material. Ever since this 'bowel movement in pictures' hit the screen, I've had a complete dislike for Will Smith. He couldn't praise the movie enough before it came out, then when it failed, he made excuses.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:48:04 AM »

At no one time does this photographic equivalent to passing kidney stones come even remotely close to capturing the spirit, nor fun of its 'James Bond in the Old West' source material.

I never expected it to.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »

I never expected it to.

Last I remember you've not seen any of the original shows so there would be nothing for you to compare it to. Robert Conrad's acceptance speech for this movies Razzie Award was poetic justice as he was vehemently against the film especially after the casting of Smith as James West.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »

Last I remember you've not seen any of the original shows so there would be nothing for you to compare it to.

I've caught up with enough episodes on youtube to know the series was miles above this.

My fav episode so far is one in which Jim is given an LSD type of drug by Loveless.
The only episodes I've seen are from the first season although I did see one episode in color many years ago on television (If I recall correctly, an episode in which a villain wants to create a giant tidal wave to destroy something or other).

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:43 AM »

I've caught up with enough episodes on youtube to know the series was miles above this.

My fav episode so far is one in which Jim is given an LSD type of drug by Loveless.
The only episodes I've seen are from the first season although I did see one episode in color many years ago on television (If I recall correctly, an episode in which a villain wants to create a giant tidal wave to destroy something or other).

That sounds like season 2's Night of the Deadly Bubble. The villain wants to create a city beneath the sea and destroy mankind above the for polluting the oceans. Similar to the later Bond movie, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. The first season is darker than the others, the second season is all sci fi/fantasy/horror related, the third season is more serious, American western tone with limited to no fantasy elements and the fourth season returns to the fantasy but the violence was toned down on most of the episodes. Fights became more acrobatic and West was often seen without his gun.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:12 AM »

I cringe at the rumors of a movie version of "Have Gun Will Travel".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »

I cringe at the rumors of a movie version of "Have Gun Will Travel".

They kinda did that already...

it was called Johnny Oro Cheesy

Corbucci's classic is probably closer to the feel of the show than any Hollywood adaption will be that's for sure.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »

They kinda did that already...

it was called Johnny Oro Cheesy

Corbucci's classic is probably closer to the feel of the show than any Hollywood adaption will be that's for sure.

What?!?! That movie was nothing like the show save for the look of Damon's character which is the only connection  I see to it. Cheesy And I don't mean that in a derogatory way as I think the movie is pretty damn good escapist entertainment. Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »

What?!?! That movie was nothing like the show save for the look of Damon's character which is the only connection 

Yeah but Hollywood won't even get the look of Palladin right. They'll get an asian actor to portray him.
Mark my words Cheesy

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »

Yeah but Hollywood won't even get the look of Palladin right. They'll get an asian actor to portray him.
Mark my words Cheesy

The only way they'll get an Asian is if there's an American to pair him with. Chris Tucker or Owen Wilson I would imagine would be the likeliest candidates. Cheesy

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »

Atrocious.

1.8/10

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:46:27 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »

A man on a wheelchair travelling on a train. Hmmm, that rings a bell...And a scene where Kline ask a girl about to shoot him with a gun to "aim for the heart".
Anyway, I don't know what you people expect from a Hollywood crap movie. I think that those who do not like this movies is because they expect too much from Hollywood. I just expect to be reasonably entertained and this movie does it. Of course, it could have been much better. First, I don't like Will Smith, but the decison to have a black man play West part could have been intelligent if they had played the race note more. Instead they let the West character (with a couple of exceptions and quite selfconsciously) behave like we were already hundred and thirty years after. This polical correctedness stinks. But the action scenes are good and so the CGE's; Selma Hayek can't play but who cares? I like her a hundred times more on a screen than Nicole Kidman. Kline is good, while Branagh is mediocre. 6\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »

Even blockbusters have standards.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »

Anyway, I don't know what you people expect from a Hollywood crap movie. I think that those who do not like this movies is because they expect too much from Hollywood.

I expect good movies from Hollywood, and I sometimes get them. I also get sometimes "ok movies with some good moments and some terrible ones" (Mission: Impossible and the like). And sometimes I get crappy movies with nothing to save, like this one.
I'm pretty sur I didnt' like it not because I expect too much from Hollywood (since Hollywood can rock), but just because this one sucks.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM