Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 11:25:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Le Samourai (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Le Samourai (1967)  (Read 2760 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »

I didn't think too much of this upon my initial viewing except that it was well directed.
Just got through my second viewing and I now believe it is a near brilliant work.

9/10

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:19:22 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Whalestoe
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »

I didn't think too much of this upon my initial viewing except that it was well directed.
Just got through my second viewing and I now believe it is a near brilliant work.

9/10

I'm gonna buy this now. I've been contemplating it back and forth for awhile. Cool!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »

I'm gonna buy this now. I've been contemplating it back and forth for awhile. Cool!

It may take a few viewings before you can appreciate it.
Most great films are like that.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:00:18 AM »

9/10

Yes, it is and of course a 10/10.

All of Melville's gangster films are very good.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »

Except for Army of Shadows, all of my first viewings of Melville's films have been great experiences. The reason why AoS wasn't as enjoyable first off was because I had stylistic expectations similar to his gangster films and the way he introduced the characters was enough to throw me off. I was also kind of "Hmm?" about the plot, being that it's about the French Resistance and I expected something other than running around hiding and not doing much spying/resisting, but then when I saw it in the light of being about the establishment of the Resistance I enjoyed it a lot more.

What I've enjoyed about first time Melville experiences is his way of making one feel that "first Melville" experience everytime. When I watched Le Doulos and Le Deuxieme Souffle recently I felt like I was discovering a director I wasn't familiar with because he's so full of surprises Afro I loved how Le Doulos was unpredictable down to the very last seconds.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:01:59 PM by Poggle » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »

I was also kind of "Hmm?" about the plot, being that it's about the French Resistance and I expected something other than running around hiding and not doing much spying/resisting

I saw it years ago, but i seem to remember it's the whole point of the movie. A realistic movie about the French Resistance. The way they were only human beeing like you and me, and had to make some dirty jobs sometimes. I loved it and i've always tried to see it again but failed Smiley

The Samouraï is very good too, but not  near as good as AoS in my opinion: much more "déjà vu". Still 8/10 i guess...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »

I was also kind of "Hmm?" about the plot, being that it's about the French Resistance and I expected something other than running around hiding and not doing much spying/resisting
From what I understand, that's pretty much all they ever got up to. They're impact on the occupying forces was negligible.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »

On blu in November from CC: https://www.criterion.com/films/184-le-samourai/?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »

It's. About. Damn. Time.

I wonder what took so long?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:46 PM »

I finally gave up waiting for BRD and bought DVD a few months ago  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Spikeopath
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:30:00 AM »

A superlative piece of work, deserves a bigger thread  Cool

Magnifique.

Le Samouraï, one of the most highly praised French films of the 1960s, and justifiably so. Having only just caught it for the first time, I'm not sure what more I can say about a film that has been discussed, dissected, praised and pored over for nearly five decades now.

Plot is simplicity, hit-man Jef Costello (Alain Delon) enacts a hit but he is witnessed fleeing the scene and spends the rest of the film trying to make sure his alibi holds up. His employers want him erased so as to avoid detection themselves, the head detective on the case knows Jef did it but can't quite close the noose around his neck, and Jef is mysteriously drawn to a sultry piano player who happens to be the chief witness against him!

Sparse of dialogue, this is a masterstroke decision by director Jean-Pierre Melville, because what chat there is makes us hang on every word being spoken. It also re-enforces the loneliness essence of the hit-man's life. Jef's apartment is so bland and devoid of personality, the only thing of beauty there is a bird in a cage, the metaphor of such is hard to ignore. Jef himself is beautiful, he also is perpetually in an emotionally frozen cage.

Attired in trench coat and fedora hat (or is it a trilby?), it's obvious that Delon and Melville are homaging with great respect the American film noir classic cycle. It's also quite amazing that although the film is technically filmed in colour, it still feels like one of those black and white noirs of the 40s and 50s. There's a coldness to Henri Decaë's (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud/Elevator to the Gallows) photography that so befits the story, the interiors are stripped of life, the exteriors almost always gloomy. And with the brilliant Delon as cool as an Eskimo's wedding tackle, icy veneers are all the rage here.

Hugely influential, Le Samouraï deserves every plaudit that has come its way. Best thing about it is that it actually gets better on a repeat viewing, because the surreal edge disappears the next time and in its place is an awareness of what the director is doing, and with that comes an appreciation of great film noir film making. Hell! Even the finale is pure noir of heart. 9/10

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:33:11 AM by Spikeopath » Logged
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 05:12:49 AM »

This will be a mandatory buy (altho hopefully they have also secured the UK rights for a region B release, it would definitely help my wallet, heh). The French blu-ray has only French subtitles (and supposedly less-than-stellar picture quality) Sad

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_79/le_samourai_blu-ray.htm

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:52 PM »

Watched it again today, hadn't seen it in years, agree 9/10

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:07:57 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »

The screencaps look like Criterion darkened theBRD  image. I don’t know how it will look on my 42” TV, but based on viewing these screencap comparisons on my iPhone, I don’t see a reason to get the Blu-ray. The bonus features are all the same from the DVD except one new 23-minute documentary about the collaboration between Melville and Delon.

The price isn’t bad - the Amazon.com pre-order is currently $25.99. Of course Beaver says the BRD is an upgrade - he always does. I’m not sure if I should double-dip on this one ........

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM