Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 13, 2024, 03:25:17 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Le Samourai (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Le Samourai (1967)  ( 11970 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« #15 : September 05, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »

I might have a favorite new director. I mean Jean- Pierre Melville is brilliant.  I can see almost the entire Hollywood one man thriller being invented with this one film, Le Samourai.  Alain Delon plays Jef Costello, a lone hit man. The beautiful Cathy Rosier plays pianist Valerie.  This is a stylized COOL film.  I can see where Michael Mann most likely got his entire way of making these films from Le Samourai.  Henri Decae again does the cinematography for Melville. Francois de Roubaix does the excellent scoring for the film.   I'm getting lazy.  Most of you have seen the film....  another 10 out of 10....

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #16 : June 03, 2020, 06:04:57 PM »

Rewatched it after more than 30 years. Visually it reminded me of Kubrick, nothing short of perfect. But plotwise? I still don't get the finale: why somebody wants the piano player dead? And why Costello does what he does? And then: what kind of a life is the hitman leading? A rathole for a home (he doesn't keep the city clean so he probably likes to live there). Or  probably he doesn't regularly get paid for his work.   And how does he get hip to the hidden bug? 8/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17 : June 03, 2020, 07:50:35 PM »

And how does he get hip to the hidden bug? 8/10

Because he saw that the bird had been thrashing around, and knew he'd had visitors.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #18 : June 04, 2020, 02:25:18 AM »

Because he saw that the bird had been thrashing around, and knew he'd had visitors.

How comes that doesn't work with the next visitor?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19 : June 04, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »

How comes that doesn't work with the next visitor?

Those buggers were there for quite a while

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #20 : June 04, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »

Those buggers were there for quite a while

No. There's only one bugger. But the story is 1) Kamikaze comes back home wounded and the bird starts chirping only after he is inside  2) the cops start working on the door to enter and place the bug and the bird starts chirping as soon as the first of the various keys are tried in the lock 3) Kamikaze comes back home and the bird starts chirping as he inserts the key. A rather irregular behaviour.  The problem with the Kamikaze the third time is that, if the chirping is a sign somebody has entered his rathole, he should check first  if that somebody is still in (as is the case) if he has got a gun or, if he hasn't got, close the door and run for life. Instead what he does? He goes to the kinda of locker to do I don't know what (get a hidden gun? Search for anothe bug?) so to put his head in the line of fire of the intruder.     

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #21 : June 07, 2020, 03:40:21 PM »

Sort of ' remade' s THE DRIVER by Walter Hill..

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #22 : March 13, 2024, 04:50:57 PM »

Restoration trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFV07ah4fY

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
moorman
Gunslinger

« #23 : March 20, 2024, 10:56:45 AM »

Restoration trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFV07ah4fY

Thanks for making me aware of this restoration.  One of the greatest and most influential films ever.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #24 : March 21, 2024, 07:24:35 PM »

One of the greatest and most influential films ever.

Agreed

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines