Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 08:56:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Last House On The Left (1972)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last House On The Left (1972)  (Read 2768 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »

The happy-go-lucky soundtrack really ends up ruining a lot of tension filled scenes*.
It nearly kills the powerful ending when it is a accompanied by a curtain call end credits.
No horror movie should ever have a curtain call ending. That only works for comedies and not much else.

But despite the soundtrack it really does grip you. The violence wasn't as bothersome as many critics would have you believe (perhaps it was overhyped) but it is still a nasty movie.
What it succeeds in most is the characters. You like the protagonists and loath the bad guys.
That is something that is missing in horror today. You feel for these people and want them to come out alright and are torn when they don't.

Despite its flaws it is still a classic.

8/10

*Craven regrets the soundtrack and overly comedic moments to.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:08:41 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »

"Curtain call ending"? what does it mean?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »

"Curtain call ending"? what does it mean?

Example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsMb0A9pIs

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »

Oh ok... thank you! Good word to know.

No horror movie should ever have a curtain call ending. That only works for comedies and not much else.

Fully agreed Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »

Pretty sick movie. Including the soundtrack Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:28 PM »

The happy-go-lucky soundtrack really ends up ruining a lot of tension filled scenes*.
It nearly kills the powerful ending when it is a accompanied by a curtain call end credits.

But despite the soundtrack it really does grip you. The violence wasn't as bothersome as many critics would have you believe (perhaps it was overhyped) but it is still a nasty movie.
What it succeeds in most is the characters. You like the protagonists and loath the bad guys.
That is something that is missing in horror today. You feel for these people and want them to come out alright and are torn when they don't.

Despite its flaws it is still a classic.

8/10

*Craven regrets the soundtrack and overly comedic moments to.

There's been various versions of this film released on VHS tape over the years. I've seen some missing the comedy bits and others with them in it. I have no problem with the names after the credits. This was fairly commonplace in movies of the 1970's (a lot of low budget movies did it) and some directors still do it today.

Originally, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT was far more violent and gory than what survives today. There is NO print in existence that contains all the violence and depravity that was originally shot by Craven and Co. (pun intended; if you know the various aka's, you'll get it Cheesy). When the film was being shown to theaters, the projectionists were cutting the film personally. The MGM disc (including the recent re-release) is the longest available print till somebody lucks up and discovers the lost scenes.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:07:04 AM »

Watched it for the first time (the 84 minutes version) and here's my verdict: 100% crap. You can't tell what's worse: the soundtrack or the movie itself. Campy homemade 'film making' at its worse. Horrible acting. Inept and exaggerated in every stitch. Yet another ''cult classic'' that bites the dust.

But I presume this sort of cheap 'n' violent hippie-leaning pseudo-psychological/pseudo-sociological abhorrence was the ''hot stuff'' of the 70s.

1.25/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »

Furthermore: I'm having trouble figuring out why is it called The Last House On The Left? Huh

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM