Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:03:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Cowboy and The Lady (1938)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cowboy and The Lady (1938)  (Read 168 times)
Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

When i first decided to watch this,  part of the reason was Gary Cooper, one of my favorite actors.  I expected it to be a straight forward American Western. I was wrong, very wrong, in a GOOD WAY.  I loved this movie.  First, i don't particularly like Western Comedies. I don't particularly like Romance movies ( I panned My Darling Clementine for its inclusion) but this was something special.  Maybe because it was sort of a Film Noir, meets Western, meets Comedy.  Maybe it was just a good story. Maybe it was everything i just said.  Whatever it was, i was hugely surprised at this movie.  

1. Cinematography.  It was ok. I love black and white movies, so that was huge with me.  The set pieces were fabulous.  The West Palm Beach scenes. The ship scenes.  The ranch.  Everything was on point and pretty good.

2. The Script.  The strong piece of this movie.  The script was fabulous. Romance, Comedy and a huge moral story. Not gonna spoil it for anybody who hasn't seen it.

3. The Acting.  Gary Cooper, Merle Oberon, Patsy Kelly, Mabel Todd,  Walter Brennan, Fuzzy Knight, Walter Walker, Henry Kolker, Harry Davenport and Emma Dunn were all fantastic.  This movie was tailor made for Gary Cooper, who we know started out as a rodeo cowboy.

4. Musical Score. Pretty good.  The score fit the mood of the movie thru out.  The music was typical of the movies from that time period.

Overall. I really, really loved this movie. Its not a straight forward Western, but that was ok.  Everything worked here.  Whats funny is, even though its not a straight forward Western or Film Noir, i was having a hard time deciding which of those movie genres i wanted to watch this weekend.  Lo and behold, this was a combination of both...lol  This is a must have for your DVD collection...   I rate it a 8 out of 10...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:16:48 PM by Moorman » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:10 AM »

I caught this once on TCM, don't remember it all that well though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:49:25 AM »

I caught this once on TCM, don't remember it all that well though.

Its worth going back and taking another look...Great movie...

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:50:41 AM by Moorman » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM