Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 10:54:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Alamo (2004)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alamo (2004)  (Read 4000 times)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »

Watched The Alamo last night in honor of the actual fall of the Alamo in 1836 and thought I'd post about it.  Not sure if I'll get much of a response, if any, because the movie bombed at the box office although I read it did much better on DVD.  This is basically the polar opposite of John Wayne's The Alamo.  The 2004 version is much more of a character study of the main characters, Crockett, Bowie, Travis and Houston, and tells a very accurate depiction of the days leading up to the siege and then the final battle.

The casting was perfect, especially Billy Bob Thornton as David Crockett, not the character of myth but a man trapped by his own legend.  SPOILER  Wink His death scene is my favorite scene in the movie.  Jason Patric as Bowie, Patrick Wilson as Travis, and Dennis Quaid as Houston are all very good as well.  It's too bad the movie got cut so bad by Disney, almost 45 minutes, because so much backstory was lost including Houston's life with the Cherokees and Bonham's ride for help.  But still, one of my favorites, especially the final assault on March 6th.

Has anyone else seen it since we've got some history buffs around?  Any opinions? Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

Yea I saw it but I'd really have to see it again to comment, its been a while and I don't quite remember that much about it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »

I've sadly not seen this yet. I've avoided it for to long. I've been meaning to see it at some point.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »

I was one of the few that saw it in it's theatrical run.

I didn't want to see a pg-13 rated version of the event but my father dragged me to the theatre (gave me the ole' guilt trip about "not having father and son time anymore") and I was glad he did...

Perhaps it was a bit overlong but I remember liking it very much. Thornton's Davy Crockett was great and they did a good job in playing down the myth.

Overall I enjoyed it better then Wayne's effort (which despite a cool finale, is a slow and plodding bore).
Worth a rental.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:13:45 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »

meh...

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »

meh...

meh what rrpower? Did you see it or do you not wish to?

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »

I'm sure I saw this back when it came out but I dont remember a thing. think it was an ok film.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »

I had planned to watch it back to back with Wayne's, instead I saw it some months before that one. I think it is good, with a scenes that really moved me when Thornton plays the fiddle to the Deguejo. Him and Quaid  were very good. Still I think that the whole first part is too slow and all the dialogues don't manage to explain what the conflict was about (or, at least, the reason given escaped me. So in a sense it is better Wayne's tactics, where reasons are very vague). This I want to rewatch. 8\10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM