Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 03:57:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Alfred Hitchcock Discussion Thread
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alfred Hitchcock Discussion Thread  (Read 87304 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: October 10, 2016, 03:51:16 AM »

I don't want to just spot errors, I want to praise good work when I see it. I appreciated this observation in the entry for NxNW:This is good but doesn't go far enough. Once the adventure is over--once Kaplan has gone back to being Thornhill--his life remains forever changed. He has Eve, and she will be the making of him. The adventure, which he did not seek, which instead reached out to him and pulled him in, was ultimately his salvation.

I agree.

The entry for Alfred Hitchcock Presents leaves the impression that AH wrote all the intros himself. He certainly did not; they were all scripted for him by James B. Allardice. This seems like an odd oversight for an Encyclopedia. Neither is there an entry for Allardice.

I'd say that the screenwriting dispute over Vertigo is the kind of imprecision that is bound to be found in such a book but that one is a major mistake for an AH Encyclopedia.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »

TCM just showed a bunch of Hitch films. Having never seen any of his films after Marnie, I was happy to have the opportunity to finally see Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy.

1. Torn Curtain is decent; I give it a 7/10

-- When Newman gives the press conference announcing that he has defected to East Germany, he looks miserable and nervous and unhappy. IMO this is a terrible acting choice. He should have played the character as if he were thrilled to be defecting, to try to convince the East Germans (if not the viewers. He spends the press conference looking as if he is constipated.

-- I like that the characters in the movie speak whatever languages they'd be speaking in real life - where it makes sense that they speak English (e.g., when speaking to Newman), they speak English. Where it makes sense that they speak German, they speak German. (Not having subtitles is also good it puts us in Newman's point of view, as he can't understand what they are saying. Anyway, I understand a bit of German, so it's a little easier for me.)

-- Gromek's death scene is the most famous of the movie, a great scene. I enjoyed seeing the German get the gas chamber (though I'm not certain if it was intended that way).

-- Many movies have one character whose job is to be nothing but a pain in the ass. The blonde woman on the phony "Leipzig-Berlin" bus plays that role, constantly whining and whining, the pain in the ass role.

2. Topaz is a crappy movie; I give it a 6/10

-- In this movie, everyone speaks English. It's better when people speak the languages their character would be speaking in real life, but I don't have a problem with people speaking English - many, many great movies have people speaking English throughout despite taking place in a foreign country. No problem with that. The problem is that the accents in this movie are absolutely awful. I don't think there is one legitimate Cuban accent!

-- when the plane lands on the tarmac early in the movie, you can tell that the film is sped up; the people are walking waaaaay too quickly. It's comically bad.

-- "Can I offer you a cigarette? Oh no, you are smoking." That's not nearly as funny as the classic line between Kirk Douglas and Robert Mitchum in Out of the PastWink

-- the blood is all way too bright red, terribly fake

-- what's never explained is why the authorities at the Cuban airport never found the film in the razor blades. Wasn't he hiding teh film in the razor blades - and the Cuban authorities knew it - but they didn't find it? Was the film at the last second switched from the razor blades to the book?

anyway, this movie is crappy.

3. Frenzy - this movie is really good, can sit proudly in the Hitchcock ouevre. 8/10

Frenzy is all of Hitchcock's macabre fantasies, fully unleashed without the Production Code  Grin To quote from Roger Ebert's review
"Frenzy is a return to old forms by the master of suspense ... The only 1970s details are the violence and the nudity (both approached with a certain grisly abandon that has us imagining "Psycho" without the shower curtain)." http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/frenzy-1972

The only thing I'd criticize very mildly is that the ending lacks a major BOOM piece of evidence. Blaney is convicted presumably all trial long he said he was innocent as Rusk was guilty, but Inspector Oxford doesn't believe him. Now, only after he is taken to prison and keeps swearing he is innocent, Oxford (goaded by his wife) finally decides to believe him not that the evidence against Blaney has diminished, but merely because he finds out that Rusk likes sadomasichim and was at the rest stop on the night of Babs's death ... so convinced that he's ready to ask the governor for a pardon ... even after finding the escaped Blaney with another body! What I'd like is for there to have been one piece of breakthrough evidence, more than the mere fact that Rusk is not wearing a tie (hey, he's not wearing a jacket, either!) And here it is: When Rusk is trying to pry his pin from Babs's dead hand, he tries using his pocketknife, which cracks. Rusk forgets about the piece, and puts the pocketknife back into his pocket. I was WAITING for the cops to recover that piece of metal, and then find the matching pocketknife in Rusk's pocket! But no, that's forgotten about  Wink Anyway, again, that's a mild criticism.

IMO, of all the movies Hitch made after Psycho, Frenzy is the best. I haven't seen Kaleidoscope or Family Plot, so I'm only counting The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: August 15, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »

-- Gromek's death scene is the most famous of the movie, a great scene. I enjoyed seeing the German get the gas chamber (though I'm not certain if it was intended that way).

Grin Grin Grin

By far my favorite scene of the movie, and the definitive evidence old Hitch still had it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »

IMO, of all the movies Hitch made after Psycho, Frenzy is the best. I haven't seen Kaleidoscope or Family Plot, so I'm only counting The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy.

No Kaleidoscope in Hitch's oeuvre.

After The Birds, which is one of his best, I also think that Frenzy is the finest of his late films.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

No Kaleidoscope in Hitch's oeuvre.

After The Birds, which is one of his best, I also think that Frenzy is the finest of his late films.

When looking at Hitch's ouevre of directed films on IMDB, I see Kaleidescope on there. I have no idea what it is http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/filmotype/director?ref_=m_nmfm_2

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2017, 01:30:46 AM »

When looking at Hitch's ouevre of directed films on IMDB, I see Kaleidescope on there. I have no idea what it is http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/filmotype/director?ref_=m_nmfm_2

It is one of the projects that his name was attached to that never made it into production. I imagine the reason it's listed on IMDb is because he did shoot a few reels of (silent) test footage. See also https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/Kaleidoscope

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 16, 2017, 02:22:59 AM »

It is one of the projects that his name was attached to that never made it into production. I imagine the reason it's listed on IMDb is because he did shoot a few reels of (silent) test footage. See also https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/Kaleidoscope

Thanks for that. I had no idea what KALEIDESCOPE was, but I figured it was not a normal feature: It has an IMDB page, but it doesn't have any ratings.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2017, 05:27:29 AM »

These photos of Kaleidoscope look in matters of nudity very daring for a Hollywood film made in 67/68. And go far beyond what Hitch did in Frenzy.

Spikeopath
« Reply #503 on: August 16, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »

My favourite director of all time.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »

I am. This is just the kind of gag the Master liked to put over. (cf: Tippi Hedren in the phone booth (cage) whilst outside the Birds circulate.)
-- Many movies have one character whose job is to be nothing but a pain in the ass. The blonde woman on the phony "Leipzig-Berlin" bus plays that role, constantly whining and whining, the pain in the ass role.
This kind of character frequently appears in real life, too, especially on chat boards.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »

I acquired the movie Suspicion as part of a Hitchcock boxset that had other titles that i wanted.  I didn't know what to expect for that reason.  The cinematography was great. The acting was superb. Everything else was atrocious.  Everytime i got interested, the movie would pull back and go off in a direction that left you wanting. It would never fulfill any of the ideas it would present.  The ending of the movie was like the icing on the whole incomplete case.  It was bad. All build up and all you got was a little speech from Johnny and a quick turn around of the vehicle and the ending credits...   I rate this a 5 out of 10 and possibility the worst Hitchcock film i have watched thus far...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:04:53 AM by Moorman » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: November 28, 2017, 02:10:23 AM »

Definitely not the best Hitch, but the ending is really nice.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 29, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

I like the film more every year.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM