Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 11:41:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Silence (2016)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silence (2016)  (Read 7036 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »

Coming in either '10 or '11, Scorsese's new film is based around two Jesuit priests and their journey to Japan. Honestly, I didn't give a shit about it (the concept didn't intrigue me)...until I read who is in talks of starring in it.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/950/950013p1.html

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:08:53 PM by PowerRR » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »

DDL is allegedly going to star in every project that's coming down the pike, from this to 9 to the My Fair Lady remake. Why doesn't Marty cast him as Teddy Roosevelt too (he'd be better than DiCaprio at any rate)?

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »

I'm looking forward to this much more than Scorsese's upcoming movie, Shutter Island. But are you sure this is happening? I think the project is older than I am...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »

It's definitely happening. Scorsese has a ton of movies planned (Silence, George Harrison documentary, Sinatra biopic, I Heard You Paint Houses, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Bob Marley biopic, Boardwalk Empire miniseries) but the only one that we seem to keep getting updated on his Silence. Plans are already under way for filming to begin this year.

Oh and I think I read he'll be filming the pilot episode for Boardwalk Empire before Silence, but he'll be at work on Silence right after that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »

Coming in either '10 or '11, Scorsese's new film is based around two Jesuit priests and their journey to Japan. Honestly, I didn't give a shit about it (the concept didn't intrigue me)...until I read who is in talks of starring in it.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/950/950013p1.html
This is a remake.  Proof again that Scorsese is completely out of ideas.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »

He has a lot of ideas it would appear, but none that get beyond the planning stage. I would have been interested in some of these - particularly the Rise of Theodore Roosevelt project - if I had the slightest reason to believe that they're actually going to happen.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »

What is it a remake of Jenkins?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »

It's a remake of Silence (1971): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067755/
The source novel is exceedingly famous in Japan.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »

If it's based upon a source novel I'd hardly call it a remake, unlike The Departed. It's just a different adaptation at a novel.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »

Uh huh. And if someone did a new adaptation of Gone With the Wind no-one would term that a remake? As the late, unlamented Panache would say, What planet R U smokin'?

Whalestoe
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »

Uh huh. And if someone did a new adaptation of Gone With the Wind no-one would term that a remake? As the late, unlamented Panache would say, What planet R U smokin'?

Epic. Win. Jenkins.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:57:03 PM »

When the book is more famous than the movie, I'd consider it more of a different adaptation than a remake. In Gone with the Wind's case, the movie's popularity has exceeded the book - thus remaking Gone with the Wind would feel more like a remake.

As for something like East of Eden (a novel adapted several times but only once famously), I would consider a new version of it to be more of another adaptation than a remake. In it's case, the book is still more famous than the movie.

My logic may seem faulty, but to me, it makes perfect sense...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 10:33:47 PM »

When the book is more famous than the movie, I'd consider it more of a different adaptation than a remake. In Gone with the Wind's case, the movie's popularity has exceeded the book - thus remaking Gone with the Wind would feel more like a remake.

As for something like East of Eden (a novel adapted several times but only once famously), I would consider a new version of it to be more of another adaptation than a remake. In it's case, the book is still more famous than the movie.

My logic may seem faulty, but to me, it makes perfect sense...

Actually, everything depends on the new movie. They can make it as a remake or as a new adaptation. And they can mix.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »

Almost 8 years after this post:

- 16 year old PowerRR sounds like a fucking idiot
- the trailer for silence looks fucking fantastic: http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/silence-trailer-martin-scorseses-adam-driver-liam-neeson-andrew-garfield-1201742986/

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 04:22:08 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrgxZLd_gE

Almost 8 years after this post:

- 16 year old PowerRR sounds like a fucking idiot

Yes

No

My worst fears are being confirmed:

- it's gonna be cheesy
- it's gonna be boring
- the whole cast is Marty's worst ever (I had completely forgotten than DDL was supposed to be in it as some point... but YAY! We got much better: ANDREW "EDUARDO" GARFIELD!!!!)

Scorsese always fails when:

- he tackles religion too directly: Mean Streets = win / the last temptation = fail
- he goes for a slower, less nervous editing: his art direction ALWAYS leans toward cheesy... when seen through fast editing, it's edgy and cool, when the pace slows down, it becomes just plain cheesy
- he goes too far back in time: once again, cheesy art direction is cool for Vegas or NYC in the 70's, it doesn't works with anything pre-WWII.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:25:45 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM