Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 11:45:27 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Silence (2016)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5
: Silence (2016)  ( 10031 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #30 : December 27, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

then they should have cast him in BLUE VELVET

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #31 : December 27, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »

You think it is ok to beat Isabella Rossellini?  >:(
I've been in the room, on separate occasions, with both Ms. Rossellini and Mr. Scorsese. In my estimation, Isabella should be able to take Marty any day.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #32 : December 28, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »

It seems like this board as a whole actually wants Silence to be bad.

The Wolf of Wall Street is probably my favorite movie of the 10s, but as great as Scorsese is, he's one of the most low key inconsistent directors ever. His period piece stuff has never clicked with me, even The Last Temptation. 

Sure, we hate guys with beards who beat Isabella Rossellini ...

(it would be ok without the beard though)

proof?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #33 : December 28, 2016, 03:02:18 AM »

proof?

I don't remember it exactly, but there must be information on the net. I think Rossellini divorced him for cruelty in the marriage, and it was written in the papers than that he had beaten her. Stuff like that.

(I hope I don't mix up things and it was our man David Lynch who was the actual culprit)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #34 : January 11, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »

http://nypost.com/2017/01/10/martin-scorseses-silence-is-in-big-trouble-before-it-even-opens/

Wow, not only no money, but not even awards. Oops.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #35 : January 11, 2017, 07:39:03 AM »

I'll be seeing this tomorrow night. My rating will be the final of judge whether or not the Leone board will collectively like this or hate this (as they hope to). Power RR 8 = DJ 4. RR 4 = DJ 8

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #36 : January 11, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »

http://nypost.com/2017/01/10/martin-scorseses-silence-is-in-big-trouble-before-it-even-opens/

Wow, not only no money, but not even awards. Oops.

Camilla Long of London’s Sunday Times wrote, “What is this film actually about? If there is an actor who can persuade me that stamping on an image of Christ is a moment of thrilling drama, it is not Garfield... 

;D ;D

I'll be seeing this tomorrow night. My rating will be the final of judge whether or not the Leone board will collectively like this or hate this (as they hope to). Power RR 8 = DJ 4. RR 4 = DJ 8

Let me know. No need to fanboy your rating, I'll see it in theater no matter what: I own the DVD of the Last Temptation and I've payed for Hugo in 3D, after all.

« : January 11, 2017, 07:48:33 AM noodles_leone »

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #37 : January 11, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »

This will be a lesson for Scorsese not to cast one of his films with Di Caprio. What a dumb, dumb mistake!
With Leo he doubtless would get his next Oscar nomination. Without Leo he would still wait for his first statuette.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #38 : January 11, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »

This will be a lesson for Scorsese not to cast one of his films with Di Caprio. What a dumb, dumb mistake!
With Leo he doubtless would get his next Oscar nomination. Without Leo he would still wait for his first statuette.
but Hugo, for some dumb reason, got tons of awards praise. Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street were pretty much ignored. I assume that many people just may have trouble connecting with Silence

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #39 : January 12, 2017, 11:37:24 PM »

I saw the movie. It was awful. Two hours and forty one minutes of Japs trying to force Christians to step on the face of Jesus or be tortured. Blah blah blah. Miserable

On a much happier note: Earlier in the evening, DJ and I saw Beethoven's Emperor Concerto performed at Lincoln Center by the New York Philharmonic; directed by Alan Gilbert and with Stephen Hough on piano. Ten rows from the stage, just to the right of center. A wonderful evening.

Then, I foolishly went to the theater to see SILENCE, while DJ wisely went home.

Yeah, the Emperor Concerto was great  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #40 : January 13, 2017, 01:53:26 AM »

Jew.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #41 : January 13, 2017, 02:12:33 AM »

Jew.
;D
Ya know something? I did actually laugh at the idea how we're supposed to feel bad for these Portuguese Catholics being tortured for their faith, while back in Portugal their own Inquisition was burning at the stake Jews and others who refused to embrace the Catholic faith. Not that it in any way minimizes the heinous acts of the Japanese in the movie. But no, I couldn't summon much empathy for the tortured priests. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Inquisition

That's regarding the "real-life" morality issue.

But it is a terrible movie. A terrible terrible movie. I never found religious devotion to be an interesting subject for a movie, but this one is the same shit over and over: The priests come to a village. The Christian villagers are thrilled. They cry with joy and now they can worship and confess etc.  The Inquisition comes and forces them to step on the image of Christ. Again and again, endless scenes of torture and sneering Inquisitor and the "will he step or won't he step?" Again and again and again.

Andrew Garfield is a good actor but IMO totally wrong for this role - and his accent is terrible. But I don't want to pick at any one point, because nothing could have saved this movie. The cast could have been the ten greatest actors in movie history and the  movie would still be shit. Nothing happens, nothing changes. The first two hours are basically the same thing over and over again. The last half hour, the story does change somewhat - nothing too major, nothing unpredictable, but at least it breaks the pattern of the same nonsense for two hours. But this movie is crap. It seems like a personal project for Scorsese, but that does not make it enjoyable for me.

If you have to give a chance to any Scorsese movie, go ahead and give this one a chance. That's why I saw it - a Scorsese movie has to be given a viewing; maybe I'll enjoy it, right? If you can enjoy this, I envy you. Me, I was waiting for this to end. Even worse than you are waiting for this post to end.

But yeah, the Emperor Concerto is a joy  :) :) :)

« : January 13, 2017, 02:58:16 AM drinkanddestroy »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #42 : January 13, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »

;D ;D ;D

I think I'll feel exactly the same. But you know, sometimes you just have to go see War Horse, no matter what. It's a matter of faith.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #43 : January 13, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »

;D ;D ;D

I think I'll feel exactly the same. But you know, sometimes you just have to go see War Horse, no matter what. It's a matter of faith.
yup. And The BFG ( which is even worse than war horse... but it's fuckin Spielberg)

My expectations for Silence are getting low at this point, many reviews I've skimmed (haven't read a full one yet including drinks) hint that I probably won't like it. A lot of this has to do with Garfield and religion. Regardless I'm seeing it tonight, because the more local theater took it off their schedule last night, likely because nobody is seein it anywhere.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #44 : January 13, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Well, the problem with War Horse the movie is that SS used real horses. I saw the stage event, and the puppetry was amazing--the only thing in the production worth going for (although some of the singing was nice). SS should have gone with animation of some kind.

: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines