Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:51:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Silence (2016)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silence (2016)  (Read 6058 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:49 PM »

Really?

Who's That Knocking on My Door and especially Mean Streets should be more passionate than Taxi Driver.

My point is that I don't want to call "passion project" anything done before Scorsese was internationally famous. Read my beautifully written little dialogue: it does only work because of Marty's global fame.

Novecento: thanks for the review!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:22:01 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 07:01:22 AM »

I'm not as familiar with Scorsese's works as some here, but I'd also agree with PowerRR's comments from another thread...

There are glimpses of framing, cutting, and camerawork that agree with the rest of his filmography. But it feels much more mature and reliant on atmosphere than any other of his movies.

It is a vastly better entry in Scorsese's oeuvre than Kurosawa's "Dreams" is in his, but the reliance on visual atmosphere at the expense of other visual techniques (editing, camera movement, transitions etc) makes for an interesting comparison.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »

Actually Kurosawa's approach to "Ran" versus his earlier films would be a better comparison than "Dreams" and is of course a far better film. "Dreams" is an entirely different thing altogether...

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »

Here's what cinematographer Prieto said:

From the beginning, we talked about the restraints in terms of shooting. Marty is known for his elaborate cinematic language; designing complex shots comes naturally to him. He felt this story required a simpler language. This doesn’t mean that shooting wasn’t extremely technical and challenging—the shots are quieter visually. There were only certain instances where the camera is in a strange position or a sudden camera movement.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 02:04:27 AM »

So, I've seen it and am not sure about what happens in the next hour. Needless to say, the following discussion may include spoilers.

Is the whole film about a guy who spends months (years?) of his life and 2h40 of the audience's life watching people die just to discover that, after all:

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it."

?

If so my 5/10 rating will become a 4/10. I've already sit through Into The Wild and have no more patience for this shit.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »

Here's what cinematographer Prieto said:

I feel like Marty was trying to be "silent". There are still several elaborate shots where the camera moves all around the place.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2017, 04:35:16 AM »

So, I've seen it and am not sure about what happens in the next hour. Needless to say, the following discussion may include spoilers.

Is the whole film about a guy who spends months (years?) of his life and 2h40 of the audience's life watching people die just to discover that, after all:

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it."

?

If so my 5/10 rating will become a 4/10. I've already sit through Into The Wild and have no more patience for this shit.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Grin Grin

And you wasted at least as much of our time here arguing that it was a good movie ... until you actually bothered to see it. Then you discovered that we haters were right all along  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

This movie is shit shit shit shit shit

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2017, 05:37:48 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Grin Grin

And you wasted at least as much of our time here arguing that it was a good movie ... until you actually bothered to see it. Then you discovered that we haters were right all along  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

This movie is shit shit shit shit shit

Dude! Read every single of my post about that movie, I've spent the whole thread explaining how the movie was gonna suck long before your heard about it. The most positive thing I've wrote about the movie is my actual review after viewing.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 02:28:16 AM »

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/12/silence-cinematographer-rodrigo-prieto-interview

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44:15 AM »

I can maybe elaborate later, but I ended up enjoying Silence. It's not the sort of film that I can rate though. I understand why many people don't like it and I share some of their complaints but nevertheless the film spoke to me like few films do. And I'm not a religious person - I don't believe in any supernatural god. But the questions the film ponders on felt alive to me. And I don't think it's a message film. There are a number of themes, not just one.

I kept thinking about Bresson a lot, also Tarkovsky and Bergman. "Poor man's Bresson/Tarkovsky/Bergman" might some say, and they'd be kind of right, but it worked for me.

Funny thing is that although Scorsese and many critics have talked about the landscapes and the period sets and whatnot as something that immerses you to the 17th century Japan, I mostly watched the movie as almost a stage play. Something like Dogville or some Fassbinder films. It didn't feel "real" to me - but that only helped me to connect with with immaterial, abstract questions.

And just shortly to n_l: I don't think it's "you do it the streets, you do it at home". I think it's more like "you do it in your heart".

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2017, 01:16:19 AM »

It felt like a stage play to me too. Hence your Bresson/Bergman comparison.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM