Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blue Velvet (1986)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blue Velvet (1986)  (Read 6088 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »

pretty solid mystery movie with Dennis Hopper being the stand out performer who holds the movie together.
I can't imagine the role being very difficult to pull off (the two easiest performances for actors is to act crazy or angry and here Hopper does a combination of both) but he still manages to be very frightening which is what a villain should be.
As effective as Hopper's performance is I wish Lynch would have tightened the leash on him and made him do the version of the character he had in mind rather than what Dennis gave us.
Though Blue Velvet is the theme song, Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" is the unofficial theme to me as it seems to fit the overall creepy/dreamy feeling of the movie.

8/10

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:49:28 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Whalestoe
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:50:06 PM »

pretty solid mystery movie with Dennis Hopper being the stand out performer who holds the movie together.
I can't imagine the role being very difficult to pull off (the two easiest performances for actors is to act crazy or angry and here Hopper does a combination of both) but he still manages to be very frightening which is what a villain should be.
As effective as Hopper's performance is I wish Lynch would have tightened the leash on him and made him do the version of the character he had in mind rather than what Dennis gave us.
Though Blue Velvet is the theme song, Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" is the unofficial theme to me as it seems to fit the overall creepy/dreamy feeling of the movie.

8/10

Glad you finally got around to seeing it! Afro

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:23:48 PM »

Almost completely ruined by the happy little bird in the end. All in all, far from great, but watchable because of Dennis Hopper (possibly his greatest performance up to date) and the frightening Lynch's vision of the hollow American province and it's distorted residents.

6.5 - 7.1 (max.)

The strange thing is that I used to like this movie, a lot.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:30:24 PM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »

If you guys like BV, you'll probably dig Masumura's Blind Beast if you haven't seen it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »

the frightening Lynch's vision of the hollow American province and it's distorted residents.
These science fiction concepts do not resonate with me.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

Almost completely ruined by the happy little bird in the end.
I have a problem with the ending, too (otherwise I think this is a great movie). Can't really tell what to think of it. Of course I can't remember a happy little bird there 'cause I've seen it only once but I think you mean pretty much the same thing as me.

And Tuco, get an avatar! I can't talk to anybody with no face! Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »

the frightening Lynch's vision of the hollow American province and it's distorted residents.
I don't think Lynch is trying to depict the hollow and empty American suburb á la Sam Mendes, if that was what you meant. He seems to be actually very fond of that world. Sure the postcard images in the beginning and the end are corny and meant to be humorous but I don't see them as satire or as a negative comment. I think it is more a case of "the evil is everywhere under the surface".

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:30:53 PM »

Almost completely ruined by the happy little bird in the end.

Are you kiding? the "happy little bird" is great! it's eating a worm... it's not a regular happy little bird, it's ironlical, satirical, and somehow far more efficient than the cut ear in the grass... the ending definitly brings the movie to another league.
But I agree about the "all in all far from great" part of your comment Smiley

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »

These science fiction concepts do not resonate with me.

I was thinking more of something like ''The Hills Have Eyes'', so horror. The province = horror.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:32:14 PM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »

I don't think Lynch is trying to depict the hollow and empty American suburb á la Sam Mendes, if that was what you meant. He seems to be actually very fond of that world. Sure the postcard images in the beginning and the end are corny and meant to be humorous but I don't see them as satire or as a negative comment. I think it is more a case of "the evil is everywhere under the surface".

No, this is the province we're talking about, not suburbia. It's not the same thing.

I think Lynch really was boiling out the ''little house with the orchard where happy people live'' myth. Only he did it in a more disguised way. He was kinda mean.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »

Are you kiding? the "happy little bird" is great! it's eating a worm... it's not a regular happy little bird, it's ironlical, satirical, and somehow far more efficient than the cut ear in the grass... the ending definitly brings the movie to another league.

I forgot completely about the worm, but it still doesn't strike me, sorry. I think that was the time while Lynch was still believing there is something beautiful in the province (Missoula), so, there was the bird that ate the worm. Good beats evil, everything's great... although it's obviously rotten.

But I agree about the "all in all far from great" part of your comment Smiley

That's great, can I tell my friends? Cheesy Smiley

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:56:18 PM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

I forgot completely about the worm, but it still doesn't strike me, sorry. I think that was the time while Lynch was still believing there is something beautiful in the province (Missoula), so, there was the bird that ate the worm. Good beats evil, everything's great... although it's obviously rotten.

To me it's more: everything looks clean and cliché, but............. there is always something dirty hiding. I may be wrong but the fact that it is what is said in half of lynch's filmography makes me think i may be right...

That's great, can I tell my friends? Cheesy Smiley

No way. I cannot let you use my name just to show you're someone important.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:09 PM »

To me it's more: everything looks clean and cliché, but............. there is always something dirty hiding. I may be wrong but the fact that it is what is said in half of lynch's filmography makes me think i may be right...

I agree with you. That's exactly what I said - he has a problem with it, he doesn't like it. All shine no substance.

No way. I cannot let you use my name just to show you're someone important.

Mean bastard.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »

I agree with you. That's exactly what I said - he has a problem with it, he doesn't like it. All shine no substance.

Remember when you were young? you shone like the sun.

Mean bastard.

"basterd", please.

I guess that post in closer to SPAM than to a real post.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:56:39 PM »

Remember when you were young? you shone like the sun.

Uhm, not anymore... Cry

"basterd", please.

Thanks.

I guess that post in closer to SPAM than to a real post.

Aren't all? But anyhow, it's OK, we haven't done it in a long time.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM