Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 12:32:15 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Citizen Kane (1941)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Citizen Kane (1941)  ( 7362 )
Moorman

« #15 : November 21, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »

I'm gonna purchase this.  I've heard that it was great, and i've heard that its overrated. I will see...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #16 : November 22, 2017, 08:42:06 AM »

Try to watch it and make your own judgment. Hard to watch a classic and not have all the comments in mind. Always Keep an open mind and feel free to make your own judgment, on any movie.

Also, sometimes an old movie was groundbreaking in its day but today we take that sort of stuff for granted. Furthermore, there are many great effects in Citizen Kane that may not be apparent on first viewing.

My suggestion is, watch it once on your own, and then watch it a second time with Roger Ebertís great commentary.

Enjoy  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Moorman

« #17 : December 07, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »

Well, here goes. I've heard of this film for years.  Being a avid reader, i would always come across references to this film, ( when reading anything related to this art form).  I never was interested in seeing the film, because i never was interested in classic Hollywood movies until earlier this year. My love of classic westerns steered me in that direction.  I say all this to say that i didn't know what to expect from this movie.  When i got into classic Hollywood, film noirs, etc. i naturally got curious as to what Orson Wells is all about.

This is my 4th Welles pictures i have seen. I started with The Lady from Shanghai, followed by The Third Man, and then The Stranger.  Here is my take on it.  The film was only a shade under 2 hrs, but felt like it was 3 hours. I say this to say that the film, to me,  seemed to be constantly going nowhere as far as making a POINT about what it was all about.  Not until the final few scenes, did the movie, to me, come together.  The film ITSELF, came across as narcissistic, like the main character himself.  It seemed to be constantly patting itself on the back, but not making any point.  This is a film that definitely, if there is nuance to be found during the majority of the film, will take repeated viewings for the viewer to pick up on.  The final few scenes made up for a lot of what i felt was the movie not really doing anything.  Only then, do we see that the film is quick snapshots of a narcissist who ends up in a big huge house, with nothing else.

The cinematography was fantastic. I have no problems there.  The acting was superb all around. Orson Welles himself was fantastic thru out the whole movie. I have no problems there.  The direction was great.  Everything about the movie was superb to me, except the plot, the screenplay itself.  I think that for during its time, when the movie came out, that the screenplay came across as great for that time.  I came into this viewing thinking that the movie was gonna be overrated.  I STILL think its overrated, but it IS a great film.  I don't think its worthy of the greatest movie of all time moniker though. I don't even have it in my own top 20 or so films.  I am gonna rewatch this and try and pick up on some things that i know i missed on my initial viewing of the film.  

Cinematography - 2 points

Musical Score- 1.5 points

Acting- 2 points

Directing- 2 points

Plot- .5 points

Total- 8 out of 10

« : December 07, 2017, 06:20:42 PM Moorman »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18 : December 07, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »

I am gonna rewatch this and try and pick up on some things that i know i missed on my initial viewing of the film.  

Watch it with Roger Ebertís commentary

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19 : December 08, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »

Also give a look to Welles bizarre Journey Into Fear also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20 : December 08, 2017, 06:17:33 AM »

I'm also not a big fan of Citizen Kane.  We saw this in film class, and agree that much is really good technically, as an entertaining film it just falls real flat for me.

And if Kane was alone when he died, who heard him say "Rosebud" ???

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #21 : December 08, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »

This one needs a proper restoration/blu-ray, with all/as many as possible versions etc... Such a fun movie.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
Moorman

« #22 : December 08, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »

Watch it with Roger Ebertís commentary

Do i have to? lol.  I gotta force myself to watch it again as is..lol...

Moorman

« #23 : December 08, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

I saw a clip of this on  youtube after you recommended it. I will give it a look.  It has the mercury players, so it should be pretty good...

Moorman

« #24 : December 08, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »

I'm also not a big fan of Citizen Kane.  We saw this in film class, and agree that much is really good technically, as an entertaining film it just falls real flat for me.

And if Kane was alone when he died, who heard him say "Rosebud" ???

Who heard him say Rosebud?  Good point.  I looked into this, and the ONLY explanation HAS to be as follows:  When Kane tore up his wife's room right after she left him, he picked up the globe and said " Rosebud " for the first time.  After saying it, he looked up and Raymond, along with all his employees, were standing there staring at him.  Raymond was close enough to hear him say that.  Now, to make sense as that being the last thing Kane said, when Kane walked away from this Raymond and his employees, he HAD to have went to that room in the mansion and had the scene where he said " Rosebud " again and dropped the globe.  So, when Raymond was questioned about that being his last words by the reporter, it would make sense from THAT perspective. Remember, the reporter offered Raymond $1,000 if he could explain the meaning of Rosebud, and thats when the story was told of Kane tearing up the room...

BUT WAIT.  Was there time BETWEEN his wife leaving, and the globe scene? ( weeks, months, years ).  If there is, then what i said makes no sense.  I've read that the guy ( some call him the butler) was implied as being in the room with him because when he explained the about hearing Kane say Rosebud after he left his wife's room, the butler said that he said Rosebud " that one other time."  What other time was he talking about?

« : December 08, 2017, 11:44:24 AM Moorman »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #25 : December 08, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »

Do i have to? lol.  I gotta force myself to watch it again as is..lol...

If you want to understand the technical stuff behind the movie, Ebert explains it all very well. He gives a great commentary on this movie, and also on Casablanca

Moorman

« #26 : December 08, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »

If you want to understand the technical stuff behind the movie, Ebert explains it all very well. He gives a great commentary on this movie, and also on Casablanca

Ok. I will do that.  Its funny you mention Casablanca, because its another one that didn't make any sense.  Along with The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep.  I'm getting all of these movies because they are historic, not necessarily because i know whats going on, lol...

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines