Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:29:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Max' Elaborate Cunning Job (MECJ)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Max' Elaborate Cunning Job (MECJ)  (Read 12131 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 11:51:13 AM »

who exactly were the hoods at the beginning who killed Eve and were trying to find Noodles (the hoods included Mario Brega)?  They weren't hired by Max, nothing to gain there.  

My guess is that Max hired them as contract killers, - how else would they know that they should torture Fat Mo to find out where the key to the locker was hidden?  Even though Max knew where the key was, they had to rough up Moe to make it look like outsiders were doing this job - not Max.

What I always found confusing is why would they let Fat Moe live?  Max had Popeye and Patsy killed, and he was certainly a lot closer to them than Fat Moe.  They killed Eve, and I'm pretty sure if Noodles was in that room with her they would have killed him too.  They probably would've hunted him down in Buffalo if they knew he was there too.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 11:57:54 AM »

No, Max always knew where they key was (and he also knew there was no money left in there).  So it wasn't Max who was responsible for those hoods.  My guess is they were the other guys they had double-crossed, who figured that since Noodles was apparently the only one left alive, that he'd be the source to the gangs money, and to wipe out Noodles as well.  The plan was to only let Fat Moe live until they'd found Noodles, that's why the one hood was made to stay with Moe.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »

Well, it's certainly a point open to debate.

However, I think it's apparent that either:

a)  Max arranged the killings, or
b)  Joe Pesci arranged the killings, and Max was forced to cooperate.

But if it's (b), why would they leave Max alive after they got the money from the locker?  They wouldn't have much use for him now that all his muscle was gone, would they?  Is there an option (c)?

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 03:22:31 PM »

Watched the film again today, and I would go for b. Joe Pesci arranged the killings. After all, Senator Bailey delt with mafia, so Pesci was always behind him. I also noticed 3 guys sitting at a table next Pesci and company in the first scene he's in, and they looked a lot like the 3 hoods in the beginning.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 06:29:08 PM »

this is what i believe  option c) to be. i think that these hoods are also jewish. They are from the branch of the syndicate known as murder inc, a jewish hit squad, hired to do outta town jobs in most cases.  joe pesci character most probably  got them involved  and asked with their agreement for noodles to disappear.  obviously they thought noodles had turned  into a grass. we all know his was how a grass would be dealt with, no matter the previous friendships. i believe fat moe was allowed to live because he was a fringe member and they 'd know he'd never try anything in revenge, he had no backup now. thats my outlook.

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 07:53:33 AM »

Well, that's all plausible - but if Joe Pesci authorized the hit, why would they leave Max alive once they got the gang's money?   There were plenty of other people out there who could have run a trucking company.

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 02:22:25 AM »

Max was the perfect man for the syndicate: ambitions, businessman, cynical, connections - why would they wipe him out when he was so willing to play their game? And to even sacrifice his old gang?

And why is it that you suggest that anyone else but Max gets a hold of the suitcase money?
I dont think "they" force Max to do anything. He does things on his own, including selecting new business partners.

I am working on another and totally different frame of understanding as I write this, but I will have to see the film again before I post anything...

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2004, 02:13:32 PM »

Wow, that's a really clever way of looking at it.  Very plausible, Max is smart enough AND nasty enough to pull off such an elaborate con.  Someone mentioned the foreshadowing with the salt bags in the water as kids - Max probably filed away how strongly Noodles reacted when he thought he was drowning, and knew how much Noodles cared for him.   Like a chess player, he could anticipate every move Noodles would make once he set the wheels in motion for the phony bank heist.  
It wasn't that he filed away his reaction, that was their to show us that Max would play dead.  It was foreshadowing.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 02:14:14 PM by Two Kinds of ... » Logged

More feeling.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2004, 02:21:05 PM »

Watched the film again today, and I would go for b. Joe Pesci arranged the killings. After all, Senator Bailey delt with mafia, so Pesci was always behind him. I also noticed 3 guys sitting at a table next Pesci and company in the first scene he's in, and they looked a lot like the 3 hoods in the beginning.
At the hospital after they've visited Jimmy and the idea that Noodle might have to go comes up, Pesci sees Noodles and Max get off of separated elevators and gets an idea.   Later, Max tells Noodles that the cops and the mob were in on it, Pesci was behind him, but Pesci wanted Noodles dead, so Max made sure Noodles didn't come.

More feeling.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM