Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 08:09:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Public Enemies (2009)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Public Enemies (2009)  (Read 64041 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »

Similarly, one of the guys with Dillinger on the last bank job and at Little Bohemia is the guy who he kicked out of the car at the beginning, a detail I didn't pick up on the first time out.
Thanks. I kept waiting for that character to come back after seeing him get thrown out of the car. Makes sense that he did, even though the film did such a piss poor job of communicating it. Another example of filmmaking ineptitude.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2009, 06:54:28 AM »

There was an off-handed line of dialogue in the theater scene indicating who he was. I didn't notice the first time but in my second viewing I recognized his face. So I agree, Mann did a poor job of communicating this, and nothing was done with it anyway.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2009, 04:31:24 AM »

Funny parody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OufzjzPu4

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »

I loved the guys' Depp and Bale impersonations. Grin

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

- I still sat a row in front of chattering old douchebags providing their own running commentary on the film - almost as annoying as it was the first time.

Yeah, I love the stereotype that has been pinned to teenagers making noise in theatres (this is sometimes true) but no one talks about very old people talking during movies.

I remember when I saw No Country for Old Men at the theater with a friend of mine and a group of elderly folks were right behind us commenting on every little detail "Oh he shouldn't have done that" "I remember when I went to Texas" "is that the bad guy?"  After about an hour of this I finally turn around and ask "Do you mind? I'm trying to watch a movie"  Fortunately they stopped but they shot me some very dirty looks after the film.

It just goes to show you, generalization of people doesn't work.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »

The only really bad experience I have with teenagers in movies was at a preview screening of The Kingdom at Pitt, which wasn't even in a theater per se - lots of racial slurs hurled at the Arab characters in the film, which was very difficult to put up with. Most of my worse theater experiences have been as a result of old people or little kids. Milk is probably the worst example; some guy (he may not have been old, probably middle-aged) provided an obnoxious and LOUD commentary on pretty much every frame of the film, making the most asinine observations on everything (a shot of Castro Street yields a loud "Hey, it's Castro street!"). If he weren't enough, there was this old guy a few rows ahead of me who kept falling asleep and snoring so loud you could hear him even over the aforementioned douchebag, then his wife woke him and argued with him every few minutes - THEN he'd fall back to sleep. This went on for an hour before, mercifully, these old coots buggered off. But there was still the Commentating Douchebag to put up with for the whole film.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »

Well my friends are obnoxious theater assholes so I guess I don't have much input =/. It doesn't bother me personally (though it used to) but it bothers me that it bothers the whole rest of the theater and they don't give a shit.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2009, 06:56:33 AM »

Good article on the film's historical accuracy (or lack thereof):

http://www.slate.com/id/2222070/

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »

I came across this somewhat inadvertently on IMDB. Something called Pretty, Baby and Machine is in the works, with Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson and Machine Gun Kelly teaming up to kill Al Capone or something.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1268812/

It seems to be based on a graphic novel rather than real history although I've never heard of it. The cast list is very interesting but I'm not sure what to think about the story idea.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »

Here's a great resource for anyone looking for info on the public enemy era and the early days of the FBI, including many FBI and police reports, interviews, newspaper articles and other primary documents.

http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »

http://www.cracked.com/article/89_the-6-most-horrific-bosses-all-time/

When you get to the J. Edgar Hoover bit

theres a mention of Melvin Purvis

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »

Movie coming out on Blu-Ray October 26th. I may want the DVD just so I can hear the commentary, I'd love to hear Mann's excuses for completely bolloxing the historical timeline. Awful cover-art, even worse than the stupid "Attack of the 50 Ft. Depp" poster.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=6721

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2009, 01:46:24 AM »

http://www.cracked.com/article/89_the-6-most-horrific-bosses-all-time/

When you get to the J. Edgar Hoover bit

theres a mention of Melvin Purvis

Burrough goes into the Hoover/Purvis relationship in some detail. It started out very amicably (to an extent that some have hypothized ol' J. Edgar may have had a crush on Melvin) but quickly went sour when Hoover discovered that Purvis had a chronic addiction to the press. He deserves some credit for the killing of Dillinger perhaps but he got extremely lucky with Floyd (he was in Ohio investigating a kidnapping when local cops called for help), and I would argue he was pretty much incompetent. However, Purvis played no direct role in Nelson's death, in fact Hoover specifically blocked him from taking part in the attempted arrest and had Cowley and Hollis go instead (ironically saving Purvis's life). This didn't stop Purvis from grandstanding in front of the cameras after the Barrington shootout though, he was definitely a publicity hound. One of the things which struck me as very odd is that Hoover sent Purvis a lengthy memo berating him for not speaking loudly enough over the telephone, so the stuff mentioned in the article doesn't seem odd at all; if anyone could hold a grudge it was Hoover.

I came across an FBI-produced docu-short on YouTube not long ago which describes the manhunt for Dillinger in some detail but completely omits mention of Purvis.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »

I might want to check out the DVD to see what Mann has to say about his, erm, dramatic license.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »

Mann is obsessed with authentic locations and getting into the minds and psyche of the main characters, to a much greater depth than those involved with the John Milius movie.

If this is the case than he failed miserably with every character but Dillinger himself. Cardboard cut-outs are generally lacking in depth.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM