Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:26:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Sky (1952)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Sky (1952)  (Read 4898 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

I remebered this as slow moving but I was wrong. It is one of the best adventure movies I saw.  The studio scenes are the only fault I find. Interesting mixture of three languages heard throughout the movie. Wonderful performances by Worden, Hunnicutt and Threatt. Douglas is very bad at first but then he does better. Garfield gives most of the merit to Nichols and criticizes the scarce inventiveness of Hawks' direction. I agree. 8\10 

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:23:51 AM »

From what I can remember, this is a great W-adventure indeed. Saw it only once, as a kid, on TV, but certain scenes like when they had to cut off Douglas' character's finger with a red-hot knife stick with you forever after. Also some warm 'n' cozy by-the-campfire scenes and men talk that goes with 'em.

What I didn't know practically until now is that this was originally a b/w movie, because I saw the colorized version (that was in pretty good shape), so I was a little surprised as this obviously wasn't yesterday. But what I'm surprised even more is how this movie is hard to find nowadays. The only DVD version there apparently is costs 30 - 50 $ on Amazon and eBay! And even VHS tapes are minimum 5 $ to maximum 35 $ (the colorized version)! What a joke!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:34:56 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »

I bought the italian release, with 2 dvd's (both bw and colour) for 3 euros.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »

The re-release:

http://www.ibs.it/dvd/8032442217779/kirk-douglas-elisabeth-threcat-arthur-hunnicutt-dewey/grande-cielo.html

cheaper than amazon.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »

Thanks!

I'll sniff around a little more to see what I can find, but this (although seems to lack a documentary track) looks everything a DVD edition of classic should look like.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »

Here even cheaper: http://www.elleu.it/customer/product.php?productid=1622&cat=14

But on ebay, if you don't care for frills (this release has a better cover and a postcard with the original poster) you can find the previous relase even cheaper: http://tinyurl.com/3xm7e4a

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:05:16 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

Yeah, that's definitely interesting. Though it seems to have only the b/w version of the movie, and I don't know if I feel like risking... I've seen only the colorized one. Which one do you like better?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »

Yeah, that's definitely interesting. Though it seems to have only the b/w version of the movie, and I don't know if I feel like risking... I've seen only the colorized one. Which one do you like better?

It has both versions with two different dvd's: I have that release. They only changed the cover.
I didn't see the color version and probably never will.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »

Aha, because that seller on eBAY lists only one DVD being for sale.

Hah, I'll leave the b/w version for seconds, not to spoil the good memories. Cheesy

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 03:00:49 AM »

Great bunch of characters to embark on a W adventure with, that's for sure. Watched the b/w version and I have to say the one in color still stays in my mind as the better one, the wild piny nature and river shots just lose so much authenticity and life if not in color (if you ask me). Hopefully I'll get the other one too soon and tell you more. The actors in the roles of their lives, but you can't go much wrong in a adventure flick with goofy characters like that.

The 140 min version unfortunately reveals much of Howard Hawks' notorious directorial demerits, I see now IMDb list also a 20 minutes shorter (edited) version, and it makes perfect sense to me. I'm thinking it could have been a full-blown and one-of-a-kind masterpiece if directed by someone else.

7.6/10

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:03:16 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

I've wanted to see this for years. I never had a region free dvd player, and couldn't find this anywhere on the net - not on youtube or anywhere else. It's great to have finally seen this, the 120 min version was on TCM a couple days ago.

the scarce inventiveness of Hawks' direction.

The 140 min version unfortunately reveals much of Howard Hawks' notorious directorial demerits, I see now IMDb list also a 20 minutes shorter (edited) version, and it makes perfect sense to me. I'm thinking it could have been a full-blown and one-of-a-kind masterpiece if directed by someone else.

...Are you guys serious? Hawks is probably my pick for the best director ever, who could have possibly done a better job and what type of movie were you seeking? imo Hawks elevates the material considerably. The strong point is the relationship between the characters, the budget wasn't there for the adventure elements to be explored any more than they were. If you were forced to shoot a good chunk of an adventure movie about fur trappers on the studio lot, who better to make it than Hawks?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:58:17 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM