Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:45:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Tall Men (1955)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tall Men (1955)  (Read 1887 times)
Tuco the ugly
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:42:30 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048691/

All in all enjoyable western mostly because of its characters/actors, but that doesn't offer much apart from doodling with many classic W elements. It's basically plotless, but there's a good vibe between the characters that carries the movie on. Probably overlong (2 hours). Some may not like the romance thing. Gable in his element, Russell, Ryan and Mitchell good abettors.

I love it, but wouldn't go above 6.5/10.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:35:00 PM by Dust Devil » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »

It's a strange movie in that it's two hours, lean on plot and isn't nearly as character driven as one would think. It's a very good movie though, somehow. It's tough to rate but I'd give it a 7-8 because it's quite unique and moves a lot quicker than it probably should. One of the more reflective classic westerns I've seen. In many ways, it's ahead of its time. The landscapes and cinematography are really impressive. I didn't have an issue with the love triangle, but I could see some making a good case that it's both problematic and not quite realized, same for all relationships between the four main characters. Still, somehow, it works.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »

Gable is fantastic: the others are very good but he's the personification of what a leading man is supposed to be in first place, and he's doing virtually nothing!

The deserted cabin in the blizzard is awesome.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »

Yeah, that was a great scene. And without Gable, I don't think this would have been too memorable outside of its cinematography.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »

\Good for the cattle wading scenes. The story is passable with a good finale, though overstretched. Gable looks old and can do little action. Jane Russell never haunted my dreams, with that anguloar face. Ryan is excellent as usual. 6\10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM