Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:33:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  True Grit (2010)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: True Grit (2010)  (Read 27419 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »

By the Coens, sure, but still...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/mar/23/coen-brothers-plan-true-grit-remake

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:14:54 AM »

Jeff Bridges has been reported to be lined up as the lead in the Coen Bros remake of True Grit. It could be interesting to see the result.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:26:10 AM »

Or even not to see it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:43:53 AM »

Hmmm. Well, they did such a good job with Cormic McCarthy that the Coens may actually be ideal for adapting the Portis novel. Not that the Hathaway film did a bad job, it was very faithful. But it might be nice to see Oklahoma playing Oklahoma instead of Colorado playing Oklahoma.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:46:21 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »

Also Rooster Cogburn in novel is actually in his 40's I believe, so John Wayne was actually a bit old in the part.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:51:02 AM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8234.0

Although you have gotten replies when I didn't.

Anyway, this just doesn't sound like a good idea. Bridges is not the Duke, and the Coens botched their last attempt at a remake, so count me out.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »

I think this sounds like an excellent idea. Seeing how this will be more faithful to the novel hence the realism which the Duke film lacked. I still enjoy the original but if the Coen Brothers play their cards right, this may very well exceed the original in terms of quality.

A few things I hope for are:
1) dropping the romanticized optimism and replacing it with some "true grit"

2) give the role of Mattie to someone who won't annoy the sh*t out of you every time she's on screen

3) keep the period dialogue (that's one thing the original got right)

4) And my biggest gripe, give the character of Tom Chaney more screen time and make him menacing (there's no real tension when you have John Wayne going up against a scrawny little weasel who looks like he can be pushed over with the touch of a finger and whines about the world hating him).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »

I agree that the original ain't perfect - looking at you, Kim Darby and Glenn Campbell - but still a solid Western on the whole.

It seemed to me that Ned Peppers (Duvall's character) was the main bad guy rather than Chaney so I don't really mind that much.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

It seemed to me that Ned Peppers (Duvall's character) was the main bad guy rather than Chaney so I don't really mind that much.

I didn't think so, I still consider Chaney to be the true villain of the film even though Ned Pepper is his superior. When we see Mattie with Ned in the hideout, from what he says we begin to perceive him more of an anti-hero than a villain. Although he is only concerned about saving his own skin, he never has or never wants to hurt a young girl unlike Tom Chaney who has every intention of doing so. Besides, we don't see Pepper commit any evil acts unlike Chaney whom we know to have done some dastardly deeds.

Hence we need to have an actor who brings strong menace to the character. A weakling like the guy who originally played Tom Chaney kind of undermines the significance of the marshal's pursuit of him (through the audience's eyes at least).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:27:55 PM by The Peacemaker » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8234.0
Anyway, this just doesn't sound like a good idea. Bridges is not the Duke, and the Coens botched their last attempt at a remake, so count me out.
Are you talking about The Ladykillers? I don't think they wrote that one. There's a couple in there where they filmed other people's scripts, and I don't consider them true Coen Bros. films. This new one should be all right if they write it themselves.

And the whole thing about Bridges not being the Duke . . .  Hathaway's film was shaped to accommodate Wayne, and it worked well, but it was a distortion of the original novel. I admire Portis's novel very much (I teach it) and I'd like to see what can be done with a more faithful interpretation of Rooster. So count me in.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 12:58:54 AM »

Is Bridges going to shout "Fill yur hands you sonvabitch!" ?

And if he is... how is he going to top the Dukes delivery of said line?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »

More rasp?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true_grit/news/1852179/exclusive_coen_brothers_talk_true_grit

I like the proposed casting (Bridges, Damon and Brolin), but I think Mattie will be key. Kim Darby was perhaps the worst part of the original, hopefully they can find someone less obnoxious this time around.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »

Kim Darby was perhaps the worst part of the original, hopefully they can find someone less obnoxious this time around.
Well, not less obnoxious, just obnoxious in a different way. If you check out the book you'll see that Mattie is pretty annoying, and I'm sure the Coens will want to be true to their source.

That's a pretty interesting article, Grogs, thanks for the link. I think the piece deserves to be copied into the record, though, so I'm posting it here:

Exclusive: Coen Brothers Talk True Grit
An update on casting and their take on the tale.
by Chris Tilly | October 27, 2009

With the trades this morning carrying a casting announcement for the Coen brothers adaptation of True Grit, RT decided to go straight to the horses' mouths and ask the siblings about the news and their plans for the story.

According to Variety, Jeff Bridges will play U.S. marshal Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne in the original) while Matt Damon is in talks to play the lawman and Josh Brolin is up for the role of the killer. Joel confirmed the story to RT, "Yes, Jeff, Matt and Josh, that's true - something that you read in the trades that actually turns out to be true!"

The 1969 original film was loosely based on the novel by Charles Portis, and revolved around a young girl hiring Cogburn to track down the man who killed her father. According to Ethan, this new version will be much closer to the source material. "It's partly a question of point-of-view" the writer-director explained. "The book is entirely in the voice of the 14-year-old girl. That sort of tips the feeling of it over a certain way.

"I think it's much funnier than the movie was so I think unfortunately they lost a lot of humour in both the situations and in her voice. It also ends differently than the movie did. You see the main character - the little girl - 25 years later when she's an adult."

He continued, "Another way in which it's a little bit different from the movie - and maybe this is just because of the time the movie was made - is that it's a lot tougher and more violent than the movie reflects. Which is part of what's interesting about it."

Joel added, "I don't actually remember the movie too well, but do I remember it being much more of a standard Western, and the book is just an oddity. It's a very odd book."

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »

Also Rooster Cogburn in novel is actually in his 40's I believe, so John Wayne was actually a bit old in the part.

True Grit was released in 1969 when John Wayne was 62, while the remake is set to be released in 2011 when Jeff Bridges will be also 62 (or a few months shy). Funny.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM