Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:59:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The True Story of Jesse James (1957)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The True Story of Jesse James (1957)  (Read 2357 times)
Tuco the ugly
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051114/

Pretty weak western with too much drama and very little action. (Poor man's James Garner) Robert Wagner did a good job but the story is so sluggish and anemic it's of no use. I doubt many people even remember this version. Real story, maybe, but a damn boring one.

4/10

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:03:51 PM by Dust Devil » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »

Nicholas Ray directed this, so I gave it a chance. Overall, not very good but an interesting picture. there seems to be an emphasis on realism (althogh half-assed), also it could be the first time the leone pattened dusters were seen in a western (don't quote me on that though). The movie relies on flashbacks too much and overall is a bit draggy and long. The shootout which tales place in the beginning and near the end of the film reminds me a lot of the opening scene from The Wild Bunch, it had to influence Sam, although it doesn't compare. This film has some nice scenes but overall is pretty average. worth a watch though.

another tidbit I noticed is the 07 Pitt James film seems to have taken a bit form this film, the houses are eerily similar, the place where Ford shoots James, the locations are almost identical (not the interior though).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:53:06 AM »

As far as I know Ray's film was mutilated by the producers, so it's only a torso we have to deal with.

The dusters were already present in Henry King's classic Jesse James version from 1939.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:43 AM »

....also it could be the first time the leone pattened dusters were seen in a western (don't quote me on that though).
They're used in Clementine, 11 years earlier, and I doubt that even that was the first time.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 02:15:11 AM »

Haven't seen the '39 version and have seen MDC multiple times but never noticed/made the connection.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:17:57 AM by Tuco Harmonica » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:35:57 AM »

In MDC they are only presented as rain coats.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM