Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:51:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El kárate, el Colt y el impostor aka The Stranger and the Gunfighter (1974)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El kárate, el Colt y el impostor aka The Stranger and the Gunfighter (1974)  (Read 13901 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 05:00:37 PM »

Switch the last two words of your second sentence and that pretty much sums up SHANGHAI JOE Cheesy

It's alright. We can't agree on everything.  Smiley

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »

Reading my old review of TSATG I think I was too harsh on it and I didn't really like the sarcastic tone I added to the review.
Do you want me to remove it so you can write a more positive review?

Yes AC, SHANGHAI JOE goes up to 11 on my crapometer   Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »

Do you want me to remove it so you can write a more positive review?

I'll try to have another look at it again, eventually.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 05:42:30 AM »

No, no, no. Leave it. Don't remove it on my account. I already wrote a positive review some time ago and noted the faults from my perspective.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »

Here's your review AC

This version of S&TG is the french disc and it appears to be uncut as some of the violence I don't remember seeing on the Columbia VHS. The picture quality is immaculate. The widescreen presentation brings out a better appreciation for this one which completely dwarfs the similar but rather lackluster FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE. Excellent production values from the HK locations as several of those massive sets and the bridge were utilized or redressed in many of the Shaws biggest martial chivalry and kung fu epics around this time. Lee Van Cleef was obviously enjoying himself on this one and his rapport with Shaw star Lo Lieh is quite fun to watch. However, it was odd to see future Shaw exploitation starlet Chen Ping in a (small)role completely clothed.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »

AC's updated opinions on this movie:-

STRANGER & THE GUNFIGHTER, THE- 1974-

Shaw Brothers and Carlo Ponti teamed up for this lively and fun spaghetti eastern starring Lee Van Cleef and Shaw leading man Lo Lieh about a treasure whose whereabouts are tattooed on a number of Lady-of-the-evening’s behinds.

The story, while not wholly original, offers some humorous interplay between the two leads. A villainous preacher and his giant Indian henchman is also after the gold as well as a bandit gang. All the usual clichés are trotted out for this film which never takes itself seriously.

Lo uses his own voice and speaks good english and gets some funny lines. The Shaw’s instill some much needed production value to the proceedings that was lacking in these movies at the time. With all these ingredients and its light hearted tone, there are still some letdowns.

The first few fight scenes are very lackadaisical and are not up to par with the Shaw actioners released at the time. Towards the end the fights get much better, though. The final moments with Van Cleef (who already has Asian features) dressed in Chinese regalia and being carried around in a sedan are a hoot.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »

I saw this in french and I'll go with FC's review. I didn't like it, though it has those elements FC noted. 5\10

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »

I saw this in french and I'll go with FC's review. I didn't like it, though it has those elements FC noted. 5\10

What elements are those?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »

Firecracker's  Crappiest SW Review Cry :-

The Good:
1. Lee van cleef singing just before he is going to be hanged is always a welcome addition for camp value.

2. Lee van cleef's facial expressions after drinking "chinese liquor".

3. Lee van cleef autographing the naked ass of a french women.
4. (my personal fav) Lee van cleef impersonating an englishman.

5. the preacher proclaiming "me for instance" after a hooker asks a man "who would want to hit a nice young man like you?"

The Bad:
everything else....

and the Ugly:
the fact that I actually sat through this.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »

And if that old review still stands, I still don't agree with any of it. It's obvious LVC was having a good time on that picture, if he wasn't he's a far better actor than he gets credit for. And regardless of which one you like better, anybody that thinks SHANGHAI JOE is a better made movie than S&TG needs their head examined. Cheesy

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »

And if that old review still stands

It does.

And regardless of which one you like better, anybody that thinks SHANGHAI JOE is a better made movie than S&TG needs their head examined. Cheesy

Maybe Cheesy

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

It does.

Maybe Cheesy

Well, before you say whether martial arts scenes are good or bad, you should see more than 4 or 5 before making an assessment and also take into consideration that the choreography evolved from the 30's up to today. Each succeeding decade the techniques changed from what Asians called "old fashioned style moviemaking" to the new style of today's action movies.

And you should also take into consideration that S&TG has actual production values and that it was cooperatively backed by what was, at the time, the largest privately owned film studio in the world. SHANGHAI JOE has nothing but a lot of sloppy gore and a lot of what CJ calls, 'gravel pits'. And Kinski apparently hated appearing in this movie (aside from the "few dollars more" he got on this cinematic eyesore) as the director has nothing nice to say about him. Although he doesn't mention it by name, Kinski refers to his succeeding westerns becoming "shittier and shittier". But comparing SHANGHAI JOE to shit is a bit too kind. Cheesy

And you couldn't pay me to sit through the execrable mess that is FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE again. I'll sell you the DVD if you want it. Smiley

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

I will update the review though for my book.
Trim it down a little and add a few other things that I liked.

Shanghai Joe's kung-fu choregraphy is very poor (even worse than some of the early stuff in SATG) but the colorful villains, good soundtrack (ripped from the third Sartana) and fast pacing make it a much more watchable movie I think.

Lo Lieh would have been a much better choice to have as Joe than Chen Lee, soley on the basis that I'am now a King Boxer fan Cheesy .

The perks for SATG is LVC's comic performance, nice big sets and the serious finale but that's pretty much it (for me).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »

Well, before you say whether martial arts scenes are good or bad, you should see more than 4 or 5 before making an assessment

Is that lovelockandload elitism I smell? Cheesy
I've seen more than that.
I prefer the sword epics though.

The Kung-fu improves in the finale but the the sequence in China just isn't very good.
And just because the stars had a good time making the film doesn't mean we have to have a good time watching it. Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:45:30 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »

I will update the review though for my book.
Trim it down a little and add a few other things that I liked.

Shanghai Joe's kung-fu choregraphy is very poor (even worse than some of the early stuff in SATG) but the colorful villains, good soundtrack (ripped from the third Sartana) and fast pacing make it a much more watchable movie I think.

Lo Lieh would have been a much better choice to have as Joe than Chen Lee, soley on the basis that I'am now a King Boxer fan Cheesy .

The perks for SATG is LVC's comic performance, nice big sets and the serious finale but that's pretty much it (for me).

Lo Lieh wasn't even a martial artist, but had a massive career that lasted over three decades. This Chen Lee guy only did four movies I'm aware of, and they all were Italian films with possibly HK backing.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM