Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:23:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El kárate, el Colt y el impostor aka The Stranger and the Gunfighter (1974)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El kárate, el Colt y el impostor aka The Stranger and the Gunfighter (1974)  (Read 13666 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »

STRANGER & THE GUNFIGHTER-haven't seen it in years but I remember the VHS being cut  so I'll definitely pick up the french disc. As to LVC's performance, there was no where else for the actor to go but into the realm of comedy. It was 1974 and the serious spaghetti hero had run its course or had been crushed underfoot by the onslaught of the TRINITY films and there imitators. Also this type of film was on the wane, supplanted by the kung fu film which was all the rage throughout the 70s and early 80s. Lo Lieh, who was not a real martial artist, but was convincing as one, was the first kung fu star before Bruce Lee ever hit. That film was KING BOXER or its more well known international title 5 FINGERS OF DEATH which is still one of the biggest international hits ever. Lo was chosen for S&TG because of the success of 5FOD and paired with another international superstar LVC who was also popular in HK(spaghetti westerns and James Bond films where big money makers in Hong Kong as Shaw Brothers had a monopoly on nearly all theater chains in HK at the time, something that would never happen in the US). The film has a playful atmosphere about it and it's obvious a substantial budget was utilized. Carlo Ponti and Shaws collaborated on several other co-productions notably the 3 SUPERMEN films mixing peplum, fantasy and kung fu. Margheriti as a director I wouldn't necessarily classify as a B director. He has turned out some classy films such as CASTLE OF BLOOD, VIRGIN OF NUREMBERG, WEB OF THE SPIDER and some "classic" films like THE LAST HUNTER and CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE aka APOCALYPSE TOMORROW. He was also the first italian director to attempt a sci fi film in Italy with two films-WAR OF THE PLANETS and BATTLE OF THE WORLDS(I think those are names).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 11:21:52 AM »

He was also the first italian director to attempt a sci fi film in Italy with two films-WAR OF THE PLANETS and BATTLE OF THE WORLDS(I think those are names).

one of which stars Franco Nero. I think you have one named confused with "Wild Wild Wild Planet".

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:32:31 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 11:32:22 AM »

Yes correct, although I think one or both have another alias.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 06:30:56 PM »

STRANGER & THE GUNFIGHTER-haven't seen it in years but I remember the VHS being cut  so I'll definitely pick up the french disc. As to LVC's performance, there was no where else for the actor to go but into the realm of comedy. It was 1974 and the serious spaghetti hero had run its course or had been crushed underfoot by the onslaught of the TRINITY films and there imitators. Also this type of film was on the wane, supplanted by the kung fu film which was all the rage throughout the 70s and early 80s. Lo Lieh, who was not a real martial artist, but was convincing as one, was the first kung fu star before Bruce Lee ever hit. That film was KING BOXER or its more well known international title 5 FINGERS OF DEATH which is still one of the biggest international hits ever. Lo was chosen for S&TG because of the success of 5FOD and paired with another international superstar LVC who was also popular in HK(spaghetti westerns and James Bond films where big money makers in Hong Kong as Shaw Brothers had a monopoly on nearly all theater chains in HK at the time, something that would never happen in the US). The film has a playful atmosphere about it and it's obvious a substantial budget was utilized. Carlo Ponti and Shaws collaborated on several other co-productions notably the 3 SUPERMEN films mixing peplum, fantasy and kung fu. Margheriti as a director I wouldn't necessarily classify as a B director. He has turned out some classy films such as CASTLE OF BLOOD, VIRGIN OF NUREMBERG, WEB OF THE SPIDER and some "classic" films like THE LAST HUNTER and CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE aka APOCALYPSE TOMORROW. He was also the first italian director to attempt a sci fi film in Italy with two films-WAR OF THE PLANETS and BATTLE OF THE WORLDS(I think those are names).
Thanks for the info about the entertaining Lo Lieh-i had no idea he was so popular.For my money SATG is LVCs most enjoyable 70's sw!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 06:32:26 PM »

really? I thought they were a creative gag.
If it is it falls badly flat!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 11:34:55 PM »

Lo Lieh had a long and varied career(He died a few years ago from Cancer). He appeared in genres ranging from kung fu-his most famous role being the near indestructible white brow priest in EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN to swordplay action with the VERY spaghetti westernish INVINCIBLE FIST, to horror like the BLACK MAGIC series and gambling films such as THE NOTORIOUS EIGHT. He even directed once with the classic CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS. He was one of a few HK actors who could make an easy transition from Hero to Villain. Also about Margheriti, he also directed Van Cleef again in the blaxploitation western TAKE A HARD RIDE with Jim Brown.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 11:37:52 PM »

Margheriti, he also directed Van Cleef again in the blaxploitation western TAKE A HARD RIDE with Jim Brown.

thats correct, but I wouldnt call it a blaxploitation film. It is very much a spag western, jim Brown or not.

after all I wouldnt call "100 rifles" a blaxploitation film.

As for "clan of the white Lotus"...I assume tarantino also ripped this off to make a "nod" to it, in Kill Bill volume 2?

the pai-mei character.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:50:59 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 11:55:00 PM »

Yes he did even utilizing the films US theatrical title as a line of dialog-FISTS OF THE WHITE LOTUS and also in the way Uma Thurman kills Carradine at the end. Even though this was the death strike that Pai Mei would deliver to his adversaries but it was called the 100 pace palm. Gordon Liu(in both KILL BILL films)was the recipient in COTWL although when confronting the White Lotus chief(again played by Lo Lieh-the even more powerful classmate of Pai Mei)Liu is asked how he is still alive and his response is of his 100 pace palm he only took 99. Not only that but the real story of Pai Mei is skewed in Tarantinos film. The actual man lived during the 1600's and was a betrayer to the shaolin monks as they refused to be subjected to the tyranny of the invading Manchu armies.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 05:25:06 AM »

thats correct, but I wouldnt call it a blaxploitation film. It is very much a spag western, jim Brown or not.
I'm surprised you haven't picked up Take A Hard Ride as its now out on a widescreen dvd for £5 on UK Amazon-very cheap!!,Firecracker,afterall you've got Kid Vengeance aka Take Another Hard Ride.
I've read some good and bad things about the earlier movie and have been tempted by the inclusion(i think) of Jim Kelly-the black karate guy from Enter The Dragon.Whats mainly put me off is hearing it was filmed in the Canary Islands(or somewhere like that!).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 11:52:02 AM »

I'm surprised you haven't picked up Take A Hard Ride as its now out on a widescreen dvd for £5 on UK Amazon-very cheap!!,Firecracker,afterall you've got Kid Vengeance aka Take Another Hard Ride.
I've read some good and bad things about the earlier movie and have been tempted by the inclusion(i think) of Jim Kelly-the black karate guy from Enter The Dragon.Whats mainly put me off is hearing it was filmed in the Canary Islands(or somewhere like that!).

I havent plunked down to get it because I just have other sws I am interested in at the moment. I will be getting it soon. and It cant be as bad as "Kid Vengeance".

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »

Take a Hard Ride is a decent action/comedy/buddy movie, basically.  LVC's bounty-hunter/antagonist is probably the most complicated character, for all his lack of screentime.
I did get a cheapo of this in the end from UK Amazon(£5)
and it is quite watchable though LVC's character is very confusing(is he a good or bad guy?) and his last scene when he's just been shot and trotts off on his horse is unsatisfactory.With the Jim Brown connection a good companion piece to El Condor.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 03:25:50 PM »

seen the first hour of "Take a hard ride" I really like LVC's character. very terrifying.

I almost read what you had to say about the end Banjo but I stopped myself before I could read it. I'll finish the film today.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 05:54:34 AM »

Firecracker's  Crappiest SW Review Cry :-

Stranger and the gunfighter

ok...here we go.....

I really, really ,really really wanted to like this film...REALLY. but I couldnt bring myself to like it. true it has some really funny and shining moments that make the film somewhat worth seeing(the key word is "somewhat") but all the few fun moments are bogged down by all the other scenes that contain nothing but mindless and boring drivel. so all the good stuff is way outnumbered by all the bad stuff.

the story is about a bum safe cracker(Van cleef) named Dakota. Dakota arrives at a town where he hopes to steal the fortune of wealthy china man Wang. Dakota enters the bank where Wang keeps his supposed fortune in several safes. Dakota opens each safe only to be dissappointed in finding nothing but some pictures of the womens nude backsides(or as Dakota would say..."asses"). while opening the last safe with dynamite, dakota accidently kills Wang. Dakota is arrested and sentenced to a hanging.

meanwhile we are introduced to Wang's nephew Ho. the intro to this new character takes place in china. and oh boy what a long and boring intro it is. we spend way to much time in china(a tedious 7 minutes). this scene only shows that a chinese warlord wishes for Ho to go to america to find his uncle's fortune(which the warlord gave his uncle for some reason), because all that was sent from america was a wooden statue of an indian. the scene also demonstrates that Ho is efficent in the art of kung-fu. this scene suffers from its lenght. all the information I mentioned above about the scene could have been squeezed into at least a 3 minute running time as opposed to a long and dreary 7 minutes. Anyway...Ho arrives at america only to find out that his uncle was "murdered" by outlaw Dakota during a failed bank heist, Ho is given the pictures Dakota found in his uncle's safes. lucky for Ho, he has arrived on the day of Dakota's execution. Ho wants answers from the outlaw and saves him from the hanging. the two come up  with the assumption that the fortune can be found by finding the women in the pictures and having a look at there back sides which have been tatooed with a "clue" to where the fortune is. In pursuit is our villian of the piece, a nut-job preacher who travels around in a mobile chapel(one of the only visual gags that work in the film). to bad he doesnt work very well as a villain. he is more of a clumsy oaf then any real threat to our heroes. to bad, because he could have really been a threatening presence. the filmmakers wasted the oppertunity by making him more comical then needed. well...after all the characters have been introduced all that is left to say about the film is that it is a rather long silly and rambling story. there is one overly long kung-fu scene that takes place in a back room of a gambling house(in the laundry if I remember correctly). the kung fu in that scene is badly done and clocks in about a good 4 minutes on my version. I rememeber wanting to shut it off(my finger was very close to pressing the stop button).after that mishap, the badly choregraphed kung-fu doesnt spring up again until the climax(thank the lord)
and by then it was improved...marginally. what is in between that is more rambling and most of the time "boring story". at the end the bad preacher man catches several bullets from van cleef, which was cool(only because his death was complete with squibs and up until now...there were no squibs in the film). anyway the money was not found in america, instead the fortune turned out to be inside the wooden indian statue back in china, which just pissed me off because I didnt really have to endure the 104 minutes of this film if only they found it in the statue the first 10 minutes of the film. And this whole "surprise (GOTCHA!)" ending just cheats the audience in the most embarassing way.
ah man what a waste.

actors:

van cleef: Van Cleef is credited as making some of the best spaghetti westerns(Death rides a horse, Day of anger, Big gundown etc.) but he is also credited as making the worst(Captain apache, Bad man's river, God's gun etc.). this film (to me) is part of the latter. and it doesnt help that his acting seems so forced here. he is very unconvincing when portraying anger through dialogue(something I have noticed also in "Beyond the Law"). he just looks so uncomfortable when he has to spout out something angry. He gets anger across much better when he doesnt have to say anything. unfortunatly this role requires him to be a comic character that talks alot and is prone to angry out burst like "what the hell!" and "what is that supposed to mean!" *sigh*

whats his face?(sorry forgot the actors name, the chinese man who plays Ho):does a typical chinese stereotype role. complete with fortune cookie logic.

the Music: Nothing special, it does it's job though. It aint horrible.

The Good:
1. Lee van cleef singing just before he is going to be hanged is always a welcome addition for camp value.

2. Lee van cleef's facial expressions after drinking "chinese liquor".

3. Lee van cleef autographing the naked ass of a french women.
4. (my personal fav) Lee van cleef impersonating an englishman.

5. the preacher proclaiming "me for instance" after a hooker asks a man "who would want to hit a nice young man like you?"

The Bad:
everything else....

and the Ugly:
the fact that I actually sat through this.

DONT WASTE YOURE CASH! I was lucky enough to acquire this for $3.00 from an ebay seller called jerksi. And that was even a waste.

WATCH OUT for a film called Blood Money. it is the same film masquerading around under a different name.

those looking for a good "east meets west" spag, check out Shanghai Joe(recommended by me).

CRAP METER:6

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:6

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »

I don't agree with that review at all. If anything, SHANGHAI JOE should be the one to avoid. The only thing that film has going for it is the abundant gore and a brief cameo by Kinski. STRANGER isn't perfect, but it's light years ahead of the other film on every level.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »

I don't agree with that review at all. If anything, SHANGHAI JOE should be the one to avoid. The only thing that film has going for it is the abundant gore and a brief cameo by Kinski. STRANGER isn't perfect, but it's light years ahead of the other film on every level.

I like SJ. A pleasent time waster.

Soundtrack (ripped from HAGFSWP) is rousing.

Reading my old review of TSATG I think I was too harsh on it and I didn't really like the sarcastic tone I added to the review.
Most of my "crappy SW reviews" equal the quality of the films being reviewed.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 04:59:27 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM