Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:14:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il grande duello aka Grand Duel (1972)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Il grande duello aka Grand Duel (1972)  (Read 23267 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2005, 10:44:19 AM »

Watched it this morning, first impressions not that bad, a bit campy but Lee Van Cleef comports himself well as ex sheriff Clayton, Alberto Dentice as Phillip Wermeer the wanted man with $3000 on his head, Horst Frank as patriarch Saxon, Marc Mazza as the homosexual Saxon brother Eli (a real flamer in this flick, dressed in white, fedora hat, silk scarf that uses to shield violence scenes  from his eyes (he also twitters around  the set a bit) , and KLaus Grunberg as the Sherriff Adam Saxon. The film also has a familar face from GBU  Antonio Casale (Jackson/Bill Carson) as the bounty hunter named Hole. The story is average, the music is very good, its not up there in the top films but its way better than Van Cleef's, Bad Man's River & Captian Apache. I'll go into more later.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »

How is Wild East's presentation of film Joe? I am mighty tempted in picking up the Cleef Double Collection.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
HEX
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 02:09:39 PM »

watched my copy of the GRAND DUEL from wild east last night. 

THE GOOD

the opening of the film captures youre interest immediatly with its very strange set. u have never quite  seen a spag west scene like this before. the terrain seems to be on a mountain and great pillars of rock jet out from the ground. on the set is a small town where a few bounty hunters are hiding in the shadows of every corner waiting to capture there prey that has been in hiding with a prostitute in a barn(or hotel room. cant really tell). in comes sheriff CLAYTON(VAN CLEEF) on a stagcoach. he enters the town bypassing the onlooking bounty hunters. it is funny to see this because he seems to know where all of them are. one of the hunters attempts to shoot him from the side, and without even looking CLAYTON waves his hand in a "no" gesture towards him. i will not  spoil the plot anymore.

the film has wonderfully choreographed shoot outs and gundowns, some of the best i have seen in this genre.

the theme of the film is one of the best of the genre.

VAN CLEEF plays a slightly different role in the film. he not really an anti-hero. he is not going around and killing for his own benefit. he is very righteous unlike his former characters(which was nice to see)

the villians are as evil as they come. on a good mention one of them is obviously gay and has marks on his face(that is either scares from a fight or picked out acne). he uses his tie for weird reasons, for example in one scene he shoots somebody and uses the tie to shoo away the gun smoke from his nose.

PETER O BRIAN does a fine job as a wrongfully accused outlaw which CLAYTON is tryting to help. i thought he was going to be an annoying side-kick to VAN CLEEF, but thankfully he wasnt. in fact much of the movie they are at odds with eachother.

the audio quality is very good(compared to WILD EAST'S DAY OF ANGER release.)

the film has a nice mystery element to it. like a "who done it" type scenario. it is a bit predictable but it is nice to have in a genre that is pretty much void of that type of twist.

THE BAD

one of the few things i disliked about the film was the length. it was way to short. i was not timing it but it could have not been more then an hour and 40 minutes.
i would have like to see at least a two hour feature, that way we would have more time for character developement.

VAN CLEEF doesnt really do much killing. so if u are expecting VAN CLEEF to shoot some one every five minutes stay away from this. with the exception of the opening scene and the end VAN CLEEF pretty much just sits around looking cool and building up beef between himself and the bad guys(though this is not a bad thing at all). PETER O BRIAN and the villians do much of the killing here.

the showdown at the end is a bit of a let down. through out the film u get these fabulously staged gun fights, so u expect a lot coming youre way when the final showdown comes around, but u dont really get it. u just get a standard showdown(with great music)

THE DVD
another mixed-bag from WILD EAST for me. it is wonderfully presented as opposed to the copies of this film flying around i am sure, but i still think WILD EAST can do much better. the audio is sometimes drowned by music and there are various "static" type scratches every now and again, but otherwise they did a fine job.
but i still cannot help but notice how well BLUE UNDERGROUND did there spag transfers. why cant WILD EAST keep up? is it because they dont have the equipment? are they less skilled? what gives? if BLUE UNDERGROUND did a dvd of this film i am sure it would look much nicer in there hands.
as for special features...well there are none. unless u count a trailer for the film and some pictures of posters.
they could at least put subtitles. that would have been nice.

OVER ALL
one of the best sw's out there. i was suffering "spaghetti fatigue" for a while but this film cured me of it with its differences that sets it apart from the rest of the genre. well worth having in youre spaghetti western collection.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 02:14:22 PM by HEX » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 04:08:50 PM »

Its title sequence is a bit washed out but the rest of the film is a pretty good transfer, didn't notice any obvious scratches, or print damage, and the sound was good.

The only two negatives that jump out upon furter reflection is the first gunbattle has a bit of a swashbuckeler feel to it where the Phillip Vermeer character uses a two wheel cart & a falling body with him standing on the wagon tree that when the body hits catapults him over a wall, a bit of a stretch. Also Eli mows down a religious sect with what looks like a WWII machine gun. I'll go into more detail with a full review later.

I'll be watching Beyond the Law tonight.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
HEX
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 04:20:42 PM »

i am watching BEYOND THE LAW as we speak.

i shall review it as soon as it is finished.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 04:26:23 PM by HEX » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:50:13 PM »

Hex, why aren't you posting this in the Other Films area? In fact, Cigar Joe just started a thread there on this very title?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
HEX
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 09:11:09 PM »

Hex, why aren't you posting this in the Other Films area? In fact, Cigar Joe just started a thread there on this very title?

sorry, this was posted last night after i found out JOE had posted his own review. i cant move it now. we will have to get a moderator to move. but i think it is a little un important.

any for BEYOND THE LAW. i was very surprised at how much i enjoyed it. i own the really crappy vhs version(where u cannot see a thing) and i absolutley hated it when i saw it. it is funny how a nice pristine copy of it can change my mind. and this is very pristine indeed. there is not a scratch on it. it is better presented then the GRAND DUEL(found on the other side of the disc).
while i dont think it is great i do believe it is worth a buy.
it suffers from lack of action, in fact there is absolutly no action at all until the very end of the film(with the exception of a stagcoach chase) but that is part of what makes the film good. it is a character piece, not a shoot em up. VAN CLEEF is nice to see doing an emotionally charged character though there are some cringe worthy moments in his acting in a few points in the film.

i liked it very much and it will be getting a higher ranking on my SPAG collection. the only thing that bothered me with the presentation was that out of no where it switches to itailian with subtitles(apparently a deleted scene) for a pretty long scene. now normally i would not care but it comes without warning. there was no disclaimer in the begining saying that this would happen unlike the ANCHOR BAY and BLUE UNDERGROUND releases.

another thing had a problem with was that i found two words mispelled on the subtitles(one of them was BROTHER. they spelled it BORTHER Grin) while this is a minor gripe it was funny to see because i have never seen that on a dvd before. how careless. and only for what? two scenes? u could not double check on it?

any way as a whole the dvd of  LEE VAN CLEEF double pack is a welcomed addition to youre sw collection. with THE GRAND DUEL being the better of the two films.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 09:13:38 PM by HEX » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:48:56 AM »

Hex,i also like Grand Duel a lot.It's the last SW performance in which LVC looked really cool and his best SW of the seventies.
Beyond the Law is only ok and is probably LVC's worst SW of the sixties!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 01:37:36 AM by banjo » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 05:18:17 AM »

Leone Admirer,if i were you i'd wait for ITV4(assuming you have access to cable or satelite) to show The Grand Duel as part of their SW seaon.Eveything shown so far has been a decent print and in widescreen.As regards Beyond The Law-this is nowhere near as good a film as the Grand Duel!

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 06:53:51 AM »

Thanks for the advice banjo. I'll wait till they show it.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 07:05:39 AM »

Just to check, are the Wild East releases of these films anamorphic?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »

Thats OK Leone Admirer,according to Alex Cox's diary My Name is Nobody and Bullet for the General are also due to be shown but i'm sure you have these already.
But there are another 4 (out of a total of 9) that we don't know about still,unless Marco has found out any more?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »

But there are another 4 (out of a total of 9) that we don't know about still,unless Marco has found out any more?

No, I haven't managed to find out..... yet!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
HEX
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 04:15:10 PM »

Just to check, are the Wild East releases of these films anamorphic?

no they are not.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 09:22:11 PM »

The Grand Duel (1972 ) dir. Giancarlo Santi with ,Lee Van Cleef, Alberto Dentice as Phillip Wermeer the wanted man with $3000 on his head ( a role better suited to Tomas Milian) , Horst Frank as patriarch Saxon, Marc Mazza as the homosexual Saxon brother Eli (a real flamer in this flick, dressed in white, fedora hat, silk scarf that uses to shield violence scenes  from his eyes (he also twitters around  the set a bit) , and KLaus Grunberg as the Sherriff Adam Saxon. The film also has a familar face from GBU  Antonio Casale (Jackson/Bill Carson) as the bounty hunter named Hole.

Of the two films on this Wild East DVD this one has that familiar Spaghetti Western cachet attached to it. Lee Van Cleef provides all of the picaresque iconic qualifications the film could want but it still feels somewhat tired, as if they went to the well once too often. It seems as if Lee Van Cleef and is there to lend legitimacy to the other players who don’t quite measure up to enter that western valhala that Van Cleef, Eastwood, Nero, Wallach, Milian, Bronson, Fonda, loom large in. This film tries hard to elevate the rest of the cast of eccentric charaters( which seems to have a high proportion of German actors) but it just doesn’t quite achieve that goal. It may have helped to have a few more big name American actors and more of the familiar SW regulars and extras that we are all familiar with.

There is a great little vignette of a checker game between two minor characters, played with shot glasses full of liquor that was pretty cool and more of this type of stuff would have been great, but the director seems more of a good journeyman type of director somebody that can get the job done rather than an artistic director with some personal style. You had this sort of cat & mouse going on between Van Cleef and, but it had a slightly forced feel to it that made it not that believable. There are a lot of the right elements in the film but for some reason or other they just don’t fit together right. Or perhaps its just the manifistaion on the screen of how tired the genre was becoming. Its like a SW that’s a bit off. What really holds the whole film together is the haunting score by Bacalov which is very good.

The actual town sets weren’t too bad and gave a bit of a different flavor to the film than what you usually expect in a SW. You didn’t get a lot of scenic background vista shots it almost looks as if a lot of the film was shot in a big gravel pit so you get a lot of down camera angles, I’m suspecting this film was shot mostly if not all in Italy. Even the "Grand Duel" in the corral at the end had more of an Italian than Spanish look to the countryside.

The story is very Spaghetti-esque, again a bit campy with a bit of shawsbuckeler action thrown in, bad guy Eli Saxon  is portrayed as a decadent flaming homosexual who actually jumps up on his tippy toes when he shoots an old man who's on his knees in front of him. Then when a gunbattle breaks out uses his scarf to daintilly shield his eyes. You have to chuckle at this film. There is a wierd sequence where a religious sect after one of its members is gunned down takes off what seems to be their wooden clogs and as a group slaps them together in unison at the Patriarch Saxson. This film is a must for Van Cleef fans, he does his familiar "Old Man-Colonel Mortimer" shtick once again and probably for the final time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM