Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:11:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Al di là della legge aka Beyond the Law (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al di là della legge aka Beyond the Law (1968)  (Read 11907 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 05:55:36 AM »

I got my copy of the Lee Van Cleef double feature this morning, I look forward to watching them.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 02:29:22 PM »

The movie, well, it has a good start and a beardless Bud has a certain effect (though  one understands why this is his only feature like that). But then I think it is stretched and with much that is put there without development (LVC romancing, figure that!)  or twists to make it palatable. I said elsewhere I can't stand Gemma. But compared to Sabato he's Gary Cooper. What he was doing there at all is beyond me. 

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 08:11:29 AM »

I have posted my opinions of this movie and The Grand Duel here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2405.120 (I have also included a link to your review if thats ok for you Joe)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 09:32:27 PM »

fine with me LA

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 01:23:06 PM »

It has well done though overly long fleeing wagon-gunfight chase scene and some neat stagecoach robbery sequences which are actually "the" major action pieces of the film, which if that's not your cup of tea you'll feel a bit of a let down it does have shootouts but they are not very memorable.

well thats a bit unfair. The last gunfight in the film is especially memorable and well done. It doesnt have the flair or inventiveness of the last gunfight in "Massacre Time" which I think the style of that would have suited this film well but it was still enjoyable and pretty long. Gordon and his over-sized cape dont bother me in the slightest, it was nice to see an old style villan(as you put it Joe) in a spag. And he was very menacing at the hostage situation inside the church.

Stander brings nothing new to his character as the creepy and slightly perverted old guy. But He is still fun to watch and he even adds comical relief to the last gunfight.

I thought Sabato would be annoying here but he comes off fine. The character fits him anyway.

Van Cleef has an impressive role here. He is not playing the typical bad ass in which he is always type-casted in. He does a good job with the wishy washy Cudlip although he tends to over act when angry.

A nice entry to the genre and worth a spot in your sw collection. Just keep away from the pan and scan R1 copy floating around bargain bins and department stores. Get yourself the Wild East version. you'll be glad ya did.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 09:44:58 PM »

A nice entry to the genre and worth a spot in your sw collection. Just keep away from the pan and scan R1 copy floating around bargain bins and department stores. Get yourself the Wild East version. you'll be glad ya did.

Only if your tastes run to campy westerns, dracula capes look  pretty ridiculous in a western. Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 09:53:02 PM »

Only if your tastes run to campy westerns, dracula capes look  pretty ridiculous in a western. Cool

all spaghetti westerns are pretty campy.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:54:41 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 10:05:39 PM »

Not my top ten, they are better or as good as American Westerns.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 10:09:08 PM »

Not my top ten, they are better or as good as American Westerns.

My top ten is probably the same as your own Joe. Leone had moments of camp in his films and to a greater extent Corbucci as well.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 10:26:37 PM »

Maybe our definitions of camp-campy are not the same, Leone wasn't campy IMO he was being cooly humorous.

campy - describes an activity, or someone's behaviour or appearance, that is amusing because it is obviously intended to be strange or shocking.

camp (STYLE)   adjective INFORMAL
1 (of a man) behaving and dressing in a way that some people think is typical of a homosexual:
What's the name of that amazingly camp actor with the high voice and a funny walk?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 10:28:29 PM »

Maybe our definitions of camp-campy are not the same, Leone wasn't campy IMO he was being cooly humorous.

campy - describes an activity, or someone's behaviour or appearance, that is amusing because it is obviously intended to be strange or shocking.

camp (STYLE)   adjective INFORMAL
1 (of a man) behaving and dressing in a way that some people think is typical of a homosexual:
What's the name of that amazingly camp actor with the high voice and a funny walk?

why does Gordon come off as a homosexual in that halloween costume?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 10:32:39 PM »

he looks a bit campy, you could say yes I suppose.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 10:39:20 PM »

Thanks for clearing up "campy" for me. Always thought this meant "Cheesy". I knew it applied to John Water's(the king of camp or what not) but I never put two and two together I suppose.

Personally I dont think Gordon comes off as gay. I just think he is a bit of a nutter.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »

To say a film or a character within a film is campy does mean there is a cheese quality inherent in the film whether it be intentional or otherwise. To say THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW is campy would be correct but in the context that it is intentionally campy but to say something like say THE SWARM from 1978(one of the most gut busting unintentionally comedic films ever made)or EMPIRE OF THE ANTS is campy would also be correct but in the context of unintentional campiness. THE POWER OF CHEESE.........

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 12:08:02 AM »

Mitchells cape never brought images of Dracula to my mind although it did remind me of Zorro.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM