Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:56:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Al di lā della legge aka Beyond the Law (1968)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al di lā della legge aka Beyond the Law (1968)  (Read 11900 times)
spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »

I've got the brentwood copy of this one also. I liked it quite a bit and would love to see it restored.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »

Thats the key to these films, finding an uncut widescreen restoration DVD, crapy transfers & cuts can really destroy these films.

Thanks for the heads up derringdo. How about the sets and set pieces anything stand out in this?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:25:51 AM »

Check Shobary's:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/rs901536/shobary/dvd.htm

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 07:01:44 AM »

Yea you are right, I remember seeing the comparison shots too, I thought this was on Shobary's site, but must have been somewheres else.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »

I think you are right, too bad that site isn't set up like this one, a lot of old threads just fall off the board.

That French screen cap looked great. 

I have an Italian add for it that I'll post as soon as I scan it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:32:03 PM »

Your description of Van Cleef's character reminds me of the character he played in El Condor.

anyway here is the Italian add:

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »

I just rented an older video version of this, to see if I was correct about the Brentwood dvd being cut, and I was.

Much worse than I thought, too-I was just expecting a few snips here and there, but some fairly major character scenes are on the VHS version and not the dvd.

That's the problem with a lot of these films you don't know for sure which version you are seeing and you got to wonder sometimes when somebody writes a glowing review of something you might have thought of as crap "what was he on or smokin'" when he was watching/reviewing it, lol.

That's where our friends on the SW in America board come in handy, since they seem to have seen and or own most versions of these films. And the added plus is that they are willing to share info on the best version to get.

derringdo has anyone offered any more info on that widescreen French version DVD?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 05:21:59 AM »

thanks derringdo, it would be nice to see this widecreen and in english a possible project for FrancoCleef?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 10:06:24 PM »

This is on the recent Wild East Double sided DVD along with The Grand Duel

Beyond the Law (1968) dir. Giorgio Stegani, a decent cast in an average film. Lee Van Cleef as Cudlip, Antonio Sabato as Novak, Gordon Mitchel as the dopey looking caped cusader bad guy Burton, Bud Spencer as Cooper and Lionel Stander as Preacher.

This film is an average film that plays more like an American Western the only problem is an American Western has a lot of American sounding dialogue, this film is hampered by depending on a lot of dialogue that doesn't quite sound right. 

This film is actually a particular sort of sub-genre of the western. Its not the "showdown in the street" or "gunslinger" type film but a "chase" type actioner. Its one of the old staples of AW's but usually it was a band of Indians chasing a wagon train, or an outlaw gang chasing a stagecoach.  It has well done though overly long fleeing wagon-gunfight chase scene and some neat stagecoach robbery sequences which are actually "the" major action pieces of the film, which if that's not your cup of tea you'll feel a bit of a let down it does have shootouts but they are not very memorable.

Gordon Mitchel as Burton the bad guy looks absolutely ridiculous with his black cape rather than actually act as a villian the director resorts to this cheesy device just in case we the audience don't get it. Its as ridiculous looking as the old time villians in the silent films where the tall black top hat and the handelbar moustaches signified the villian.

Lionel Stander was ok, I was hoping for a more memorable character but hes not as good as he was in his small part in OUTITW. Bud Spencer doesn't do anything at all and basically just fades into the background, and Antonio Sabato kind of falls into the typical green, wet behind the ears but a fast learner, character part that was already played by John Pillip Law, and Gemma. 

Van Cleef plays a part similar to his Jaroo part in El Condor a petty theif con man role and its good to see him doing a different type charater.

I think Van Cleef should have played another good badass Angel Eyes villian in at least one other good SW.

The soundtrack is forgetable on this flick.

The DVD doese have some extras, a trailer and some stills for The Grand Duel  side and also some for this flick.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 01:57:44 AM »

Although i've only got a crappy pan & scan print copy of Beyond the Law,i pretty much agree with Cigar Joe although apart from LVC i thought Gordon Mitchells villain was the best character.The main problem with this movie is that it can't decide whether it is a slapstick comedy or a gritty action western.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 05:18:12 PM »

Don't get me wrong the disc is worth it for Van Cleef fans.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 09:28:19 PM »

Actually I did enjoy Van Cleef's performance, its just the whole film was average nothing special with a bit of dopey dialog. I'd like to see his Jaroo from El Condor again though for a comparison now, I'm basing what I said on that film from my impression first seeing it 35 years ago. But what stuck in my mind was this fight between Jim Brown & the Indians that was pretty ridiculous all the natives looked like midgets with Brown towering over them.

Christopher
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 03:29:11 PM »

I finally got around to watching Beyond the Law today. I have the crappy quality version with this one and Death Rides a Horse on the same disc. But I have to say, it was $2.50 well spent. Cheesy I enjoyed Beyond the Law as well, and I'm ready to watch Death Rides a Horse again.

I liked Gordon Mitchell as the villain. He is a creepy looking guy. But it was funny the first time he shows up in the movie. He's sitting up so straight on his horse and I wasn't sure if his eyes were open or not (maybe due to the picture quality), so I wasn't sure if he was alive or not.

And now I recognize derringdo's avatar.

HEX
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 05:54:48 PM »

I finally got around to watching Beyond the Law today. I have the crappy quality version with this one and Death Rides a Horse on the same disc. But I have to say, it was $2.50 well spent. Cheesy I enjoyed Beyond the Law as well, and I'm ready to watch Death Rides a Horse again.

I liked Gordon Mitchell as the villain. He is a creepy looking guy. But it was funny the first time he shows up in the movie. He's sitting up so straight on his horse and I wasn't sure if his eyes were open or not (maybe due to the picture quality), so I wasn't sure if he was alive or not.

And now I recognize derringdo's avatar.

yeah that is the dvd i have. real bad quality. i need to get that DEATH RIDES A HORSE dvd from europe as soon as i can. and yeah i recognized DERRINGDO'S avatar after i say the pristine quality version of LAW. its funny to think that VAN CLEEF is staring right into....ummmm....well never mind.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 04:35:41 AM »

Gordon Mitchell always makes me laugh in this movie: I think he's channeling Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West.  And I think the cape's eating him alive, frankly, it's kind of comical how small he looks in it (he was a 6'4" ex-body builder, but you get almost no sense of him as a big man from this movie.

I saw him once here in Rome, late '70's or early '80's. I was on a side of the street, he on the other, but wasn't stricken by his height or general bigness. I don't think he was that bigger or taller than me. Maybe he was 6'2', not taller.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM