Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:31:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Battle of Algiers aka La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Battle of Algiers aka La battaglia di Algeri (1966)  (Read 19298 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »

Tell us what you learned about censure in America, John.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 02:25:42 AM »

I learned that American producers and distributers made an "pact" to say what could be show or not. It's was the Hays' "code". In fact, they made an auto-censure to be not censured by the government. I don't remind the name of this pact. I believe it's the NPDA, but I'm not sure. So we spaeak about that, and about all the foreigners that American studio made come in USA to have news sorts of movies... I saw a extract from "Le vent" ("The wind"?), an old western from Sjöbörg (or a name like that  Undecided); it was pretty cool. Some times, I like very much my cinema studies!!!  Grin

« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 02:26:24 AM by john baldwin » Logged

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 05:09:53 AM »

Ok yea I remember the Hays Code I thought maybe it was something else that you were writting about, like the Motion Picture Rating system.

Pre Hays Code films were getting to the point where they were agitating the latent "puritains " . Check out some of Barbra Stanwick's pre Hay's films if you can find any to see what I mean.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 11:03:01 AM »

Saw this in a small cine club off the FALL'S ROAD back in the 80's.....during the hunger strikes. Scarey!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 04:19:56 PM »

The freedom of expression in France is something that makes me laugh. In France, in theory you have the right to express your opinion. BUT the truth is that you can say anything you like except what is forbidden Grin. The last example is the RAPPERS being arrested or threatened to be arrested when their songs are against the police...Not to mention that Sarko, the ex-minister of interior put guys in jail just because they had insulted him. Not to mention you're willing to go in jail if you insult a doctor or a teacher since they enacted this new law. Those who says the freedom of expression exists in this country are liers.
 And that's not true that France isn't doing a colonial war in Ivorian Coast. France doesn't do anything else there than colonialism. And they use pretext that they fight against  the so called "fascism" of Bagbo. But France doesn't seem to think this countries or  the others have grown up enough to live by themselves, they treat them like children whereas they are supposed to be independant since the sixties. Chirac gives order to Bagbo as if he was his minister.  

« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 04:23:34 PM by Dlanor » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 06:45:42 AM »

Dlanor, things ain't exactly free here either, with all the corporate mergers and domination of the traditional media it hard to get any idea, that the powers that be disagree with, out to the mainstream. Our only true free to a certain extent mode of expression is this very web we are now communicating on.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 10:15:50 AM »

Just watched "Battle of Algier": marvelous, and horrible. How men can make thing like that. It's with evenments like that I've the shame to be French!!! Cry

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »

Just watched "Battle of Algier": marvelous, and horrible. How men can make thing like that. It's with evenments like that I've the shame to be French!!! Cry

Nothing to be ashamed of Monsieur Baldwin, simply an imperial power flexing their muscles.  There are some excellent supplements on the DVD, they go into a lot of the background.  France kept the Algerians in line, using force, for 150 years -  President Bush should set aside grievances and ask for some advice, he could sure use it in Iraq.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 12:17:21 PM »

A True Important Classic Film! History repeats itself!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 05:43:55 AM »

I believe that the US government had a screening of this film for DOD officials in late 2003.  Don't know how true that is, but it's a rumor that's gone around a lot.

I've not seen this movie, but it's definitely on my "to-see" list.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 06:17:16 AM »

It's true, Groggy.
If you get the Criterion Collection DVD. One of the extras is a 20min discussion The Battle Of Algiers: Case Study. It does mention that the film is commonly used as text book example by both counter (not what to do) and terrorist organisations (what to do).
The talk is between Richard A. Clarke (former counter terrorist co-ordinator), Micheal A. Sheehan (State terrorist cordinator) and Chris E Isham of ABC News.

Lots of talk of  failure in finding the 'hearts and minds' and the films revelance to the present situation in Iraq.

P.S. Like the Danny Aiello avatar.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 07:15:24 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 07:14:33 AM »

Thanks for the info and the complement.  I would've done a smaller avatar but this was the only pic of him from OUATIA I could find.  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »

I am tempted by Criterion's package, but I don't have the money for it right now. Looks like an extraordinary release.

The Criterion release in an excellent release of a fantastic movie. That whole 3rd disc and booklet dedicated to the real events of Algiers and the effect the film has had on current events was fascinating, worth buying definatly.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Jon0
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »

Just finished it....has a musical score by your guy's main man, Ennio Morricone.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 10:17:14 PM »

Just finished it....has a musical score by your guy's main man, Ennio Morricone.

And what did you think of the movie?

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM