Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 11:02:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Battle of Algiers aka La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Battle of Algiers aka La battaglia di Algeri (1966)  (Read 19587 times)
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2006, 09:25:37 PM »

Why bother when you can watch the news every night.

Exactly.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »

This is an awesome and deeply disturbing film. The realism and the relevance to today (in broad terms, if not specifics) is truly astonishing. Jean Martin is brilliant as Colonel Mathieu as well. One of the greatest movies ever made.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »

It's a good movie, and I certainly agree about Jean Martin. It depends somewhat on the audience understanding Algerian history to an extent. The film clearly shows the French prevailing at the end of the movie, and no reason why, having won tactically, they lost strategically. I guess that's okay (a similar experience occurs when watching A Bridge Too Far, where you see the Allies losing in the short term while you understand they prevail ultimately). But I wonder about the utility of films that depend on so much external information to provide meaning. Aren't such works incomplete?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 09:42:20 AM »

I watched this recently. Very, very good movie - one of the most well-directed movies I've ever seen. It felt so real.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

I watched this recently. Very, very good movie - one of the most well-directed movies I've ever seen. It felt so real.
Afro

I recommend Bloody Sunday (2002) to everyone who likes this movie Cool http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280491/

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »

It's a good movie, and I certainly agree about Jean Martin. It depends somewhat on the audience understanding Algerian history to an extent. The film clearly shows the French prevailing at the end of the movie, and no reason why, having won tactically, they lost strategically. I guess that's okay (a similar experience occurs when watching A Bridge Too Far, where you see the Allies losing in the short term while you understand they prevail ultimately). But I wonder about the utility of films that depend on so much external information to provide meaning. Aren't such works incomplete?

I knew next to nothing about the Algerian War for Independence before watching this, only what I culled from Day of the Jackal and various articles comparing it to the Iraq War. I think the ending makes it clear what's wrong - the French fail because the Algerians won't put up with their rule, and they have no moral ground to stand on - just imperialism and nationalism.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »

Excellent movie, maybe not quite as good as those who champion it and much better than the naysayers will ever admit. Z is the best political film that I have seen from the decade. I mean, is there a GBU poster featured in Algiers, I think not.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »

Z is good, but the best political film of the decade is Alain Resnais's La Guerre est finie (1966). Both star Yves Montand. Coincidence?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

Z is good, but the best political film of the decade is Alain Resnais's La Guerre est finie (1966). Both star Yves Montand. Coincidence?

I have it on my online rental list thingy, I'll bump it up and post my thoughts later this week. thanks.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »

Can 1970 be considered from that decade? If so, I'm changing my vote to Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto (1970).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »

Can 1970 be considered from that decade? If so, I'm changing my vote to Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto (1970).

I'd say that was the '70s and not the '60s Jenkins.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

Those terms were never used. Tuco Harmonica merely said "the decade" so I was writing for clarification. The "60s" is only one way to understand that expression. For example, if we are speaking of "the sixth decade" then the years included run 61-70. Or maybe TH was thinking of another 10 year span, or wasn't being all that precise to begin with and so wasn't worried about being overly pedantic. And anyway, a film released in 1970 was most likely produced in 1969.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »

Jenkins, you'd make a good lawyer, but that hardly justifies your repeated nitpicking. I'd assume you're familiar with the concept of context clues. Roll Eyes

Was it the best film made in the decade of 1965-1974? Hmm? That's possible too.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2008, 05:48:47 PM »

The true 60s spanned from JFK's assassination to Nixon's resignation or so they say. Who are they? I don't know. I do agree that the classification of films in decades is a bit silly, but I am simply operating within the framework of filmgeekdom. What can we really do? Don't get me wrong, I am a rebel but the decade institution seems decent enough to me.

Joking aside, eras or movements (whether that be film, societal, anything) are more important than the actual decade, which DJ pointed out are wrong by a year anyways. My head just exploded.

Never has semantics been so entertaining. (I truly mean that, you guys have a gift)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »

The true 60s spanned from JFK's assassination to Nixon's resignation or so they say. Who are they?
David Shields for one. There's a story in A Handbook for Drowning that begins with (more or less) that very definition of the 60s.

Keeping things more film oriented, I define the 60s as beginning with Dr. No and ending before Jaws.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM