Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 01:23:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Battle of Algiers aka La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Battle of Algiers aka La battaglia di Algeri (1966)  (Read 19464 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 07:42:32 AM »

I watched The War Is Over. I enjoyed it since I can identify with the Diego character's disillusionment with politics. With that said, I felt the movie lost focus around 40 minutes, it just seemed to sputter around and then regain focus. Then again, I'm not sure if that's a safe thing to say after only one viewing since the movie has quite a lot to offer. I would rank this behind Algiers and Z at the moment. I just don't know if the politial film dealing with all the bull shit surrounding politics was executed as well as it could have. Interesting but flawed.

On a side note, I was so impressed with Resnais' direction that I am going to track down many of his movies in the very near future, starting with Hiroshima, My Love.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »

Hiroshima is still interesting after all these years, as are his other early features, Marienbad and Muriel. His hard-to-see English language film, Providence, is also worth viewing. Unhappily, Resnais lost what was distinctive about his approach in the 80s, and he's been doing lots of dull adaptations of stage plays ever since.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »

Hiroshima is still interesting after all these years, as are his other early features, Marienbad and Muriel. His hard-to-see English language film, Providence, is also worth viewing. Unhappily, Resnais lost what was distinctive about his approach in the 80s, and he's been doing lots of dull adaptations of stage plays ever since.

I am very curious to know the difference between the director who loses their hunger and the director who doesn't. What keeps some people hungrier than a stray dog and others satisfied? Is it a long process of carelessness in which they lose their gift or what? More of a hypothetical question, but I find this subject fascinating.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »

On the off-chance anyone is interested, I just found out on IMDB that Jean Martin (Colonel Matthieu, also the bad guy in My Name is Nobody) passed away this past February.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »

The Battle of Algiers will be playing on TCM Tuesday Feb. 4, 2014, at 1:45 PM EST
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=PST&sdate=2014-02-04

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:49:17 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM