Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:58:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Hurt Locker (2009)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hurt Locker (2009)  (Read 8581 times)
Whalestoe
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/summit/thehurtlocker/

Been waiting for an official trailer for awhile. Still have know idea when this is coming out, but I'm really interested in seeing it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »

If it was left undistributed all this time there must be a reason. I wouldn't touch it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »

Isn't it just Danger: UXB updated?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Whalestoe
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »

If it was left undistributed all this time there must be a reason. I wouldn't touch it.

That logic would mean no one on this board should have watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: one of the best movies of 2008.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »

That logic would mean no one on this board should have watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »

I wasn't gonna bother with this, but this review at Big Hollywood has caused me to change my mind. Hey, the guy was right about Crank 2.

Review: ‘The Hurt Locker’

Posted By Mike Long On July 15, 2009 @ 11:07 am

The Hurt Locker is not about Iraq, why we went there, what we did when we got there, or whether we should have gone in the first place. It is not about American foreign policy or domestic disagreement over that policy; it’s not even about soldiers or their qualities or character …  it’s not about politics at all.

The Hurt Locker is about an adrenaline junkie who gets off defusing bombs.

Sgt. Will James is very good at this narrow work. He is occasionally a fool who takes unnecessary chances. Far more often he is an expert who enjoys that his wisely bold tactics occasionally make him appear a fool—because a fool’s luck has nothing to do with his success. Early in the picture and after much prodding, Sgt. James admits to a superior officer that he has defused “873 bombs, counting today.”

Nobody’s luck is that good.

This is a telling scene for another reason: He’s happy for the recognition, but painfully shy about it, too. He fairly leaps from the truck to reply to the officer—but it’s because his inquisitor is an officer, not because the question will give him a moment of glory. The officer, played by the always interesting David Morse, has to pry the information out of him and turn it into a boast on Sgt. James’ behalf. Morse’s officer is so unabashedly enthusiastic with his praise that we’re not sure—and apparently neither is Sgt. James—if it is genuine, or a set-up to a dressing-down for the apparently insane risks he’s just taken.

The little-known (for now), Jeremy Renner plays Sgt. James, and he plays him like a guy who would enjoy solving a Rubik’s Cube while sitting on a high-wire over a pit of rabid alligators. Renner’s James is incapable of simply existing. Every moment must be a deadline or the run-up to some test. In his off-hours he plays punch-out with another soldier, and not just for the sake of taking a punch. The two are working through a grudge right out in the open. He creates a brief mission for himself that can have no benefits in its outcome aside from having survived on the quality of its execution. He looks for reasons to get next to live bombs, once on the pretext of rescuing a pair of entirely disposable gloves. Yet even this has more danger attached to it than anyone first thinks, but Sgt. James knows (at least, I think he does), and gets off on the errand all the more because of it.

The Hurt Locker is also a good-looking picture. For instance, the shots of explosions are carried out much more thoughtfully than with the standard “cover it with cameras” action-picture approach. Director Kathryn Bigelow (whose last great pictures were 20 years ago—Blue Steel and Point Break) shoots the gravelly ground rising in slow motion; she gets the shuddering and the debris exactly right (again, as someone like me who hasn’t seen this stuff for real will imagine they should look)—there is never an obvious, go-for-broke FX shot for its own sake here. At times our view of the explosions is mostly one-off detail, and rather than distracting us from the moment, it enhances how we perceive it. That is the purpose of good direction and good camera work: not to draw attention to itself, but to enhance the story.

Which is a little ironic, because The Hurt Locker is not a story at all, but a character study. It is rare that a character study is carried out with so much expert attention to making a truly engaging and entertaining picture. The Hurt Locker is an apolitical and very entertaining movie about a very interesting man.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:00:16 PM »

Whalestone,

its playing in Hillcrest

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/SanDiego/SanDiego_Frameset.htm

Whalestoe
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »

I've been trying to get my idiot friends to come see it with me. They all deserve to die.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »

I've been trying to get my idiot friends to come see it with me. They all deserve to die.

Because you didn't offer them free popcorn.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Whalestoe
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »

Because you didn't offer them free popcorn.

My amazingly good company should be enough. Azn

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxSDZc8etg

Looks pretty okay but I don't need to rush to see it.
Whalestoe: Why can't you go alone to the theatre?
I enjoy movies much better when I watch them alone.
At least that's me.

P.S. this isn't one of those HD films with no lighting is it?

They dressed up Public Enemies pretty well in the trailer but the actual feature looked like vomit.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 12:38:53 PM »

Hope-nosis is back!!!! Thanks, man!

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

Watched it and, well, I don't really have anything smart to say. It is a bit unusual (no plot, technicalities, etc.) but for some reason it didn't touch me at all. There are two possible reasons for that: a) all the big epic war stories have already been told, so even with the best intentions taken in consideration this feels rehashed, and b) I'm honestly tired of war movies, and more so of war in general. I just don't feel like having the time and will to sit down and spend a couple of hours on someone's realistic view of the dramas of war anymore, however realistic it may be, every couple of years or so. I'm not searching for enlightenment (I know war is Hell), especially when the entertainment value of the movie is zero

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:29:51 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »

Hope-nosis is back!!!! Thanks, man!

Hope-nosis has never left.
You've been hope-notized into believing it has!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »

They dressed up Public Enemies pretty well in the trailer but the actual feature looked like vomit.

The trailer of Public Enemies was pretty bad too. I don't know what you're on about.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM