Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:23:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bandolero! (1968)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bandolero! (1968)  (Read 9368 times)
Tuco the ugly
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:10:49 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062708/

There are "Westerns" and "Westerns". Every now and then comes a NEW kind of Western. This is "BANDOLERO!"

Well, to tell you the truth it is far from a new kind of western, and it is far from being entertaining. Actually, it seems far from being anything. Starts OK, but then thanks to its 'character development' becomes a cliche and goes nowhere. The characters are so unoriginal it literally hurts. That ''new kind of western'' must be some kind of joke. James Stewart was too old for his ''One day I decided I wanna be a bank robber'' role (60), and so was ''I want me a nice wife and a cottage near a stream'' Dean (50). George Kennedy, who I otherwise like, looked like a jolterhead. He and women, whether they like him or not, just don't go along.

3.25 / 10

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:17:12 AM by Dust Devil » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:09:08 AM »

Yes, another average Andy McLaglen western.

But this lousy film made more money in the US than The Wild Bunch or the first 2 Dollar films.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 06:01:04 AM »

It definietly showed the Spaghetti Western influence, some picaresque touches that are obvious.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »

Yes, another average Andy McLaglen western.

I wouldn't call it average, it does not reach that level. Those other he made with John Wayne as the leading man (McLintock, Cahill, Chisum) are fairly average westerns but still way better than this one.

But this lousy film made more money in the US than The Wild Bunch or the first 2 Dollar films.

Really? Didn't know that.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »

It definietly showed the Spaghetti Western influence, some picaresque touches that are obvious.

So you agree with the ''new kind of western'' part? Cheesy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »

I pretty much agree. Lame, formulaic and heavily derivative of other films. The shootout at the end is pretty cool though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

Uh, I must admit I didn't much care for it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:22:32 AM »

Just feel a need to throw this out there...

Andy McLaglen is the definition of a hack. Just give his filmography a quick perusal and I doubt you'll disagree. Most of his movies were B-Movie star vehicles with plots blatantly borrowed from or "inspired by" other, more popular and better films. He must have had really good connections to get the actors he worked with (the Duke, Richard Burton, Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, and Stewart, Martin, Welch and Kennedy here).

He started out his career mimicking Ford, by the end of it he'd moved onto aping Peckinpah and Siegel (even directing a sequel to Cross of Iron if memory serves). He made a few passable films but on the whole he was a pretty crap director with no discernable style or ability other than being able to aim a camera at the actors.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:25:11 AM by Groggy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:21 AM »

Just feel a need to throw this out there...

Andy McLaglen is the definition of a hack. Just give his filmography a quick perusal and I doubt you'll disagree. Most of his movies were B-Movie star vehicles with plots blatantly borrowed from or "inspired by" other, more popular and better films. He must have had really good connections to get the actors he worked with (the Duke, Richard Burton, Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, and Stewart, Martin, Welch and Kennedy here).

He started out his career mimicking Ford, by the end of it he'd moved onto aping Peckinpah and Siegel (even directing a sequel to Cross of Iron if memory serves). He made a few passable films but on the whole he was a pretty crap director with no discernable style or ability other than being able to aim a camera at the actors.

True enough.

But I disagree with the above statement about SW influences. I think nearly none of the US westerns of the late 60s and 70 s was influenced by SWs.  Except for most of the Eastwood westerns of course (  but not Hang' em High).
The directors simply ignored the SWs, and even the Leone films weren't as successful  in the states as many people might think (but nonetheless highly profitable for UA).

Bandolero shows only the path the americans went anyway concerning things like cynicism, violence etc.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 01:54:19 AM »

I think Peckinpah was probably a bigger influence on American Westerns of that era than Leone, to be honest. There's a clear line, albeit not direct, from Vera Cruz to The Magnificent Seven to The Professionals to The Wild Bunch (not to mention Ford's later Westerns), and all the crap that followed afterwards seems more in the vein of those films than the Spaghettis. Peckinpah may have been influenced by Leone to an extent but I don't think to a huge degree, as his Westerns (at least up to The Ballad of Cable Hogue) seem more like very dark/violent John Ford movies; I think Leone and Corbucchi overstated the case saying otherwise.

Anyway, Leone and Co. didn't invent cynical, violent Westerns, nor did they claim to. They just did them with a new and arguably better style than most of their American counterparts.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:56:25 AM by Groggy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 06:12:22 AM »

But I disagree with the above statement about SW influences.

Oh I disagree with that. It definitely has a picaresque SW quality about it especially the whole jail break/bank robbery scenario and I'll add the score seems Spaghetti influenced also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »

He must have had really good connections to get the actors he worked with (the Duke, Richard Burton, Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, and Stewart, Martin, Welch and Kennedy here).

Yeah, I was thinking about that too.

+

Peck, Moore, Niven, Howard, Douglas, Mitchum, Wydmark, Elam, Leigh...

He started out his career mimicking Ford, by the end of it he'd moved onto aping Peckinpah and Siegel (even directing a sequel to Cross of Iron if memory serves).

And ''The Dirty Dozen'' and ''Bridge on the River Kwai''!

LOL! What a D-I-R-E-C-T-O-R!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:15:50 PM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:52 AM »

Mediocre western with some good actors (Dean Martin and James Stewart of course!).
Reminded me a lot of 100 rifles in tone/style and each film has Raquel Welch* as a sultry mexican girl.
Wonder if it was a two picture deal... both films were distributed by Fox and came out a year apart so my assumption could be correct.
Or perhaps that kind of stuff is already a known fact? I don't know.

The downer ending is unexpected but there isn't really anything that stands out here except, maybe , the brother relationship Stewart and Martin share.
Just another American western trying to emulate the Italian westerns that were being released at the time.

Raquel Welch gets the award of having one of the worst lines ever put to film...

"This is the first time I've been in my country since I've left".

She also says "Fuck your mother" in Spanish which was an eye opener as the F-bomb wouldn't become common place in American cinema for another couple of years, no matter what language it's in.

*Unfortunatley she doesn't show much of her body here which is a waste. How can you hire Welch to be in a movie and not ask her to show some skin? She isn't there for her acting abilities.

5/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:05:38 AM »

It never gets old.  Grin

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:13:36 AM »

Put that in a museum, it's art.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM