Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:35:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Greatest Western.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Western.  (Read 23763 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:35:27 AM »

A little discussion about whether or not OUTITW is or is not the greatest Western if you are interested.  Afro

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000030/thread/135807266

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »

"Once Upon a Time in the West is a piece of crap and Leone was just a fat Italian slob who ripped off others' work."

Funny how Leone as to face the exact same criticisms as Quentin Tarantino.
I thought people were done with this kinds of arguments against him, now that we've seen how every single movie which has been done between 1970 and nowadays uses what OUATITW and GBU brought to cinema.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »

"Once Upon a Time in the West is a piece of crap and Leone was just a fat Italian slob who ripped off others' work."

I've noticed that one too, really nasty.

However, it is interesting how many people (mostly from USA?) don't even bother to offer a shred of genuine opinion let alone a point when discarting Leone's movies as ''(stolen) crap'' in this kind of 'discussions'. They act with such a negative affect that almost goes on a personal level.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:58:40 PM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
manuel
Road Apple

They had a lot of weapons mister.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »

I'd say that honor goes to GBU. OUTITW is"great" but not a favorite of ine and although I love i's look, its get to be a bit much by the end. Besides, GBU has been voted the greatest western several times by several polls.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:55:55 PM »

However, it is interesting how many people (mostly from USA?) don't even bother to offer a shred of genuine opinion let alone a point when discarting Leone's movies as ''(stolen) crap'' in this kind of 'discussions'. They act with such a negative affect that almost goes on a personal level.

That was how my film professor in college reacted when I asked him about Leone films in 1974.  Of course, he hadn't himself actually seen any.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:46:58 AM »

Yosemite-Sam looking?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:35 AM »

Yeah, I know. Does it look like Leone?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »

A little chubby, and a beard & moustache, not particularly, but no other cartoon Western character comes that close I guess.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »

Chosen as part of the next group of 25 to be preserved by the Library of Congress: http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/library-congress-picks-25-films-preserve-including-thriller-12371?page=2

Disdained as "Spaghetti Westerns" when they first appeared in American movie theaters, the best of these films, such as "Once Upon a Time in the West," are now recognized as among the greatest achievements of the Western movie genre. Director Sergio Leone’s operatic visual homage to the American Western legend is a chilling tale of vengeance set against the backdrop of the coming of the railroad. Ennio Morricone’s magnificent score (especially the elegiac "Jill’s Theme") is likewise recognized for its brilliance.

Needless to say, this confirms, without possibility of dispute, that OUATITW is an American film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »

Needless to say, this confirms, without possibility of dispute, that OUATITW is an American film.

Yeah, sure.

Were it not that, in the reasons given for the inclusion in the list, mention is made of the fact that this movie was just another "spaghetti-western".

Disdained as "Spaghetti Westerns" when they first appeared in American movie theaters, the best of these films, such as "Once Upon a Time in the West," are now recognized as among the greatest achievements of the Western movie genre.

Wonder what that "spaghetti" is for.   Cool 

Or maybe were they meaning all the time (and therefore included) C'era una volta il West?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 08:07:59 AM »

The money came from Paramount, you can't discount the money.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 08:42:53 AM »

From the official press release:
Under the terms of the National Film Preservation Act, each year the Librarian of Congress names 25 films to the registry that are “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant to be preserved for all time. These films are not selected as the “best” American films of all time, but rather as works of enduring importance to American culture.

“Established by Congress in 1989, the National Film Registry spotlights the importance of protecting America’s matchless film heritage and cinematic creativity,” said Billington. “By preserving the nation’s films, we safeguard a significant element of our cultural patrimony and history."
http://www.loc.gov/film/NFR2009.pdf

In other words, only American films are considered for inclusion.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »

You could also add the style of the movie. But it's the "spaghetti" label I'm questioning. And it wasn't me who stuck it to the movie. The whole "reasoning" given by the buffoons payed for dishing this crap it's ridiculous. And it gives "ample possibilities for dispute".

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »

Yeah, sure.

Were it not that, in the reasons given for the inclusion in the list, mention is made of the fact that this movie was just another "spaghetti-western".

Disdained as "Spaghetti Westerns" when they first appeared in American movie theaters, the best of these films, such as "Once Upon a Time in the West," are now recognized as among the greatest achievements of the Western movie genre.

Wonder what that "spaghetti" is for.   Cool  

Or maybe were they meaning all the time (and therefore included) C'era una volta il West?

Yeh, that quote seems to imply that all Spaghetti Westerns are American because they are Westerns!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM