Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:09:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fistfull
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistfull  (Read 6898 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2002, 06:22:53 AM »

This movie I actually saw second, and a year after I stumbled into a theater with my cousin on a Saturday afternoon and watched "For A Few Dollars More", we were litteraly blown away, after beging brought up on hollywood fair,lol.

Fistfull ran in a double bill with FDM, on Times Square, no other westerns but Leones measure up any longer.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
High Plains
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 01:18:14 PM »

Just as a side thought last week, I wanted to show my girlfriend FFOD since (she's from Quebec) she had never seen it, not realizing that along with FAFDM and GBU they formed a trilogy.  What an eye opener!  All three are incredible works of art.  Thank God for Sergio Leone.  
I run a small rural theater on the high plains in southern Alberta and we will definitely run the trilogy during our next festival.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 03:35:58 PM »

Where in Alberta? We used to Live in Libby Montana and I fished the Elk River  in BC near Fernie and Crow's Nest Pass a lot, and my wife is from Wolf Point Montana, not to far south of the line, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 06:30:22 AM »

do you get high attencdances in small rural cinemas?  Not that i am the world authority on all things American, but i would have thought that in a small town in the rural areas of America the gun toting and killing would bring in more cutomers than the beautiful shots of the desert or even the stunning sound track

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 05:14:22 AM »

Hi Caius,
In small towns in Montana there is a relatively big turn out for films, take Libby in Montana (pop about 4000), its the county seat of a basically three town county that is roughly 100 miles by 80 miles, each town does have a small theater Libby's can seat maybe 100, Troy's (pop about 1000) can seat 60, and I never been to Eureak's theater, the towns population is maybe 2000. There are other hamlets strung out along the back country roads, Rexford, Sylvanite, Yaak, Happy's Inn, Pipe Creek, Upper Ford, Bull Lake, etc, that are clustered around either a saloon/bar/gas staion, a general store or a combination of all.
The new movie is the social event of the week especially for the kids and teenagers, adults can go to the bars to get entertained by the local characters.  Wink

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 01:52:48 PM »

slightly a different surrounding my old blighty.  London is anything else but spacious

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 09:41:02 PM »

I know where you are coming from.  I was born and raised in New York City and seeing Leone's films was what prompted me to head west and see it for real.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 09:45:31 PM by cigar joe » Logged

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 06:22:27 AM »

thats quite extrodianry that a movie can prompt a change in life style thats as drastic as yours.  DO you ever miss the hussle and bussle?  When you first moved across was it a kind of city slicker in the west situation?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 04:32:25 PM »

Well it wasn't as drastic as all that. I first went to school up in the Adirondacks which is a still very wild area of New York State, miles of forest with little towns, think "Last Of The Mohican's". That was probably more of a cultural shock, but as a kid the family used to take a lot of trips to the country. So I kind of eased into it, some buddies from there (Adirondacks) also went to the University in Missoula Montana (which for Montana was its cultural heart). We drove west in a three car caravan, camping by the roadside like gypsies, it took a liesurely 4-5 days with stops in the Black Hills and Yellowstone. If I really wanted to push it I could cross it in about 2.5 days by myself.  The last time (I'm back in NY for family reasons) my wife and I took turns driving and sleeping and we went from the Hudson Valley near Kingston to Dickenson, North Dakota in 24 hours. Then it was another 5 hours to Wolf Point Montana, where she had a family reunion, and then we drove another 600 miles to Libby Montana where we used to live (its a big state),  Wink

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 07:08:49 AM »

well mate if you tried to do all that travelling in England, a) you'd be looked at funny, b) you'd end up in the old colonies in New Dehli.  Just the extense of land in the USA is mind bogling.  I went travelling by myself throughout Europe in my School Holidays, using an inter rail pass, and the sheer freedom of the huge land masses was simply amazing.  Although it doesn't quite compare to Tuco's 80 mile desert walk

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 04:39:01 PM »

That 24 hour drive was averaging about 75 mph with just rest stops and gas.

And speaking of Tuco/Blondie desert walks there is a desert in southern New Mexico just east of the Rio Grande called "La Journado del Muerto" coincidence, maybe.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM