Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:26:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dances with Wolves (1990)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dances with Wolves (1990)  (Read 15405 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 05:30:10 AM »

Surely not one of my favourites, but in any case a good western.
It's obviously one of these films which critics and intellectuals are very keen to hate. Funny, DwW got mainly good reviews before it became a commercial success by a wide audience, who viewed it only in second instance as a western.

The shorter version is the better one, the longer one is only longer and imo mainly of interest for the die hard fans.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 06:00:10 AM »

I think one of the best Native American/White Man films I've seen so far is "Blackrobe" I believe the natives also speak in their native tongue in that film.
I like Blackrobe very much too. Well, it's a Bruce Beresford film, it should be good.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 06:51:26 AM »

I remember liking this film a great deal but I haven't seen it in ages.

I wasn't crazy about Black Robe, but technically that wasn't a Western.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »

I called it a Native American/Whiteman Film Grogs

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

It's obviously one of these films which critics and intellectuals are very keen to hate. Funny, DwW got mainly good reviews before it became a commercial success by a wide audience,...

I suspect part of the reaction by the intellectual (mostly east Coast) snobs was due to DWW winning the Oscar for best Picture.
The critic's darling Martin Scorcese was up that year for the odious GOODFELLAS, surely one the most repellent movies ever made.
After RAGING BULL lost also they went beserk (RB is a great film imho) and trashed DWW for 'stealing" the Oscar from Marty,

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »

Repellent?

No, Goodfellas is imo a great film, maybe not as great as Raging Bull, but it's one of those which are clearly superior to DwW (or Departed).

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »

Not a topic on this yet. I've just seen it and can understand why. 5-6\10

Give. Me. A. Break.

lol

couldn't have said it any better myself

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »

Repellent?

No, Goodfellas is imo a great film, maybe not as great as Raging Bull, but it's one of those which are clearly superior to DwW (or Departed).

alot of people love it Huh
to me it is just a third rate RAGING BULL - it even duplicated that great tracking shot.
to each his own.
I still believe critics harbor resentment over the Oscar issue which is really silly.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »

Just saw Dances With Wolves (1990) for the first time. The Director's Cut, all 3 hours 53 minutes, and wasn't bored for a moment.

9/10

I have to disagree with those here who made it seem like the Sioux are portrayed as angels: there is a lot about the barbaric nature of their customs (eg. dancing with scalps). I haven't seen the original theatrical version, so I don't know what was left in or out of that version.
When watching a Western, the topic of Whites vs. Indians totally bores me. I have zero interest in it. But somehow I was fascinated throughout this movie; perhaps, as some here have mentioned, it is really more of a drama than anything else.

While everyone is jumping on the issue of whether or not the Indians are portrayed as angels -- and again, they certainly are NOT, at least in the Director's Cut -- what bothered me more was the almost cartoonish portrayal of the Whites. I mean, yeah, I am sure that through all the Indian Wars, there were atrocities committed by both sides, but the Whites in this movie were portrayed in a similar cartoonish, one-sides, pure evil way, as the Indians of the old Westerns

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

I prefer the theatrical cut. The longer version makes the film only longer without adding anything justifying the additional time.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »

I prefer the theatrical cut. The longer version makes the film only longer without adding anything justifying the additional time.

Thanks, Stanton for your insight.  I also liked the film, was wondering about the longer version.  "Longer" isn't always better. 

Case in point: most of the cuts for GBU were unnecessary.  But some of the cave scene could've been cut, but parts of it were worthwhile.  I liked the part about potatoes being for poor people, thought it was dumb for the three guys to come down on ropes.  I can't pass judgement on the Scirocco scene, I guess it depends on the style in which it was done.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »

I prefer the theatrical version too. The extended cut becomes boring with the mystical scenes in the forest and other pointless scenes.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »

Thanks, Stanton for your insight.  I also liked the film, was wondering about the longer version.  "Longer" isn't always better. 

Case in point: most of the cuts for GBU were unnecessary.  But some of the cave scene could've been cut, but parts of it were worthwhile.  I liked the part about potatoes being for poor people, thought it was dumb for the three guys to come down on ropes.  I can't pass judgement on the Scirocco scene, I guess it depends on the style in which it was done.

the cave scene in GBU is absolutely pointless

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »

The cave scene has one point though.
It makes Tuco more negative. Only a real asshole sends his friends into their certain death.
Without the cave scene I had assumed that Tuco used just some anonymous hired guns as bait. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »

Just saw Dances With Wolves (1990) for the first time. The Director's Cut, all 3 hours 53 minutes, and wasn't bored for a moment.

9/10

I have to disagree with those here who made it seem like the Sioux are portrayed as angels: there is a lot about the barbaric nature of their customs (eg. dancing with scalps). I haven't seen the original theatrical version, so I don't know what was left in or out of that version.
When watching a Western, the topic of Whites vs. Indians totally bores me. I have zero interest in it. But somehow I was fascinated throughout this movie; perhaps, as some here have mentioned, it is really more of a drama than anything else.

While everyone is jumping on the issue of whether or not the Indians are portrayed as angels -- and again, they certainly are NOT, at least in the Director's Cut -- what bothered me more was the almost cartoonish portrayal of the Whites. I mean, yeah, I am sure that through all the Indian Wars, there were atrocities committed by both sides, but the Whites in this movie were portrayed in a similar cartoonish, one-sides, pure evil way, as the Indians of the old Westerns

It's a shame that the plight of the Native American bores you seeing that they were there long before the white colonialists .As always it was the priveledge  ol the vicors of war to by means of propaganda to dehumanise a race rightfully defending their lands  to ruthless invaders.I'm by no means an expert on the subject but my understanding is that the indigenous Americans were destroyed as a direct result of written and broken treaties, warfare, and of forced assimilation,a tactic readily employed by other nations throughout history and well into the following century.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM