Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:58:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Happy Birthday to me (1981)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday to me (1981)  (Read 2471 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »

Frightfully boring first hour in which prep school kids are brutally slaughtered by a black gloved killer.
Heavily influenced by Giallo (the killer wears the aforementioned gloves/wields a razor in one scene/ POV shots) but without style. I was greatly disappointed by this J. Lee Thompson (even during his "slumming it" years he was great) movie.

If you can stick through the mundane first two acts you will be rewarded with a good third act and a bizarre ending.

3/10 - for the movie

7/10 - for the final act and climax

There is a ridiculous scene in the film where these rich yuppie kids rush to the theatre to go see High Noon.
What reality is this supposed to be based in? Are young kids into B&W westerns today? Are they into westerns at all?
This reminds me of an episode of Seventh Heaven (don't set me ablaze I was forced to watch it with an ex girlfriend!) where the preacher dad takes his son to go see The Wild Bunch. As they come out of the theatre the son looks up at his pops with a big grin on his face...

"Thanks for taking me to this movie dad, it showed me the importance of teamwork" (that particular episode's moral).

WTF?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »

Frightfully boring first hour in which prep school kids are brutally slaughtered by a black gloved killer.
Heavily influenced by Giallo (the killer wears the aforementioned gloves/wields a razor in one scene/ POV shots) but without style. I was greatly disappointed by this J. Lee Thompson (even during his "slumming it" years he was great) movie.

If you can stick through the mundane first two acts you will be rewarded with a good third act and a bizarre ending.

3/10 - for the movie

7/10 - for the final act and climax

There is a ridiculous scene in the film where these rich yuppie kids rush to the theatre to go see High Noon.
What reality is this supposed to be based in? Are young kids into B&W westerns today? Are they into westerns at all?
This reminds me of an episode of Seventh Heaven (don't set me ablaze I was forced to watch it with an ex girlfriend!) where the preacher dad takes his son to go see The Wild Bunch. As they come out of the theatre the son looks up at his pops with a big grin on his face...

"Thanks for taking me to this movie dad, it showed me the importance of teamwork" (that particular episode's moral).

WTF?

1981 reality I would assume. That and its a Canadian horror flick. I don't see the big deal, really. It's not hard to believe a group of friends would be partial to a certain director, or film. Not hard to imagine at all. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, it was nice to see Mary from LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE in a slasher flick. The death scenes were pretty nice. I have the Columbia DVD but haven't watched it yet and I haven't seen the movie in years. I saw it the first time on HBO back in the early 80's when these kinds of movies thrived.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »

1981 reality I would assume.

Exactly, westerns were buried at that point.

That and its a Canadian horror flick. I don't see the big deal, really. It's not hard to believe a group of friends would be partial to a certain director, or film. Not hard to imagine at all. Maybe it's just me.

I'm not saying it hurts the film technically or storywise (because it doesn't) I just find it very bizarre.
The idea clearly comes from an older mind like the director or writer.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

Well there are many young people (even here!) who like old films regardless of whether they are in black and white or color. It really doesn't strike me as unusual I guess because I like older movies...even more than new movies. I know a handful of people my age that do as well. I don't see this as so unusual. Maybe it's geographic?

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:13:30 AM »

WTF?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 07:32:39 AM »

WTF?

That sounds awesome to me. Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM