Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:25:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Burrowers (2008)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Burrowers (2008)  (Read 2195 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »

I watched this nice little horror western last night. A pretty original and frightening species of monster and the makers nicely fit it in among historical occurrences to give them some added significance. Quite grim in places. However, the film builds to its conclusion, so less patient viewers may find it hard going. The creatures aren't really shown till near the end. Things happen from time to time, but again, the film builds its suspense and the script does a good job of keeping things fresh. A lot of other violence and bloodshed is caused because of the monsters between the Whites and various Indian tribes. This again, attempts to weave historical accounts into a fictional setting. It could have been better, but it has a lot going for it and a damn tragic downer of an ending that recalls NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Very sad. Clancey Brown is in it, too. The acting is decent, but could be better as well. The creatures and what they do to their victims is pretty creepy. A nice rental with an interesting plot and setting.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »

Trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaaMPMrg8oY

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:13 PM »

Hah! I was gonna open a topic in the OF section one of these days, and ask how it is, but figured nobody watched it...

I have it for two weeks now but can't find the courage to watch it.

So you'd recommend it? It is kinda like Tremors?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »

Hah! I was gonna open a topic in the OF section one of these days, and ask how it is, but figured nobody watched it...

I have it for two weeks now but can't find the courage to watch it.

So you'd recommend it? It is kinda like Tremors?

No, it's nothing at all like TREMORS. I enjoyed it. It is well made and the cinematography is quite nice. The nature of the creatures is very creepy and the mix of historical with fiction is always a nice addition at least for me and the ending is wonderfully and creatively downbeat if you like movies with more gutsy endings than the typical happy endings a lot of movies often end with. I wouldn't pay $20 for it necessarily as I mentioned I rented it and it's well worth that much.

Why is it you can't find the courage to watch it?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:32:41 AM »

Thanks, hopefully I'll watch it in the next couple of days and report back Afro

[Because it could be bad, so I need all the courage I can summon to sit through it. It was a joke.]

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:19:02 AM »

Watched it yesterday. It's a mediocre HW. Somewhat entertaining with some good points, but all in all pretty washy. More H than W really, definitely not for everyone. I'm one of those that didn't find the ''building the tension'' part to be satisfying, it was overlong and disconnected. The creatures are strange, I'll give them that, but not really that mean. I didn't understand why didn't that moron in the end just kill them while they were lying there after being poisoned? He just stabbed each one once and then waited for the morning? WTF? Why didn't he beat the shit out of them until there was nothing left of them, or behead them?

4/10

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »

I watched this nice little horror western last night. A pretty original and frightening species of monster and the makers nicely fit it in among historical occurrences to give them some added significance. Quite grim in places. However, the film builds to its conclusion, so less patient viewers may find it hard going. The creatures aren't really shown till near the end. Things happen from time to time, but again, the film builds its suspense and the script does a good job of keeping things fresh. A lot of other violence and bloodshed is caused because of the monsters between the Whites and various Indian tribes. This again, attempts to weave historical accounts into a fictional setting. It could have been better, but it has a lot going for it and a damn tragic downer of an ending that recalls NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Very sad. Clancey Brown is in it, too. The acting is decent, but could be better as well. The creatures and what they do to their victims is pretty creepy. A nice rental with an interesting plot and setting.

It's as you can see with DustDevil's post, a very divisive picture, and it's very tricky to recommend with confidence. I liked it though and wrote this review for it >

The Burrower Tribe in BurrowerVision.

The Burrowers is written and directed by J.T. Petty. It stars William Mapother, Sean Patrick Thomas, Clancy Brown, Laura Leighton, Doug Hutchison, Karl Geary and Robert Richard. Music is by Joseph LoDuca and cinematography by Phil Parmet.

August the 11th 1879, the Dakota territories, and after a family of pioneers are abducted a posse is formed and go off in search of the culprits. It is believed they have fallen prey to hostile Native Americans, but once out in the wilds the truth hits home and the posse find themselves in a brutal and bloody fight for survival.

It's not like Tremors! That wonderful homage to the B movie creature features of the 1950s is played for laughs and action thrills. The Burrowers admittedly on plot synopsis' does lend one to think that a fun packed creature feature is in the offering, but as many unaware film fans have found out, this is far from being the case.

I would rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my ass.

The Burrowers takes itself seriously, and not insultingly so. J.T. Petty wanted to make a Horror/Western but not in the schlocky sense. He even infuses the narrative with some human concerns and statements, ecologically and racially so.

The pace is very, very deliberate, so potential first time viewers need to take that into consideration. Once the plot is kick started in the opening salvo, the posse go out into the wilds and interact, for better and worse, dialogue is sharp and pointed, intelligent even.

A number of great character based scenes are setting the tone for what is a downbeat picture, while when the action comes in tantalising spurts, it's well marshalled by Petty, and it's not just all about the creatures either.

The look is of a classical Western, which considering the modest budget is quite some achievement. From costuming and props, to the colour palette, the film convinces as the Old West of 1879. In this regard it would have been very interesting to have seen Petty make a standalone Oater.

Practical effects are very decent and CGI is wisely used sparingly, though the big showdown at pic's end is something of a let down. Elsewhere Sir Clancy of Brown and Doug The Thug Hutchison are sadly under written, though the face fuzz department scores high marks!

A tricky one to recommend to either Horror or Western fans, but for atmosphere and a great sense of period - and no little amount of originality as well, it's worth checking out as long as you don't expect Tremors. 7/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 02:01:57 PM »

If you haven't seen it, and based on you liking this one, try Dead Birds  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/reference

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM