Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:44:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mortimer and Indio
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mortimer and Indio  (Read 15293 times)
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »

When I was young I used to think that Indio was Mortimer's brother-in-law.  After all, why did Indio remember the rape and killing of Mortimer's sister so well when he must have raped and killed several other women in his life time?  And why did the watch mean so much to him?  I thought that she (Mortimer's sister, Indio's wife) was fooling around with some dude while Indio was off riding with his gang.  But then again maybe not.  Any thoughts?

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:00:43 AM »

I think the main point of confusion here is that you have always thought that Indio was married to Mortimer's sister. This was not the case. She was actually with (we do not know if they were married or just courting) the other bloke in the scene. Indio barged in and shot the bloke before raping Mortimer's sister. If memory serves correctly the pocket watch was a gift from the bloke to his girlfriend / wife and Indio made off with it I guess.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »

Okay I get that but I still am wondering why the watch meant so much to Indio, who we can see is not a person who usually feels much guilt.  And when Mortimer identifys himself, Indio seems to instantly know who he is.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47:52 AM »

Because... he loved her...?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:41:02 AM »

I think the main point of confusion here is that you have always thought that Indio was married to Mortimer's sister. This was not the case. She was actually with (we do not know if they were married or just courting) the other bloke in the scene. Indio barged in and shot the bloke before raping Mortimer's sister. If memory serves correctly the pocket watch was a gift from the bloke to his girlfriend / wife and Indio made off with it I guess.

I agree with you Dirty rat: just before Indio enters in the bedroom we can see the guy giving a present to Mortimer's sister, just like a fiancee or husband does. I don't remember if it was the pocket watch or something else. But my guess is that brother and sister owned two identical pocket watches since their youth, maybe a present from their parents.
Indio and Mortimer don't know each other, in fact when they meet in the Taberna in Aguacaliente Indio asks Mortimer who was he, it is evident it's the first time he sees him in his life.
The question to me is quite simple: Indio raped the girl and stole her pocket watch. Maybe he was in love with her, but most of all he felt guilty for his rape and her suicide.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

. . . but most of all he felt guilty for his rape and her suicide.
Absolutely not.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 02:22:22 AM »

Indio has more of a lusting or obsession over the incident, certainly not remorse.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »

He has fetishized the event.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »

He has fetishized the event.

This seems more likely than any guilt he may have been feeling.  Last night I watched the flashback scene again and this time I saw the watch just before Indio breaks in, so my brother-in-law theory seems to be dead.  I still don't know why Indio seemed the recognize the name Mortimer out of how many girls that he probably raped.  Maybe it was the fact that she killed herself during the rape.  How could any woman not fall for the famous Indio charm?    Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 03:13:28 PM »

I think the fact that she killed herself in the process is what made it memorable. Frayling opines (on the basis of what, I don't know) that Indio is made impotent by the event; whether or not that's valid, I doubt that too many of Indio's victims were able to shoot themselves, at least while he was on top of them.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »

Hah, but listen to this: maybe (just maybe) for some reason it was Mortimer's sister that made Indio a crazy SOB, murderer, criminal, rapist and all those other things he became later. Imagine that!

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »

An interesting idea, and you're welcome to it. Me, I prefer to think he was led astray by Loco Weed.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »

His love of Nino was unrequited.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »

Indio, a poor half-Mexican half-Indian kid is working as a stable boy on a estate somewhere in North or South Carolina. The proprietor, a rich Northern businessman named Mortimer, thinks of himself as a good Christian, and lets the poor boy live with him and his family, but is in fact a bigot just like everybody else. While the boy is permitted to stay on the property during the night, he isn't allowed to eat at the same table or live under the same roof with Mortimer's family: his beautiful (and much younger) wife, his daughter (that is the same age as Indio), and his son (that is just about to leave them in order to join the army, to make his father proud and happy). Indio, grateful that he has somewhere to live and work in first place, doesn't pay much attention to all that at first, but, as time passes he slowly befriends Mortimer's daughter. The possession is remote and there aren't many things to do for young people. The kids ride horses together and soon find themselves in love. The furious Mortimer arranges to put Indio in jail, under false accuse. Indio spends a couple of years in jail, doing everything in his power to stay clean, hoping one day he can return to the property, hoping everything is just a mistake, hoping Mortimer wouldn't play him out like that... After serving his time he attempts to return to N/S Carolina but only to find out that Mortimer's daughter changed; under her father's influence she turned into a bigot just like him, and she's waiting to get married with this good town boy, from a decent family. Unfortunately, the old Mortimer and his wife died during the time Indio was in jail, so there is no way for Indio, now a man, to reverse what happened, and maybe win Mortimer's daughter back. Maddened, he turns to violence and crime, culminating the night when the women he loves kills herself just so he can't have her. Nor her body, nor her mind. Indio, disappointed in love and life in general flees down South, slowly becoming addicted to Locoweed (rolled into corn husk), that helps him alleviate the pain, and engaging in a strange, amor platonicus-like and very complex relationship with Nino, a half-Guinean half-Colombian opium smuggler, and his notorious band.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:55:46 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Man, one cliche on another...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM