Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:40:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mortimer and Indio
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mortimer and Indio  (Read 15323 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »

I prefer "more interesting or less."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »

Jenkins isn't exactly a humble bugger, is he?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »

It takes one to know one?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 03:58:39 PM »

You are right, mine is just one of uncountable examples we can do, literature and cinema are full of that kind of stuff.
Definitely it's fun to speculate on it but I'm not so good in the matter, so I am looking forward to your "Colonel Mortimer Story": I have a great consideration of him, so please don't destroy my hero...

Stay tuned my ugly friend, I'll take a couple of days board free and think about it when I go to the beach. I'll come up with a load of shallow crap that'll be impossible to resist.

Colonel Mortimer: The Untold Story

...coming soon.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:42:05 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »

About Indio and his flashbacks: the definition best suiting this recurring spell is - ''fixation''. This obviously happens randomly, without Indio's authorization. The Locoweed is there either to alleviate the pain or amplify the experience, we can't know for sure. I suspect Indio doesn't know why he uses it himself, it's more like a reflex, or a bad habit. (Or perhaps he punishes himself consciously? Indio: Confession of a Latent Flagellant (The Story we never Knew))

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »

Not Without My Lesion: The Story of Indio.

Saturday nights with Groggy
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:05 AM »

I prefer "more interesting or less."

You're welcome to your preferences. Wink It definitely sounds better and makes better sense; I just wrote it that way to continue in the line of my previous sentence.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:57:32 AM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 05:11:26 AM »

The story is great.  Grin Now we want Mortimer's point of view.

What I can't really understand is the age difference. Mortimer is way older than Indio and the girl. Indio didn't age too much since the flashback.

I'm sure Indio knew the girl before, she was not just some random woman he raped. But seriously... glasses for the girl!  Tongue

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:39:01 AM by Jill » Logged

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:09 AM »

!

I apologize guys, I forgot about this topic! Embarrassed

Colonel Douglas Mortimer's life story coming soon!

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 02:34:49 PM »

What I can't really understand is the age difference. Mortimer is way older than Indio and the girl. Indio didn't age too much since the flashback.

I know someone in his mid-80s who has a sister who is 59.  Some large families have children that span generations.  Of course since the girl and Van Cleef don't look like each other, maybe they're half or step-siblings.  Douglas' mother died and Big Daddy Mortimer married someone else.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

Well we don't know how many years passed since Indio killed Mortimer's sister, let's say 15. If Indio was 20 - 25 at the time he killed her after 15 years he'd have 35 - 40 years, which isn't a big deal for a man, he really looks like he's that age. On the other hand if Mortimer was around 30 - 35 when his sister got killed after 15 years when he'd meet with Indio he'd have 45 - 50, and he also looks his age. So, Mortimer's sister must have been between 15 - 20, and at the time the movie takes place a 15 years span between brothers and sisters was nothing out of the ordinary.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »

Mortimer's Story Part I - Early Life:

Before many many years, when the future bounty hunter/Colonel Mortimer was still a young man, the Mortimer family was living happily somewhere in the Carolinas. Mortimer's father was a tough but principled man (although he really wasn't, he was more of a bigot with illusions of grandeur), while his mother was a indulgent lady from an affluent Southern family, he also had a younger sister with which he was in good relations. Growing up in abundance he soon started to realize the shallowness of a life like that; the lack of spirit, morale and true friendship which accompanies a rich man throughout his life became more obvious to him than ever before. His relationship with the father starts to deteriorate, but his mother and sister give him comfort and understanding. He soon discovers the works of SÝren Kierkegaard and starts taking courses of gardening... his father is not pleased. In his eyes the young man is becoming deviant, a wildman without a sense of responsibility for his family or his country. He wants him to eat fish on Saturdays, go to church on Sundays and whip the slaves every Monday and Friday, to keep the morale high on the estate, and believe in the power of the dollar, and God. The young Mortimer is hurting inside. In the following year his mother dies, and he feels like he's alone in the world. His hair starts to fall off from the constant nervous tension, he wants to die. The only good thing is his relationship with his sister, although very young only she seems to understand him. With her comfort he menages to somehow put up with the father, she is his only friend and reason why he keeps getting out of bed every morning, and vice versa. In meantime his father gets married with a much younger woman, like taken from a fairy tale the impostor soon starts instigating the father more and more against his son. The rabid father finds a cure for all the troubles - the young man will go to the army. Mortimer has to accept because it is the only chance he's got to make something in his life, life on the estate would sooner or later break him and his father sure as hell wouldn't invest in him becoming a professional gardener. He dreams of a glorious career, and thinks how he will one day rescue his sister and help her build a better life. He goes to the army.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:00:00 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »

Mortimer's Story Part II - Army Boy:

But if the young and hopeful Mortimer thought the army will be a good place to find inner peace and self respect he was wrong like never before. Soon he finds himself in conflict again, his humanistic and sincere nature does not allow him to tolerate the hypocrisy, injustice and cruelty inherent to the army system. He can not stand the intolerance towards the minorities, and after one too many complaints is sent to the kitchen to be the cook's prop. Yet, he should have known better, the cook and the rest of his company are stealing food and other things from the magazine. He turns them in, and finds himself alone against the whole army. Apparently it is the way things are done there, and it didn't much help a couple of the higher officers were degraded because of him. He is sent on mission to accompany a general to a distant military outpost. He is one of the very few people the general, a good man that found out all about his past, trusts. Mortimer thinks to himself his 15 minutes of glory just came knocking to the door. While still on the road he receives a message from his sister, saying their father is ill, and that she suspects his wife has something to do with it. She also tells him she is gonna get married to a man she loves very soon, and that would be very pleased if he could make it. Mortimer is cheered a great deal by this. The general is traveling with his wife, a libertine looking for some rugged frontier man to get her juices flowing again. As her husband is devoted to his work, she turns her attention to the young Mortimer, who turns her down. Enraged by this she threatens him, if he does not oblige her she will accuse him of raping. Mortimer does not fall for the trick and menages to put it behind him. In meantime he befriends one of his comrades, a slick New Orleanian named Christopher, who is also working for the general. For some time it looks like everything is OK, until one day he receives a letter from his sister, saying their father killed himself and his wife after he found out she was stealing from him. He almost tries to commit suicide but the love for his sister (and Arthur Schopenhauer) saves him. He packs his stuff and ready for desertion sneaks out of the fort. But, he finds something in his pocket, a letter from his friend Christopher asking him to come to a secret place in the forest tonight. Trusting his friend he decides to help him. He shows up at the spot and finds the general's wife with her throat slit, he realizes his buddy framed him, and before he can get away the maddened general pops out of the dark firing at him. He kills him, in self defense, but has to run away home like a wounded dog. Though, not before he kills Christopher, in a whorehouse in Alburquerque. Coming home he finds his sister killed, the locals tell him what happened. The man in black saddles a horse and goes down South.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »

Interesting, though something seems to be missing. Why no mention of his evil twin, Angel Eyes?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 02:37:55 PM »

Interesting, though something seems to be missing. Why no mention of his evil twin, Angel Eyes?

Given to adoption immediately after birth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM