Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:31:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Trapper Western(s)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trapper Western(s)  (Read 2977 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »

How many TW have you seen so far and which ones do you like the most?

It crossed my mind the other day while I was re-watching Jeremiah Johnson how there aren't really many entries in this sub-genre (or at least I haven't seen many of them), which is a pity, because the TWs seem to be more pragmatic in the presentation of the Old West, of both his beauties and perils. A unique form of expression, bordering philosophy, and certainly more beautiful and thoughtful than the regular ''men with guns shooting around the desert'' flicks.

The idea is to list here the more and less known movies in this WSG, that are in your opinion worth watching.

So, mountains, trappers, wilderness, the frontier, unexplored regions, man against the nature, pine trees, possibly snow, bears and other wild animals, furs, hard life...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:28:11 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »

The Big Sky (1952) - I suspect this is that beautiful movie in which Kirk Douglas' finger has to be cut off (he, not that the first part of the sentence is in any way influenced by the second one). If it is, I've watched it only once with my father when I was a kid, but I'm definitely looking forward to watch it again. (I know, I could check out on the net, but where's the fun in that?)

Man in the Wilderness (1971) - I've never seen this one with Richard Harris and John Huston, but definitely want to in the near future. Is it any good?

Jeremiah Johnson (1972) - possibly the best of it's kind, beautiful movie imbued with poetry, love and admiration for the nature.

Jonathan degli orsi (1993) - saw it back in the 90s and wasn't impressed. I'm afraid that won't much improve the second time.

Grey Owl (1999) - I don't know if I've ever watched this movie in one piece but I do remember it was boring as hell.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:51:37 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »

Hudson's Bay (1941) Paul Muni, Laird Cregar, great little Trapper Western about the founding of the Hudson's Bay Company.  Afro

Many Rivers To Cross (1955) Robert Taylor,  Eleanor Parker,  Victor McLaglen,  James Arness,  Alan Hale Jr. , this one sucked.

The first couple of instalments of TV miniseries Centenial with Robert Conrad as Pasquinel are great.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »

What about that TV series (and a couple of TV movies?) with Dan ''Beard'' Haggerty playing Grizzly Adams?

I remember watching that with my grandfather when I was a kid. Thought it was great then, though, that's probably not a very objective view...

Worth a watch?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:44:41 PM »

I didn't think Grizzly Adams was that good, so no.

There is another trapper Western with Charelton Heston & Brian Kieth, Mountian Man (1980) don't think I saw it though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

That's what I suspected... Undecided

Haven't seen that either, but thanks for mentioning. Hopefully if someone joins we can make a list of some watchable TWs.

There's actually a lot of Westerns that meddle with that motif, I'm sure there must be something about Davy Crockett and similar guys, but only maybe a dozen of them can really be considered hardcore TWs.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »

There's actually a lot of Westerns that meddle with that motif, I'm sure there must be something about Davy Crockett and similar guys, but only maybe a dozen of them can really be considered hardcore

Yea I'd consider The Unconquered (1947) Gary Cooper  Paulette Goddard  Boris Karloff   Ward Bond something like that

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »

Gary Cooper and Paulette Goddard in a remote cabin whose original owners have recently been massacred by the Indians. Gary Cooper dressed in a white shirt, with a long rifle, listening to Paulette Goddard's wining about how she misses London. That's the only scene I remember from that movie, but I agree with you, that's the most common type - soft TW.

A couple more and I'll make a list in the first post, with specifications.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:56:45 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »

It's interesting that a lot of movies set in NW Canada and Alaska after 1850 also have that TW feel, although most of the American movies on that subject happen much earlier (mostly during the colonial times). The remoteness and inaccessibility of those regions obviously plays an important factor for the whole setting of the movie, even more than the right time period.

I could think of a couple of them:

Death Hunt (1981) - with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin

the White Fang / Zanna Bianca movies

River of No Return (1954) - with Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe

Not really Ws, but they have a TW-kinda air around them.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:32:32 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »

Across the Wide Missouri (1951) Clark Gable is set in 1831.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »

Never heard of that one with Gable.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM