Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 01:45:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Clint Eastwood as Frank
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood as Frank  (Read 24277 times)
Rudra
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »

Hi all,

I have been thinking about it for a while and I was wondering how about Clint Eastwood in the role of Frank in O.U.A.T.I.T.W.? Imagine, after the shooting the McBains at the ranch and while little Timmy stands shell-shocked in amidst the massacre of his family, the camera pans around and reveals Clint Eastwood's face, i.e. Clint as Frank.

Do you think Clint Eastwood could have done the same justice, if not better, than Henry Fonda as Frank?

Thanks,
R

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »

It would now have the same impact as Fonda did then probably.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:25:39 PM »

Sorry but no.  Eastwood's Man with No Name was already a semi-villain ("The Good" my ass).  Remember what he did to Tuco?  Making him an outright baddie would actually be less interesting.  Leone had invented a new genre with FoD, improved on it with FAFDM, and perfected it with GBU.  All that was left was to merge his western (Spanish locales, cynical attitude about America, stylish and cool) with the traditional Hollywood western that he grew up with.  Only a small group of actors would have been iconic and heroic enough to make their casting as the black-hearted villain of OUATITW really sting the audience.  (A brilliant idea for late 60s America--if we can't trust (blank), then who can we trust?)  And for the record, Fonda was great as Frank.       Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »

I'm with the Colonel. The Man With No Name was already an "anti-hero" at best, and Clint didn't have decades of playing heroic, iconic heroes behind him. Granted, he had played Rowdy Yates on Rawhide, but through the Dollars films he had quickly shed that persona. Fonda had played Tom Joad and Wyatt Earp and Juror #8 in his career, to name just a few - what did Clint have in his resume to compare? The fighter pilot in Tarantula?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:21:50 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »

It would NOW have the same impact as Fonda did then probably,  get it NOW, not back then NOW.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »

I would disagree even more fervently with that NOW, given that Eastwood has now made a forty year career of playing morally ambiguous anti-heroes.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »

Moraly ambiguous yes, but relatively what passes for a GOOD GUY nowadays, so it would have the same impact now.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »

Moraly ambiguous yes, but relatively what passes for a GOOD GUY nowadays, so it would have the same impact now.

I agree. Audiences are pretty much desenentized to the anti-hero, to the point in which they're viewed in the same light that the "good guys" were 50-60s years ago. The only actors that could have garnered a stronger reaction in 1968 would be The Duke and Jimmy Stewart (maybe you can make a few more cases but that's beside the point).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »

James Stewart actually tried a couple of times.

It didn't go well.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »

Try watching 12 Angry Men again.  There is something so relentless and self-assured about Fonda's uber-liberal that suggest he would make a great villain far more than movies like Fort Apache, where he was more flawed than bad.  Frank is Juror #8 without his conscience or ideals.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:36:34 AM »

View the "surprise" seeing Fonda as Frank in appearance (after his gang shot Mcbain freckles from here to eternity) in 1969 eyes.  That's what made it great casting and performance.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

Of course, that is what I'm saying for Clint now he would have a similar effect upon audiences if he played a cold blooded killer of women & children.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »

No, CJ, it wouldn't be the same. I jumped on my seat when I first saw Fonda in that scene. It wouldn't be the same with Eastwood: they have different careers and, most of all, different Hollywoods behind them.
Thinking about it, I think only Terence Hill could make the same impact nowadays, at least on italian audiences, as Frank.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »

Tom Hanks would probably be a better modern-day equivalent. I don't think he's ever played a bad guy, and only a few morally questionable characters.

Whalestoe
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »

Tom Hanks would probably be a better modern-day equivalent. I don't think he's ever played a bad guy, and only a few morally questionable characters.

Picturing Hanks as Frank is hilarious. Thank you, Groggs! Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM