Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:01:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Clint Eastwood as Frank
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood as Frank  (Read 24312 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 02:50:08 AM »

Fonda was one of a kind, a great actor and a symbol of his time (whatever you think of that doesn't really matter). Now it's different. Audiences have changed, mentality has changed and expectations have changed, which is why his role of Frank in OUATITW can hardly be repeated or bested. The stinking puritanism of Hollywood was at the time already challenged, but today one can only imagine what the audience must have felt seeing Henry Fonda as psychopathic murderer, especially in America (release and other fuck ups besides) back in the late 60s.

I've heard people say only John Wayne in the role of Frank would have been a bigger surprise, but I don't really buy that. It was mostly because of his political views they couldn't imagine JW as Frank, not because of his acting skills or on-screen appearance. JW was a tall, heroic and masculine figure, the audience would bit his Frank at some point of the movie. But Henry Fonda, on the other hand, was something completely else. He wasn't the JW-ian macho ''Son I'll slap ya if ya don't tell me where did the robbers and killers go!'' hero type. He was a scrag, humble and pious, a man from the crowd, always fighting against injustice, for common people. A saint, Henry Fonda was as close as an actor could be to a saint till that moment, and Sergio Leone made the Devil out of him.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:54:31 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 04:19:41 AM »

Nowadays, most big hollywoodian good guys, even Tom Cruise, have played at least one character that was the bad guy, either at the middle or the end of their career. When it is rightly done, it creates a little buzz around the movie, and sometimes it helps the actor to find more interesting parts afterwards. But you never ever think "OH MY GOD THIS IS MEL GIBSON!".
So may be Dust Devil has a point here.

Another reason he didn't mention is that we know now a lot about movies one year before we see them. If Orlando Bloom is going to play the bad guy, it is used to advertize the movie during the production phase. That's also why you never think "OH MY GOD THIS IS ORLANDO". You knew he was going to be the bad, and in a modern film, when you see a big bloodbath during the first 20 minutes, you know that this is going to be the introduction scene of the bad guy.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:15 AM »

Good point.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 06:24:54 AM »

Good point.

We're both very good.

... today.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 07:15:18 AM »

I believe the trailers/ads for OUATITW made Fonda out to be the bad guy. It wasn't like Leone was trying to keep it a secret; the fact that he was shooting children was what, I imagine, caused such a reaction as Titoli describes.

I think Later Tuco has a good point though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »

I believe the trailers/ads for OUATITW made Fonda out to be the bad guy. It wasn't like Leone was trying to keep it a secret; the fact that he was shooting children was what, I imagine, caused such a reaction as Titoli describes.

I think Later Tuco has a good point though.

But the trailer wasn't available on the net at the time Smiley It could even be the reason why these trailers are always terrible: who cares? nobody's gonna see it.
Morever, I stay on my case about the "every famous good guy plays baddies on a regular basis nowadays".

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 07:51:54 AM »

I can't say as I disagree with your latter point, blinky. Smiley

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »

Well... I still agree about my latter point anyway  Cheesy

www.ThibautOskian.com
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 02:27:53 PM »

Clint never played Lawful Goods. But Fonda as Frank was Absolute Good turned into Evil. The only similar effect I can think is when in Boys of Brazil Mengele appears and GAWD it's Gregory Peck.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 02:33:51 PM »

I don't know if you guys have seen the movie Warlock (one of Leone's favorites) but Fonda is a bit of a bad-ass/bad guy there (at least by 50's standards)...certainly he's not the white knight of the movie....probably had some influence on his casting for west...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »

Firecreek also

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

There were exceptions to the general rule in Fonda's career - I'd also add the obvious Fort Apache, and maybe The Tin Star, to that list - but they were definitely exceptions.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »

noodles and tuco, you're missing the point on what Joe said (or am I lol): had Eastwood played Frank, his impact would be just as strong, if not stronger than Fonda's presently because of the anti-hero status he built in the last forty years. Let's face it, Henry Fonda is a god of an actor, possibly the greatest, but many young people don't even know who he is.

or did I just miss the point on this?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »

noodles and tuco, you're missing the point on what Joe said (or am I lol): had Eastwood played Frank, his impact would be just as strong, if not stronger than Fonda's presently because of the anti-hero status he built in the last forty years. Let's face it, Henry Fonda is a god of an actor, possibly the greatest, but many young people don't even know who he is.

or did I just miss the point on this?

Now i'm a bit confused... What are we talking about?

the experience of a modern viewer seing Clint now in a remake VS the 1968 audience seing fonda at the time

OR

a modern viewer seing OUATITW now VS a modern viewer seing a remake with Clint?

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:36 AM »

What I meant was in a modern film (not a remake of OUTITW) just having Eastwood play a despicable child killer or something similar would possibly have the same impact that Fonda did then.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM