Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 01:23:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Western Union (1941)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Western Union (1941)  (Read 4516 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

Fritz Lang directs. Stars Robert Young and Randolph Scott as a polar opposite duo compete against and with eachother working for the western union telegraph company. The love triangle Young and Scott are involved in doesn't bog down the movie and it has a pretty nice pace. The opening and closing moments are very well done, a pretty solid shootout in the final moments that had to be a bit unorthodox for the time period.

Very much worth seeing for those who haven't. 

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »

I've seen it I concur. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »

The love triangle Young and Scott are involved in doesn't bog down the movie and it has a pretty nice pace. The opening and closing moments are very well done, a pretty solid shootout in the final moments that had to be a bit unorthodox for the time period.
You've sussed it. I'd only add that the film was shot in Technicolor and could really do with a restoration.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »

You've sussed it. I'd only add that the film was shot in Technicolor and could really do with a restoration.

Judging from the print on the underwhelming encore westerns channel, certainly. I'm sure TCM shows a superior version but it's probably not good enough.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:19:44 AM »

I have the R2 DVD, and the print looks lousy on that.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:54:19 AM »

Yeah, but, what's this movie really about? One hour into it, the only thing we get is a series of episodes, only then they start moving and doing something. I just couldn't remain focused with all that collateral stuff, although it wasn't that boring. Not my type of Western.

5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »

One the other hand, the romance thing was, to my surprise, almost pleasant.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »

Yeah, it has a nice look but plotwise is uninteresting. The Young character isn't developed at all, what is there for? The Scott side isn't good enough to justify vision: actually it is stretched too much just to let us know in the end that Scott has an evil brother. And the love interest is just good for the scene of rivalry Young-Scott in the girl's office: then it vanishes (thank God) as well.  So it's 5\10 for me too.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »

The final shootout isn't bad. And it's interesting that Scott dies at the end. The primary (heh) interest, though, is the Technicolor.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »

Yes, the final shoot-out is pretty well done. And the romance, well , typical Hollywood and somehow superfluous. All in all a good western. 6,5/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:27:54 AM »

mediocre Western 6/10

I rented it on iTunes. good use of color, the movie is pretty to look at;  Randolph Scott delivers a typically solid performance; Barton MacLane, whom we're used to seeing as a bad guy in gangster films, here has a good turn as a bad guy in a Western film; the final shootout is nice; I also liked the town set. Pretty much all I can say good. Also, Barton MacLane goes through the final shootout with shaving cream on half his face; possible inspiration for FAFDM? And hiding the gun under the barber's apron, I'm sure that has been used in countless films.... Finally, the relationship that brother and sister have is really creepy. my God, they can't seem to keep their hands off each other, they can't stop telling each other how much they love one another, they can't stop saying how great it is to see each other and I came out here just to see you again and it was worth it just to see you for a few minutes and walking around with their arms around each other; a little weird.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:23:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »

Well, they didn't make too many Technicolor Westerns, so this Blu-ray might be an essential purchase. Get a load o' doze screencaps!: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_66/western_union_blu-ray.htm

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »

I remember giving this one a glowing review better than I remember the movie.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM