Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:30:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Film Locations (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATIA locations
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATIA locations  (Read 44043 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »

Great job, everyone! This is an awesome thread. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2016, 04:26:01 AM »

In the Montreal Gazette article the French seaside town of "Biarritz" was mentioned as a location - I found this really interesting as this was the first time I'd heard this location mentioned.  In Frayling's book the filming schedule (June 1982 - March/April 1983) is listed as follows: Rome, Paris, Venice, Rome, Canada, New Jersey, Florida, New York, Rome, Venice, Lake Como, Rome.  I wonder if this location was abandoned at some point in the schedule?  The town of Biarritz in the 1920's was known as the "Queen Of Resorts and Resort Of Kings" it attracted the rich & famous including movie stars, gangsters and politicians.
The most famous landmark in the resort town is the  "Hotel Du Palais" -  Built in 1855 by Napoleon III for his wife Eugenie De Montigo - over the years guests have included Coco Chanel, Ernest Hemingway, Ava Gardner & Frank Sinatra.  I've posted some links to the hotel & photos.  Was this hotel which has a grand ballroom and would have looked perfect for a 1930's internal location maybe have been considered for the restaurant/dance scene with De Niro/McGovern and then it was decided to shoot both the beach & restaurant scenes at the Hotel Excelsior/Lido Venice?

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2016, 04:39:20 AM »

http://www.hotel-du-palais.com/#evenements/grandes_occasions

http://www.hotel-du-palais.com/#pays-basque

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H˘tel_du_Palais

http://www.hotelexcelsiorvenezia.com/en/weddings/wedding-reception/sala-stucchi.html

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

I'll have a look at Biarritz in due course.

A simpler matter is the scene where Danny Aiello walks down the steps in front of a building representing New York's Police HQ 10th precinct.

According to the Montreal Gazette this was filmed at the old Ecole Des Hautes Etudes Commerciales of the UniversitÚ de Montreal in Rue Saint-Denis.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:50:49 AM by chris » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »

Great stuff  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2016, 03:15:56 AM »

Hats off again to you Chris - great work 😉👍

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2016, 03:50:02 AM »

Chris to assist you I'm sure "Old Truck/Bootlegged Liquor" Victoria Square  is where Noodles (1933) looks at the three dead bodies on the street & St.Patrick street is where "Jimmy O' Donnell" is shot in the leg (not Noodles) think they made a mistake.

The three dead bodies/burnt out bootleg truck is going to be very tough to location to match, scene was brief, shot at night and raining - but good luck😉👍

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »

There's a memorable scene in the movie where Richard Bright as Chicken Joe wildly shoots a machine gun from the window of a speeding car and Jimmy (Treat Williams) is shot in the leg.

This was filmed in Montreal in the areas around Alexandra Quay, Rue Normand heading towards the Royal Bank Tower and possibly Rue St Patrick.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:50:29 AM by chris » Logged
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2016, 12:11:46 PM »

Yes that's the street where the car speeds away from Chris but is it where Jimmy/Treat Williams actually is shot?  Personally I don't think it is - but stand corrected if wrong😊

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2016, 01:54:45 PM »

Yes that's the street where the car speeds away from Chris but is it where Jimmy/Treat Williams actually is shot?  Personally I don't think it is - but stand corrected if wrong😊

No you're right of course and it's probable that Jimmy O'Donnell was shot in the leg in Rue St Patrick.  However this street is approx 11 Km or 6.8 miles long.

I've not yet pinpointed the exact spot - it may be impossible - and there are the problems of campo and controcampo views as described by Tonino Delli Colli and creative editing.

Most of the filming of the car in which Chicken Joe is travelling is in the areas around Alexandra Quay, Rue Normand heading towards the Royal Bank Tower and possibly parts of Rue St Patrick.

At present this is about as close as I can get.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:01:46 PM by chris » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »

I'm stoked! CJ and D&D: when are we going to Montreal?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2016, 02:41:28 PM »

There could be a much as three locations in the Jimmy/Treat Williams drive by shooting Chris (so complex) the close up of Jimmy on the phone with a smoking chimney in the background too -  it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack at times Chris - I'll keep doing some research at my end - the torching of the newsstand by the kids was also shot in Montreal (maybe with a reverse in NY) I've seen a great set photo that may help to pin the location down a bit for you - will report back when got something😉👍

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »

Dave maybe Chris & I could come too - as tour guides?😂😂😂😂😂

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »

I'm stoked! CJ and D&D: when are we going to Montreal?

Only about 500+ miles North of us.  Afro

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:34:25 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »

The background may well be from the bottom of the buildings in Rue Normand in which case the car may have driven down the street more than once, different camera viewpoints used and some editing.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:50:02 AM by chris » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM