Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:18:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Film Locations (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATIA locations
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATIA locations  (Read 44091 times)
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »

http://leslievillepicker.tumblr.com/post/117471586680/bobbys-restaurant-montreal-canada-1985

Chris this photo of a 1980's Montreal restaurant is very near the location where Jimmy Is shot by Chicken Joe - Bobby's is most probably no longer in business but the building is quite distinctive & if you look closely there is an industrial factory building nearby (those also could be grain silos attached to the building) the smoking chimney in the background when Jimmy makes the phone call could be part of that factory as could the distinctive long white (low level) building that can be seen when Joe's car speeds around the corner😉👍

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »

I would definitely be down to do a trip to Montreal. Unfortunately. I don't think I will be able to take a couple of days off work right now, but perhaps in a couple of months.

If you guys are able to take the time to go, don't wait for me  Wink

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:56:25 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

I would love to go during the Jazz or comedy festivals D&D - location scouting by day & painting the town red at night😉👍

Anyway back to business: 1920's Montreal newsstand scene - the photo attached Chris distinctive arches on the building with a hanging sign that looks like it's written in French (can't quite make it out) at first I thought it said Massages! Grin Grin Grin
Those two female extras when the kids look through the wall at the stand on fire I'm sure you see them both😉👍

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »

Oops here's the photo Roll Eyes

http://www.fondazionecsc.it/mostre_photo_detail.jsp?area=6&ID_LINK=244&page=26&IDCTX=4417&id_context=4417

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »

Oh and Fourth from bottom on left row - will get there eventually Roll Eyes

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »

Montreal three dead bodies/crashed bootleg truck location: on your YouTube video Chris when the firemen place the body on the ground you can see the name "Richardson Exporters & No Parking" - when Noodles suddenly appears in the crown there is another piece of writing but I think it may just be the word Ambulance (makes sense). This is quite a large open area location & large enough to get a big rain machine into which I'm sure was used for this scene - so Victoria Square could be a good shout Afro

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2016, 05:00:35 AM »

Ok found the area in Montreal where the kids set fire to the newsstand: 451 St.Pierre Street Montreal - this matches the building in the photo of Leone & crew - there is an area directly across from this building (wasteland) where the kids watched the newsstand burning - their building/viewpoint may have been destroyed since the scene was shot.  In Chris's YouTube video of the scene you can also see the street number 449 (twice) - Chris could you supply some photos of the area?
Thanks again Afro

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »

Wow LITTLE BIG MAN!  Well done.   Afro   Afro   Afro  

The name on the sign is Murrays Restaurant but you've solved it anyway.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:49:33 AM by chris » Logged
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »

Several of the maps and aerial views previously posted have the location of Rue St Pierre and Rue des Recollets

Certainly an area Leone used frequently - Rue St Pierre, Rue Le Moyne, Rue St Nicholas and Rue du St Sacrement - it wouldn't surprise me if the burning bodies scene was filmed near here and there are several empty areas large enough to accommodate the scene.

Apart from the hospital interiors one of the few items left in the Montreal Gazette article is the Imperial Theatre. We know that, for the production, extras were decked out with evening clothes imported from Italy and filming went through until 5 a.m. the next morning. This was probably the 1930s Busby Berkeley Routine scene with the interior being filmed in the Imperial and the exterior, where Noodles meets Deborah to take her to a fancy restaurant, outside an old hotel in New York.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:49:15 AM by chris » Logged
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »

Chris fantastic photos/work again Afro
We make a great team Cool
Murray's Restaurant Grin
And here was me thinking it might have been a Massage Parlour Grin

The photo of the restaurant you posted is the same one - the photo was in my book and I was able to make out its name - in the photo Jimmy is fleeing from the telephone box as the car speeds around the corner & is about to open fire.  Hopefully we can pin the location down soon.  The bodies on the street is going to be a tough nut to crack - I'm going to have a look at my Blu Ray copy as the images in HD might show up a bit better.  There is also a photo in the book of De Niro sitting in the Montreal Theare (black bow tie /evening wear) 1933 as he watches Deborah on stage (Busby Berkley) with lots of extras in full 30's costumes.  The exterior shot of De Niro &  Milchan (chauffeur) waiting for Deborah - like you I always assumed this was a NY hotel but Milchan is on record saying that he flew from Paris to Montreal to shoot the scene - there was a bit of a dispute between Leone & Milchan regarding the role of the chauffer and Leone only gave the go ahead at the last minute after De Niro had intervened on behalf  Milchan.  The internal Montreal hospital scene location you are looking for is for the scene where De Niro enters the lift after the meeting with Sharky & exits the lift and is met by Max in the lobby (Joe Pesci in background) the other hospital scenes were shot at Cinecitta as far as I know - but I'll check that.

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »

Part of a post by drinkanddestroy on Mar 14 2011:

... on p. 456 of STDWD, Frayling cites Ted Kurdyla, the NY production liason for the film...

"we shot the interior of the theatre in Montreal; the exterior of the theatre was actually an old hotel in New York; the drive was through northern New Jersey..." (Id. at 451).

I've recently seen a couple of documentaries on the movie and either Delli Colli or a guy involved with the movie also mentioned that the exterior of the theater was an old hotel in New York.  I've not had the opportunity of viewing the  Busby Berkeley scene but perhaps Leone wanted Milchan in the background in the lobby of the Imperial Theater etc.

I've looked for Quebec's Bureau de surveillance (Censor Board) old Montreal but perhaps they've moved or something.  The lobby of this is supposed to be quite impressive.

The only building I've found is Régie du cinéma 390, rue Notre-Dame O, bureau 100  Montréal (Québec) H2Y 1T9  (reduced mobility :  455, rue Sainte-Hélène  Montréal) and this building is far from impressive.  In any event I may find it difficult to find photos of the interior for comparison with a still from the movie.

As you say it's reported that the other hospital scenes were shot at Cinecitta.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »

I'll try and find the quote from A Milchan - it may be that he was mistaken - it was over 30 years ago after all?
Chris these documentaries you mentioned - is there any chance you could post them on the OUATIA forum?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »

Where was the feather/down factory scene shot. And the one with the old boats on dry land, were those around Montreal also?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »

Where was the feather/down factory scene shot. And the one with the old boats on dry land, were those around Montreal also?

I vaguely recall hearing somewhere that the feather factory was a real feather factory in use when the movie was being shot, I think in Brooklyn.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2016, 01:10:29 AM »

From Frayling's book: The scene where Joe (Burt Young) is shot in the eye was filmed at "Trois Rivieres" near Quebec, as was the car driving off the pier  Afro

This was Carlo Simi's (production designer) favourite location for OUATIA - " St. Lawrence river seems like the ocean and where the road is lined with the carcasses of rotting boats".

Also from book: The feather factory was a real working feather factory near 8th street (Brooklyn).

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM