Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 10:46:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Touch of Evil (1958)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Touch of Evil (1958)  (Read 7222 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:13 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052311/

What to say that hasn't been said (many many times) already: Touch of Evil is a nifty noir with a couple of good supporting performances and a shining director-screenwriter-actor Orson Welles. Certainly one of the best of its kind.

8 - 8.5 /10

But I was thinking about Janet Leigh: she plays Charlton Heston's wife, and there's a whole part of the movie that revolves around her staying over night in a remote motel. There are a few obvious connections between Touch of Evil and another classic of two years later - Hitchcock's Psycho. For instance, the only worker she finds there is a 'slightly' crazy young fella (played by Dennis Weaver). Then she even gets assaulted in her room. I was wondering if someone knows if there's a relations between these two movies, or is it just a coincidence?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:11:17 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »

I've heard about the ToE-Psycho connection before.  I think that there is a rumor that Hitchcock saw ToE and he decided that the Leigh-Weaver parts could sustain a feature-length film.  Interesting if true but personally the scenes in the motel are my least favorite part of ToE.  But the Welles-Heston stand offs are fantastic.   Afro

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:21:34 AM »

One of my absolute favourites. And one of the visually most stunning films ever. It's so easy to recognize in the long version the scenes not directed by Welles.

10/10 of course

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »

I've heard about the ToE-Psycho connection before.  I think that there is a rumor that Hitchcock saw ToE and he decided that the Leigh-Weaver parts could sustain a feature-length film.

That's exactly what crossed my mind; the setting is almost identical.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »

I loved this movie but it's been awhile since I've seen it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »

Other than the justly famous opening and the excellent final moments--in which the Man From Radio does what he does best again--this film bores me to death.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
twood
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:15:08 AM »

This film is fekking immense.  Top quality.

Although of course, any film that has Charlton Heston darkened with a silly mexican tash is always going to be a gooden.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »

Other than the justly famous opening and the excellent final moments--in which the Man From Radio does what he does best again--this film bores me to death.

When I put "boring" and "Welles" in the same sentence, "The Stranger" and "The Trial" comes to mind.   Wink

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »

When I put "boring" and "Welles" in the same sentence, "The Stranger" and "The Trial" comes to mind. Wink

No, no, no... The Stranger I haven't watched yet, but The Trail aka (Le procŤs) is a superb adaptation and a full-blown masterpiece!

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »

No, no, no... The Stranger I haven't watched yet, but The Trail aka (Le procŤs) is a superb adaptation and a full-blown masterpiece!

Its interesting but some parts take forever and the ending is ridiculous.  The pinwheel opening is better than the whole movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:50:30 PM »

Its interesting but some parts take forever and the ending is ridiculous.  The pinwheel opening is better than the whole movie.
Pretty much agree. Welles and Perkins are good, though, and I always enjoy seeing Romy Schneider.

DD, what do you think of the version done with Kyle McLaughlin?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 11:49:12 PM »

Man, you're from Montana. All is forgiven. Cheesy

DD, what do you think of the version done with Kyle McLaughlin?

I once (back in the 90s) caught bits of it on TV, but never sat down at watched it after. Why, is it supposed to be good? Hidden McLaughlin gem?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20:44 AM »

In some ways it's more faithful to Kafka. For example, the ending is as Kafka wrote it (although he never in fact finished the novel, Kafka indicated how he wanted it to end). Welles takes a lot of liberties (changing the time period, for one).

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »

I always enjoy seeing Romy Schneider.

I definitely agree.   Smiley

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »

Man, you're from Montana. All is forgiven. Cheesy

Hawaii actually, I just live in Montana.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM