Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:49:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol aka Black God, White Devil (1964)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol aka Black God, White Devil (1964)  (Read 5944 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_e_o_Diabo_na_Terra_do_Sol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058006/

I finally got a watchable version of this highly influential Brazilian Western. It was directed by Glauber Rocha, a Brazilian director with whose works I'm not very familiar, but hopefully that will be fixed in the near future.

I know it heavily influenced the works of Alejandro Jodorowsky, with its symbolism and mysticism, and those of a few other authors. Possibly even Sergio Leone's and Martin Scorsese's. It is even written that Leone's idea to use the dusters in OUATITW originated from here (in Wikipedia, although citation is needed).

I'll watch it and report back ASAP.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »

Rocha definitely had some influence on the development of the SW, but on the other hand Ford was using duster-jackets for decades beforehand, from the Clantons in My Darling Clementine to Liberty Valance and his gang in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. I think it's a bit much to attribute that innovation to Rocha.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »

Yeah, I'd say the dusters came to Leone via Ford.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »

Yeah, I also don't much believe in that. Not to discredit Rocha's movie as a influence, but Leone must have fallen in love with the dusters elsewhere; maybe watching John Ford's movies, or more probably studying Matthew Brady's American Civil War photos.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:34:59 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »

Set in the hells of the sertão lands, Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol is the story of a poor peasant who is forced to flee with his wife from after he kills a wealthy evil 'businessman', and thus starts an adventure through the inhospitable lands of the Brazilian northeast. After the departure from their home, Manuel and his wife Rosa subsequently join two parties: first a sect of religious nuts, and then a group of bandits. These two episodes do not have a important role in the main story arc, as a matter of fact they don't have any palpable plot role at all, but as the movie itself does not much rely on the main story (it's used only as a wrap-around) they serve as main columns for Rocha's exploration of how poverty and poor human conditions serve as fertile ground for fanaticism, both religious and non-religion affiliated.

(If someone decides to watch it, I'm open for interpretations.)

DEODNTDS is not really a W, more like a Brazilian version of a W, but it's a good movie nevertheless. The W elements are set to the minimum: apart from the rural banditry (cangaçeiros) being the counterpart of American robbers and Old West bandits in general, a couple of gunshots here and there and a cattle affair that sets the plot rolling is all you'll get. So if you're expecting classic W action and things like that this is not the movie you're looking for. However, the movie is very interesting; rich of substance and well paced. It flows consistently, regardless of a whole parade of abstract motives being used and explored.

The movie is imbued with a beautiful soundtrack, that is (from what I understand) composed primarily of rhythmic Brazilian folk songs. I'm no expert in this matter, but from what I could find on the net Heitor Villa-Lobos (whose works were used in the movie) is supposed to be a great man in this department.

Great recommendation (though obviously not for everyone).

7.5/10

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:16:45 AM »

I finally got a watchable version of this highly influential Brazilian Western. It was directed by Glauber Rocha, a Brazilian director with whose works I'm not very familiar, but hopefully that will be fixed in the near future.

I've heard a lot about this guy too but have never seen anything by him. I'd like to catch up on his, apparently very influential and stylish, movies too. Where did you get your copy D.Devil?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »

Where did you get your copy D.Devil?

From a friend... Wink

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:44:16 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 02:54:06 PM »

I, too, agree that DEODNTDS is not for everyone. Having watched recently O Cangaceiro (1953, Lima Barreto) I expected something much different. While O Cangaceiro is actually a Western that takes place in O Cangaco do Brasil, DEODNTDS does not have the same ingredients.

=SPOILERS=

This movie is more about social injustice and how some people became outlaws forced by circumstances. In this movie, Manuel kills a "terrateniente" who did beat Manuel after refusing to pay him for two cows, then Manuel kills two men sent after him, but not before one of them kills his mother. Manuel takes his wife Rosa and follows a "saint" (Sebastian), a  leader of a religious sect who is totally nuts but has many followers. Manuel also becomes involved with the cult while Rosa tries to make him leave. Eventually, Manuel believes his wife is possessed by the devil and Sebastian tells him he needs to bring a small child and his wife, because only after Rosa's has been cleansed with the blood of an innocent Manuel will become purified.  Sebastain kills the baby with a long knife (a "peixeira")  and Rosa kills Sebastain. Meanwhile, a hitman named Antonio das Mortes (a cangaceiro killer) has been hired by another "terrateniente" and a catholic priest to kill Sebastian and his followers. The priest argued that since "saint" Sebastian came to the area, people are following him and there is no more money coming into the church from baptisms, weddings, etc. Antonio accepts the "contract" and starts shooting at the crowd of religious fanatics just after Rosa has stabbed Sebastian to death. Antonio kills all except for Manuel and Rosa, who now join what's left of the gang of cangaceiros commanded by the famous Lampiao (who had been recently killed) and now is commanded by another cangaceiro named Corisco.

I'll leave it here, there are enough spoilers already in my comments.

The story is actually a ballad that's being sung during the movie by the blind man "ciego Julio".

7.5/10

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »

You can watch the movie in Youtube (the first few minutes are missing, though...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfj-qcdegs&feature=PlayList&p=9973FB2D352D2D49&index=0

Update: here are the first 12 minutes from a different version....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArKNk6s-8vo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyjkqQJiy4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zloA7C0uAU&NR=1

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:43:18 PM by Bandolero » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »

I hear the sequel is even better.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »

I hear the sequel is even better.

Antonio das Mortes? That's next on my "to watch" list.  Wink

Here is a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxcZ5iwAoA4

The version I have is in Portuguese with Spanish subs.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:42:09 PM by Bandolero » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »

I still don't have O Dragão da Maldade contra o Santo Guerreiro aka Antonio das Mortes in my collection but I'm working on it. I've heard it has a more explicit Western approach than DEODNTDS, so I suspect it must be more appealing and entertaining in a classic sense. Plus, it's in color.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »

I didn't know until now that the movie actually takes place in the 1940s !

As Wiki says:
The film starts in the 1940s, during another drought in the sertão...

I mean, how was I supposed to guess that? The Brazilian sertão was, from what I know (and I'm not saying I know much, but I presume I know more than the common ignoramus), a pretty homogeneous socio-economical unit with very little change for the better or cultural influence until somewhere in the late 1950s or 1960s. I always assumed the story of the movie was placed somewhere in between 1900 and 1925, or that it wasn't determined at all. Because from what I know (Azn Grin), the cangaços existed from like the 1850s and were exterminated somewhere in the mid 1930s, not completely but most of them (accent on Lampião's gang).

Antonio kills all except for Manuel and Rosa, who now join what's left of the gang of cangaceiros commanded by the famous Lampiao (who had been recently killed) and now is commanded by another cangaceiro named Corisco.

Uh, I somehow missed that, I thought those were the remains of just any group of cangaços that somehow escaped the wrath of the federal police/army...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:14:46 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »

The version I have is in Portuguese with Spanish subs.

Ah, that must be it, I watched it with the English subtitles. I noticed they were imperfect early on, but had no alternative...

Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »

I would love to see O'Cangaceiro (1953) mentioned above, and the sequel.
Is there a right and proper DVD somewhere in the world?

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM