Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:56:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ramrod (1947)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ramrod (1947)  (Read 2420 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »

De Toth directs this noir-ish western starring Joel Mcrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore and the enchanting Arleen Whelan. An interesting take on the cattle vs. sheep/land battle sub genre, although it loses steam about 2/3 of the way through. There were so many interesting angles this film could have taken, unfortunately it takes the safe route and stumbles to the finish line. Still, very respectable and very much worth a watch. My disappointment stems from how well this movie builds in the first half.

*Forgot to mention that the female characters actually improve the movie, Lake's character is probably the most interesting character in the film.

a generous 7/10. should have been great.

******SPOILER*****

BELOW

The overlong, murky shootout between DeFore and Preston Foster cripples the film in the third act.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:42:17 AM by Tuco Harmonica » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

De Toth directs this noir-ish western starring Joel Mcrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore and the enchanting Arleen Whelan. An interesting take on the cattle vs. sheep/land battle sub genre, although it loses steam about 2/3 of the way through. There were so many interesting angles this film could have taken, unfortunately it takes the safe route and stumbles to the finish line. Still, very respectable and very much worth a watch. My disappointment stems from how well this movie builds in the first half.

*Forgot to mention that the female characters actually improve the movie, Lake's character is probably the most interesting character in the film.

a generous 7/10. should have been great.

******SPOILER*****

BELOW

The overlong, murky shootout between DeFore and Preston Foster cripples the film in the third act.

Watched this the other night myself and I agree 110% with your analysis of it. I thought it was a great story, great characters, but the night-time shootout was borderline tedious.

SPOILERS AHEAD

At least the climax where McCrea guns down the villain with a shotgun makes up for it. That was pretty badass.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »

Definitely. I loved the shot in which the tip of the shotgun suddenly appears in the frame. De Toth's westerns (the three of four I've seen) were all visually impressive.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM