Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2018, 06:27:09 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ramrod (1947)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Ramrod (1947)  ( 2832 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« : June 02, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »

De Toth directs this noir-ish western starring Joel Mcrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore and the enchanting Arleen Whelan. An interesting take on the cattle vs. sheep/land battle sub genre, although it loses steam about 2/3 of the way through. There were so many interesting angles this film could have taken, unfortunately it takes the safe route and stumbles to the finish line. Still, very respectable and very much worth a watch. My disappointment stems from how well this movie builds in the first half.

*Forgot to mention that the female characters actually improve the movie, Lake's character is probably the most interesting character in the film.

a generous 7/10. should have been great.

******SPOILER*****

BELOW

The overlong, murky shootout between DeFore and Preston Foster cripples the film in the third act.

« : June 02, 2009, 10:42:17 AM Tuco Harmonica »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #1 : June 02, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »

De Toth directs this noir-ish western starring Joel Mcrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore and the enchanting Arleen Whelan. An interesting take on the cattle vs. sheep/land battle sub genre, although it loses steam about 2/3 of the way through. There were so many interesting angles this film could have taken, unfortunately it takes the safe route and stumbles to the finish line. Still, very respectable and very much worth a watch. My disappointment stems from how well this movie builds in the first half.

*Forgot to mention that the female characters actually improve the movie, Lake's character is probably the most interesting character in the film.

a generous 7/10. should have been great.

******SPOILER*****

BELOW

The overlong, murky shootout between DeFore and Preston Foster cripples the film in the third act.

Watched this the other night myself and I agree 110% with your analysis of it. I thought it was a great story, great characters, but the night-time shootout was borderline tedious.

SPOILERS AHEAD

At least the climax where McCrea guns down the villain with a shotgun makes up for it. That was pretty badass.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #2 : June 02, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »

Definitely. I loved the shot in which the tip of the shotgun suddenly appears in the frame. De Toth's westerns (the three of four I've seen) were all visually impressive.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #3 : March 16, 2018, 07:27:19 AM »

I'm not a western fan in general, but as this one's sometimes called a noir-ish western and it has Veronica Lake in it, I couldn't resist getting the UK blu-ray...

The start of the movie was a bit odd (in a good way), it felt like I entered the movie 10 minutes after it had started, with a bunch of set-up having already happened, leaving it up to me to connect the dots while things moved at a pretty rapid pace in the first few scenes. Whether that was intentional or not, or simply me trying to figure out the lingo (it took me a bit to realize that 'the stage' referred to the stage coach ;D ), I liked it, it drew me in. The moral ambiguity that kept cropping up in the story was also really nice, and it definitely helped make this feel like a noir western (someone shooting someone else in the back at close range was also a nice touch, have to say).

Thankfully Veronica didn't disappoint me, she nails her femme fatale-like role. Husband and director De Toth also knows how to film her, he's not afraid to show how tiny she was in real life, but he also uses camera angles to show how strong and determined her character is (esp with the scene where Lake and McCrea first meet in a room, the camera shoots her from an upward angle and McCrea from a downward angle). Also good performances from the rest of the cast, esp Don DeFore, both his character and his performance were great to watch.

Like I said, I'm not really into westerns in general, so I have very little to compare this against. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will revisit it (and not just for the commentary track that comes with the blu-ray). Definitely an 8/10 for me.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : March 16, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »

I'm not a western fan in general, but as this one's sometimes called a noir-ish western and it has Veronica Lake in it, I couldn't resist getting the UK blu-ray...

The start of the movie was a bit odd (in a good way), it felt like I entered the movie 10 minutes after it had started, with a bunch of set-up having already happened, leaving it up to me to connect the dots while things moved at a pretty rapid pace in the first few scenes. Whether that was intentional or not, or simply me trying to figure out the lingo (it took me a bit to realize that 'the stage' referred to the stage coach ;D ), I liked it, it drew me in. The moral ambiguity that kept cropping up in the story was also really nice, and it definitely helped make this feel like a noir western (someone shooting someone else in the back at close range was also a nice touch, have to say).

Thankfully Veronica didn't disappoint me, she nails her femme fatale-like role. Husband and director De Toth also knows how to film her, he's not afraid to show how tiny she was in real life, but he also uses camera angles to show how strong and determined her character is (esp with the scene where Lake and McCrea first meet in a room, the camera shoots her from an upward angle and McCrea from a downward angle). Also good performances from the rest of the cast, esp Don DeFore, both his character and his performance were great to watch.

Like I said, I'm not really into westerns in general, so I have very little to compare this against. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will revisit it (and not just for the commentary track that comes with the blu-ray). Definitely an 8/10 for me.

I can't rememberv if i ever saw this one so thanks for the writeup.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines