Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 05:02:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Does Joe have a love intrest in the girl
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Joe have a love intrest in the girl  (Read 10221 times)
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2002, 04:54:16 AM »

After watching the movie through again, i couldn't quite grasp joes intrest in marisol (right spelling?)  

ON first viewing she is definetly a love intrest at first and then moves on to just being the figure he needs to save from this war.  But on more recent viewings i tend to go with the idea that from the beggining he feels for her plight as a locked up woman, she looks very repressed in the first scene.  

this would also follow suit with the rest of the trilogy.  In none of the other movies does Clint have a love intrest, because he transcends that as he is the man with no emotion.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2002, 04:55:03 AM by caius » Logged

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2002, 11:17:36 AM »

Doesn't Joe say that Marisol and the boy reminds him of his past and there was nobody around to help?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 09:56:14 PM »

i have to agree with cigar joe. altough, i will say, he sure wants a piece of her in the beginning. at first he sees her as just another whore but when he gets the full picture he wants to help (if the opportunity permits). i like this take because he is not a hero, rather an anti-hero after his own good and he knows he can't change this.
to add to this, leone extensively spoke about freud. i speculate this senario is a freudian expression, if you will. marisol is an expression of his mother and the child is him, before he became jaded. maybe if someone else had stepped in and helped his mother, he would have a family, live a 'normal' life and have children of his own. i think he feels some type of redemption through helping them-living a happy life vicariously through their happiness or the opportunity to life happily together.

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 05:30:06 AM »

he must feel that he has a debt to the past, although at the beginning there is a twinkle in his eye that men get when they look at women, especially a fine specimen like her.

although on the other hand, he could transcend all sexual desires and be doing what you two say he is doing, making up for something missing in either his parental relationships or his previous love relationships.

But i am more inclined to think that he leans towards being the type who has loved and lost and he doesn't want that to happen to her.  This is why he makes no effort to try and pull women in any of the other movies.  I would state the landlady in a few more dollars as one particular case, but she is very ugly so it would not be a fair test of his libido.

last thing, i did hear that there was a scene cut out of one of leone's movies which had clint having sex with a prostitute.  This may just back up my argument more, there is a reason why leone took it out, to keep this bachelor image up for clint, transcends women.

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
Christopher
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 05:34:39 PM »

Isn't that scene caius mentioned about Eastwood's character being in bed with a woman in the restored version of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

In A Fistful of Dollars, I think at first Joe is attracted to the woman. He looks at her like he's pleased at what he's seeing. But then after he finds out about her situation, he seems to take compassion on her and her family. Maybe this shows him as a real person, with real emotions.

I've wondered who it is that the woman reminds him of from his past.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 03:13:28 AM »

Maybe the woman from GBU left on the cutting room floor?

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 10:10:36 PM »

I dont see any love interest thing at all.

I think in the beginning Joe is wondering why a girl like her is men as bad and mean as the guys whe's with, and he is probably wondering why she is letting treat her son like that.

Near the end after he frees her, he does say something like "I knew someone like you once and no one was around to help."

I have always thought, and still will, think that the person he is referring to is his own mother. Becuase no one was around to help her, he turned out to be the man he was. He had no good up bringing and was not given a good child hood, and he doesnt want her son to see the life he had.

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 07:19:49 AM »

to add to this, leone extensively spoke about freud. i speculate this senario is a freudian expression, if you will. marisol is an expression of his mother and the child is him, before he became jaded. maybe if someone else had stepped in and helped his mother, he would have a family, live a 'normal' life and have children of his own. i think he feels some type of redemption through helping them-living a happy life vicariously through their happiness or the opportunity to life happily together.

Jouissance, it's very clever.
About sex the Western heroe (even anti-heroe) must be angelic.
Only the bads could touch a woman (El Indio, Ramon, Tu co , Franck..) or even talk with a woman (Cheyennes..).The Western heroe is like a middle-age knight : brave, proud and ... virgin.
The magnificent six were bachelors and the 7th left them for a girl
John Wayne in Rio Bravo was terrified by Angie
Overall the Freudian problematic between "Virgin or Whore" is fully included within Western code.
I'm not surprised that Sergio cut all the sexual scenes with Clint (consciously or not)
Too bad for Mara Kup, Marian Koch, and others...

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Sid the Pig
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 10:22:53 AM »

I agree that Joe see's Marisol as his mother and the Little Jesus as himself.
Of course the names also remind us of the bible, and Mary and the baby Jesus, in which case who does Joe relate himself to?

People scare better when they're dyin'.
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 03:18:02 AM »

I agree that Joe see's Marisol as his mother and the Little Jesus as himself.
Of course the names also remind us of the bible, and Mary and the baby Jesus, in which case who does Joe relate himself to?

Joe means Joseph no ? Father and non-father of Jesus

Time is on my side...
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 01:33:09 PM »

... and I guess Sergio is God? Smiley

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 05:44:59 PM »

I always thought that she seminded Joe about his mother, simply as that. And that was why it was so important to help her and the kid.

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 10:07:48 AM »

Joe definitely has the hots for her.  He winds up and really nails her in the snout with that punch in the wine room - in the Dollars trilogy, that counts as foreplay.  He carries her to bed caveman style after that.  Did they edit out the consummation of the act?  Undecided

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 10:13:13 AM »

In FAFDM he shows some interest in the hotellier's wife before meeting her (he asks the kid is she's married) and she definately has an interest in him. but if anything came of it, it's not shown. Maybe he found her ugly.

It's class.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 05:10:46 AM »

In FAFDM he shows some interest in the hotellier's wife before meeting her (he asks the kid is she's married) and she definately has an interest in him. but if anything came of it, it's not shown. Maybe he found her ugly.

I know I did LOL.  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM