Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 03, 2020, 05:28:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Coppola bashes Nicholson, Pacino, and De Niro!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Coppola bashes Nicholson, Pacino, and De Niro!  ( 4882 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« : October 18, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »

This is a bit of a shock to me and I thought I'd share it here with all of you.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=280083&Gt1=7701&silentchk=1&

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Mw/NNrules

« #1 : October 18, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »

This is a bit of a shock to me and I thought I'd share it here with all of you.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=280083&Gt1=7701&silentchk=1&
Very interesting comments, but they were pretty vague, and I certainly didn't agree with everything he said.
Nicholson - Some of his roles are over the top, and he's certainly living "the good life", but I like his performances.
Pacino - I didn't understand what he was getting at, and anything I did get I didn't agree with. He's an actor so he acts. He earned his money, wether it was from good films or bad films (I wouldn't know, still need to see Heat, and Angels in America).
de Niro - I know that Coppola abandoned the de Niro helmed project The Good Shepherd, and I do understand that. He said that it had no emotion, and I agree: it felt like OUaTiA without the feeling.

« : October 18, 2007, 06:02:13 PM Mw/NNrules »
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #2 : October 19, 2007, 05:08:38 AM »

That coming from a guy who basically abandoned film making for ten years to have more time to get even bigger stomach by making wine and having hotels... But I'd really like to know to what extent that interview was "cut and paste"-ed :-X

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
shades

« #3 : October 19, 2007, 06:32:30 AM »

Interesting find TB.  I'm not exactly sure what Coppola's point is - it's a pity we can't see a video of the interview and interpret for ourselves the context and the non verbal communication.

Pacino (67), De Niro (64), Nicholson (70) are getting on a bit now - they've already experienced much more than many ordinary people will - no wonder there's a bit of apathy from time to time.  Coppola seems to be unfairly criticizing them - "they all live off the fat of the land" and "I don't know what any of them want anymore".  Reminds me a bit of Tarantino who used to be a De Niro fan but is critical of how much effort De Niro puts into recent roles.

I thought Pacino looked a bit old in 88 minutes but was the best thing in Ocean's 13. Mrs shades thought De Niro was the best thing in The Good Shepherd and wishes he had been longer on screen.  She thought Nicholson was over the top in The Departed whilst I liked him in The Pledge.  As for Heat - one of the best action films I have seen recently.  The DVD extras are for once reasonable and Pacino who must be no stranger to using guns said Mann's preparation was the most thorough he had ever experienced.  For 3 months the actors practised using live ammunition on a target range and spent a lot of time with both sides - police and criminals.

If I were making a film in which there were roles suitable for Pacino, De Niro and Nicholson and the film's budget could stand their fees, they'd certainly be on my dream cast list.

:)

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #4 : October 19, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »

I agree with what FCC said. All three actors are caricatures of their former screen identities. With that said, I do still enjoy their work on occasion. At least De Niro was ambitious enough to make The Good Shepard. I will give him that.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5 : October 19, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »

I agree with what FCC said. All three actors are caricatures of their former screen identities. With that said, I do still enjoy their work on occasion. At least De Niro was ambitious enough to make The Good Shepard. I will give him that.

And what about the director of The Conversations, the Godfather and Apocalypse Now ??? he isn't even a caricature of himself. He is just nothing more.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #6 : October 19, 2007, 02:10:43 PM »

That coming from a guy who basically abandoned film making for ten years to have more time to get even bigger stomach by making wine and having hotels... But I'd really like to know to what extent that interview was "cut and paste"-ed :-X

Quote from : shades on Today at 09:32:30
Interesting find TB.  I'm not exactly sure what Coppola's point is - it's a pity we can't see a video of the interview and interpret for ourselves the context and the non verbal communication.

I would have to agree with moviesceleton and shades.  I wonder how much of the interview was taken out of context or misrepresented.  This is really getting a lot of play in the media.  When I went to my homepage this morning it was mixed in with the leading news stories.  It's alarming how much seems to be taken out of context and overhyped to give the media something to report.  I'm finding a lot more of it of late it seems.  Even with sports.  They spotlight particular statements that can stir or agitate and then don't provide what followed which could somewhat change the overall perspective.

That being said, I guess the point is to sell more GQ magazines.  I would agree with moviesceleton, if Coppola was being critical of those actors on a personal or professional level, he should look at his own filmography.  And very good point...he had a lot of business interests himself which sure did take him away from film.  I can't be critical of how he earns his livelihood.  I can understand that he could potentially make more money with less risk outside the film industry.  But it definitely doesn't bolster his credibility if he wants to talk about the professional intentions of others in the industry.     

I believe he had interviews, with GQ even, in the past.....where he talked quite a bit about the film industry and the problems he encountered.  I would welcome more of those rants.  I think one of the bigger parts of this problem is what happened to the American film industry.  Those actors and Coppola were part of the last great era of American film....late 60's to mid 70's.   I wish he would speak out more about that as an issue or tell me what he's doing on an independent level or with young filmmakers to recapture some of that maverick filmmaking.

I do hope that his new film coming out in December with Tim Roth and Bruno Ganz is good and a return for him.... and if so, that it's successful.

« : October 19, 2007, 02:39:48 PM Noodles_SlowStir »
Mw/NNrules

« #7 : October 19, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »

I would have to agree with moviesceleton and shades.  I wonder how much of the interview was taken out of context or misrepresented.  This is really getting a lot of play in the media.  When I went to my homepage this morning it was mixed in with the leading news stories.  It's alarming how much seems to be taken out of context and overhyped to give the media something to report.  I'm finding a lot more of it of late it seems.  Even with sports.  They spotlight particular statements that can stir or agitate and then don't provide what followed which could somewhat change the overall perspective.

That being said, I guess the point is to sell more GQ magazines.  I would agree with moviesceleton, if Coppola was being critical of those actors on a personal or professional level, he should look at his own filmography.  And very good point...he had a lot of business interests himself which sure did take him away from film.  I can't be critical of how he earns his livelihood.  I can understand that he could potentially make more money with less risk outside the film industry.  But it definitely doesn't bolster his credibility if he wants to talk about the professional intentions of others in the industry.     

I believe he had interviews, with GQ even, in the past.....where he talked quite a bit about the film industry and the problems he encountered.  I would welcome more of those rants.  I think one of the bigger parts of this problem is what happened to the American film industry.  Those actors and Coppola were part of the last great era of American film....late 60's to mid 70's.   I wish he would speak out more about that as an issue or tell me what he's doing on an independent level or with young filmmakers to recapture some of that maverick filmmaking.

I do hope that his new film coming out in December with Tim Roth and Bruno Ganz is good and a return for him.... and if so, that it's successful.

I agree with you. I think it would be extremely hypocritical of him to be criticising actors whose recent filmographies have been better than his recent productions and funds.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #8 : October 21, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

And what about the director of The Conversation, the Godfather and Apocalypse Now ??? he isn't even a caricature of himself. He is just nothing more.

I don't understand your point.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #9 : October 21, 2007, 05:41:53 PM »

I don't understand your point.

I have the feeling that all the flaws he sees in Pacino and Co are his flaws. According to the trailer of his latest movie, and according to the one he did in 2007.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #10 : October 21, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »

I will have to reserve all judgement until I see the movie. I am not defending FCC's later work in any way, but I do agree with what he said, albeit somewhat ironic.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #11 : October 21, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »

I will have to reserve all judgement until I see the movie. I am not defending FCC's later work in any way, but I do agree with what he said, albeit somewhat ironic.

I can agree. Still, I would be surprized that anything REALLY good comes out of this movie : i don't feel passion in FFC anymore.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #12 : October 21, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »

I can agree. Still, I would be surprized that anything REALLY good comes out of this movie : i don't feel passion in FFC anymore.

Neither do I.

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #13 : March 13, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »

Since he no longer makes cinematic masterpieces that get the top rankings in IMDB's top 250, he probably wants to take his anger out on others.  :)

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines