Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 09:06:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Once Upon A Time Western Map
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once Upon A Time Western Map  (Read 5036 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2004, 05:49:16 PM »

Ok it would be fun to make a map of the Leone West or even expand it into a Spaghetti West Map. A map so to speak of another parallel universe

It wouldn't necessarily resemble an factual map but it should contain all the towns and references to towns and what named physical features are mentioned in the movies.

Off the top of my head there is:

A part of Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas

Towns:

San Miguel
Tucumcarri
El Paso
White Rocks
Agua Caliente
Glorietta Pass
Fort Union
Batterville Prison
Sad Hill Cemetary

Tuco mentions the name of his brother's mission in the extended version I think it was Apache Canyon anyone remember?

From the Spaghetti Westerns in America a sharp eyed poster listed the towns listed on the tickets from Mortons Railroad:

Flagstone, Aubrey, Aztec Pass, Prescott, Fort Wingate, Valencia, Albequerque, Santa Fe.  And of course we also have Cattle Corner Station, and the future Sweet Water. And lets not forget Lionel's Trading Post in Monument Valley

Physical Features:

"Monument Valley" of course, and Flagstaff is in the "San Francisco" mts. and at the edge of the "Painted Desert".

I would have to assume the river in AFOD is the Rio Grande along the Tex-Mex border, and the same except farther north in New Mexico Territory in GBU.  

The desert in GBU the only one that comes close would be "Journado de Muerto" which is fitting for the treck with Blondie & Tuco. The two mountian ranges on either side of the desert are the "Black Range" and the "San Andres Mountians.

Glorietta Pass along with Ft. Union are at the bottom end of the "Sangre de Cristo" Mountians.

El Paso is at the edge of the "Diablo Plateau"and at the southern end of the "Tullarosa Valley"  

Tucumcari is at the northern end of the "Pecos Plains"

Frank was at the Navajo Caves? can't remember. Jill was from New Orleans, Cheyenne mentions Alamagordo or was it Alamosa?

In FOD all I remember is Mesa Verde, I haven't seen this movie in such a long time all who are familiar with it add to this please, and anything I forgot.

cj

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:11:54 AM »

The  river of "Langstone's Bridge" and the Sad Hill cemetery (and the Betterville prison, I believe) are not supposed to be in New Mexico or Texas but a lot far to east from there.
After Tuco and Blondie leaves the mission, and before they meet the Union Cavalry, Tuco read a map and say: "Here's the Sierra Madalena, here we cross the Rio Grande...it's a long way to go... and then to north-east through entire Texas, and then...".
This at least in the italian dvd, I don't know if is the same in others countries.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 04:58:02 AM »

The  river of "Langstone's Bridge" and the Sad Hill cemetery (and the Betterville prison, I believe) are not supposed to be in New Mexico or Texas but a lot far to east from there.
After Tuco and Blondie leaves the mission, and before they meet the Union Cavalry, Tuco read a map and say: "Here's the Sierra Madalena, here we cross the Rio Grande...it's a long way to go... and then to north-east through entire Texas, and then...".
This at least in the italian dvd, I don't know if is the same in others countries.  

You are right, I remember this too now that would make Langestone's bridge possibly at the Texas-Louisiana border on the Sabine River or a the northeast Texas-Arkansas border on the Red River. The other possibility is Sad Hill is within Arkansas or Louisiana if in Arkansas the next two major rivers are the Ouichita and then the Arkansas River before you reach the Mississippi (too big for any type of bridge). In Louisiana its pretty flat country, so its a better fit for Arkansas.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 05:02:53 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 11:00:15 AM »

Could even be to east of Mississippi river.
I read, probably in "Something to do with Death", that Corbucci said about spanish landscapes: "Almeria is like Arizona, or at least like we imagine Arizona. Burgos instead is like Virginia". I don't know if can be true, but I think you have to find a place similar to Burgos mountains.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 11:01:10 AM by piribiriboing » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 03:43:06 PM »

Well  Arkansas has the Ouichita Mtns more rolling hills and they are about 700 to 800 ft high right near the Red River.  They are at the edge of the Great Plains and might be grassland interspersed with patches of trees. Not unlike the scenery at Sad Hill.

Kermit what does the transition from plains to Louisiana look like maybe you've even been around the Louisiana Arkansas border country, thats close to your neck of the woods?

Farther east is much more forested and greener.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 04:01:56 AM »

For two guys on horseback, Blondie & Tuco sure got around.  Greed is a powerful motivator!

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 03:57:48 PM »

By the time Colonel Mortimer hopped off the train in Tucumcari, Morton and his ilk had left their shiny metal slime trails crisscrossing the Ratlands. This is map of the railroads in 1880:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 04:01:19 PM by General Sibley » Logged

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 07:22:29 PM »

Yea by 1880 there were many, in 1860 if I remember there were a few rail lines in Texas that ran from the coast basically north, not many ran East-West. I don't remember if Arkansas had many and I think Missouri did in fact the transcontinental was getting started. Also  I belive Louisiana had a few too.

KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 03:54:11 PM »

Well  Arkansas has the Ouichita Mtns more rolling hills and they are about 700 to 800 ft high right near the Red River.  They are at the edge of the Great Plains and might be grassland interspersed with patches of trees. Not unlike the scenery at Sad Hill.

Kermit what does the transition from plains to Louisiana look like maybe you've even been around the Louisiana Arkansas border country, thats close to your neck of the woods?

Farther east is much more forested and greener.
hi cj, one word. swamp. interesting how things change geography towards texas although i always seem to be stuck in the back of a ryder windowless rent a van 6 weeks at a time. i jus want a motel. right now i'm helping out w/ the family business way up here in upper east tennessee bordering N carolina, virgina, kentucky near petersberg which resembles the langston's bridge sequence.
 towards baton rouge the geography begins to rapidly change to hily country will poder some more and try to post something we can use.  Grin

BTW the band just got back from w. canada and did a gig in butte, montana. the're now on a blues cruise somewhere below cuba.  talk about why am not there  Huh

« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 03:57:46 PM by KERMIT » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 05:35:54 PM »

when i first went down to N.O.  the band offices were on earhard blvd.   all i can rememeber is
more train tracks i've ever seen.  and some wern't in use which created more tracks.  we used to work on our music inside an old deserted boxcar.  

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 04:32:34 AM »

Oh too bad you missed Butte, Montana Kermit, known as the city that's a "Mile High and a Mile Deep"for the old Berkley Pit copper mine.

Used to be a lot of traditional mines until Anaconda Minning Co bought up the majority of them up and started the pit, it swallowd upp a lot of the old town.

Butte had the rep as being the toughest town in Montana lots of violence and rival gangs from the beginning. The FBI actually has an office there, and its sort of a punnishment to be sent to Butte, lol.

On a Leone connection side note Dashiel Hammet's book "Red Harvest" was supposed to be based on Butte.  Yohimbo was supposedly based on Red Harvest, and you know the rest.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 05:04:03 PM »

Ok, now in "The Great Silence" all the action takes place around Snow Hill, Utah, don't know if there is a real place named that or not but Frank Wolf the sherrif was taking Loco (Klaus Kinsky) to a jail in Tonopah  which is in Nevada so fictitiously Snow Hill would probably be near the Utah-Nevada border.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 08:28:27 AM »

There's also a Tonopah in Arizona, west of Phoenix.  But I don't know how long it's been there - it's more like a big truck stop.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM