Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:07:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Buffalo Bill (1944)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buffalo Bill (1944)  (Read 1885 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »

This has one of the best photography I ever saw in a movie, it is a pleasure to watch. But it is not well organized as to plot structure, quite uneven  both in the single episodes and in the general conception. For example, the finale episode of the WWS is too short and it isn't developed adequately to lead to add to the general effect of the movie. The schizophrenic stance of Cody towards civilizations and the Indian is also left there when it could have made a good center of dramatic tension. Still the movie has great scenes, great momentw like the battle of Bonnet Gorge or the penny arcade. Linda Darnell's face is less bloated than in later movies, but O'Hara is  at her top, though not being a beauty.
8\10

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

I completely agree with your synopsis. This is one of the best looking 3-strip technicolor movies I've seen, especially the night scenes which are gorgeous.  The battle scene is amazing from all aspects of film making. I agree with your score as well - even though the movie falls apart once Bill leaves the west.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »

This movie's like an interesting semi-bore, don't know how else to describe it. Mostly mediocre, but with interesting episodes every now and then. Joel McCrea looks like Buffalo Bill, but his behavior during the whole movie is like a total misfire. (Can't decide how much should McCrea be blamed for.) The amateurish narration (yeah, I understand, it's supposed to follow his life, not tell stories, but I still think that's a poor excuse) doesn't help this either, and the cherry-on-top romance with Louisa Frederici (played by the gorgeous Maureen O'Hara, btw) seems like a laughable excuse to chew some script off. Pretty much all the drama felt insubstantial, I don't feel like going into details. That wraps up pretty well all already said above.

Anthony Quinn slightly restrained in the role of the Cheyenne Chief - Yellow Hand, but worthy of notice. As well as BB's two sidekicks: 1) Ned Buntline (played by Thomas Mitchell); who always seems to be in the circle of happening and land on his feet, and 2) the old soldier Chips McGraw (played by Edgar Buchanan, but I kept thinking it was Slim Pickens); another fella who gets fucked by the government's loyal bureaucrats.

One thing I did like very much, though, was the critique of the press. The way it was done back then. The same way it's still done today.

6/10

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:16:51 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:18:37 AM »

I thought this was more of a Trapper Western. Before I actually watched it, that is.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »

Finally saw this, agree with all comments 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM